News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
Question for Dentrobate: why did you vote for a subway extension? I seem to recall a fiery debate only days ago where you vehemently defended the current RT technology and positioned yourself against a subway extension to STC.

Choice quotes:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=162023&postcount=339
DENTROBATE54 said:
Hello, these hundreds of thousands of more people already use transit, they don't scowl "I wish this was a subway I was riding on", they grin and bare it or at least I do. Why stress over something as trivial as a <2 min interchange at Kennedy Stn?

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=161957&postcount=334
DENTROBATE54 said:
Those who purport the urban myth that is Transfer City feciciously do. How arbitrary a number is 3kms for a Bloor-Danforth extension to Scarbourough Centre, 2kms for YUS to Yonge/Steeles and another 5kms to York U? The rest of the city doesn't benefit from that alone.

However if for the fraction of the cost we implement city-wide BRT/LRT infrastructure and construct minimalist subways (pre-metros from the airport to Markham Rd and within the downtown core from the Beaches to Humber Loop) then in fact we'll be benefiting any or all of 2.5 million people, not just 20,000 for the VCC extension and 40,000 for a BD to STC assist.

And, most damning of them all:

http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=161984&postcount=337
DENTROBATE54 said:
However if Bomber can build new ICTS cars to replace the dying ones, as Unimaginative claims, then there'd be no need to dismantle the RT line. The tracks are electrified and naturally generate snow-melting heat. If excessive snow hasn't stopped, granted impeded but not halted service on YUS/BD's outdoor sections I'm sure we can figure a way to overcome this slight on the SRT without a costly subway extension that won't even serve any new unchartered territories.

So... any particular reason for this abrupt change of heart? Or do you just support different ideas in every thread?

One step at a time, man. One step at a time. Right now our system is stuck in 1980 at best.

So we'll un-stuck it by bulding a subway proposed in the 1980s with almost the exact same parameters, not considering better alternatives like a Queen subway tie-in? Right :rolleyes:!

The TTC need look no further for inspiration than the wunderkind phenomenon that is YRT's VIVA network (if only every city had one [sigh!]).

Question for Dentrobate: why did you vote for a subway extension? I seem to recall a fiery debate only days ago where you vehemently defended the current RT technology and positioned yourself against a subway extension to STC.

So... any particular reason for this abrupt change of heart? Or do you just support different ideas in every thread?

Before I answer your question may I just say I'm at all not surprised how most of the other voters voted. I guess personalities do dictate life decisions. However back to your point. It's not so much the technology used to get to STC that bothers me. Rather it's the reproduction of the same service (minus Ellesmere, Midland, McCowan) without introducing mass transit to anywhere else new within Scarborough. The ideology that all commters through Scarborough ARE destined for SCC and that rerouting of buses to new terminals would just create another useless transfer is a straw man lie of convenience.

This 'extension', knowing the TTC, would be done in the stingiest manner possible forcing commuters out of organic transit settings into hydro corridors and post-industrial outcrops (not unlike today's SRT). So keeping score, we'd be gaining 2 mins from not interchanging but wind up less connected than now. Then there's the matter of no new areas served.

I could've gone with the SRT to Malvern option admittedly, but I chose subway because Torontonians have become so spoiled by it, they wouldn't comprehend BD's natural shelf life truly ended back at Victoria Park. So yes I support a subway to Scarborough Centre, having a change of heart as you put it, but airing on the side of caution when it A) doesn't route in the ideal Brimley/Eglinton-McCowan/Lawrence alignment and B) dooms eastern Scarborough to an upwards of an hour bus commute to/from STC when at least Malvern Centre would be 5 mins away from Sheppard/Progress.

PS- I vote where I feel the greater good is being met, maybe in time a subway to Malvern's gates won't be too inconceivable by a majority either.

Corrected. Long term planning ftw!

Funny how long-term planning didn't come into play when you proposed terminating 3 transit lines at a future GO station in Malvern...

Before we start running billions and billions of dollars worth of LRT to the exurban fringes of the 416, it would be prudent to at least look at a map showing where future GO lines lie. The case against the Morningside LRT is particularly damning since it crosses the Lakeshore GO line twice where stations already exist before terminating at the future Midtown/Pickering GO line (M.O.2020 project #17). The Morningside bus' ridership is 16,500 per day: 3 intervening GO opportunities will lower that number to the point that the LRT may only be carrying a few hundred people per hour per direction.

Dentrobate: it does not take over an hour to get from Malvern to STC by bus. You can get from Malvern to Finch station in less than an hour by taking the Finch East bus all the way to Yonge.

The Scarborough ALRT: Providing that elusive one-seat ride...

Everyone: Good topic on the Scarborough ALRT-I remember riding this line back in the 80s after it was open-I recall that UTDC designed the system.
It seems that many would like a TTC Danforth Subway extension to provide the elusive one-seat ride but the option to extend the line should be looked into also.

I recall that transfers between lines can mean loss of ridership-outside of major cities like NYC riders do not normally like to transfer between lines-making transit less convenient for some. Everyone would like a one-seat ride to their destination but in some cases transfers between lines are considered necessary evils by some and totally shunned by others.

I wonder if some people avoid using the Scarborough LRT because of the Kennedy transfer-and how much larger ridership would be if that line was constructed as a B/D Subway extension instead. My thoughts here-LI MIKE

I'm living in Thunder Bay right now for university, and I have seen a Mark II trainset behind the Bombardier factory with the skytrain markings on it

Dentrobate: it does not take over an hour to get from Malvern to STC by bus. You can get from Malvern to Finch station in less than an hour by taking the Finch East bus all the way to Yonge.

I said 'upwards' of an hour. It's not at all unbelievable that someone starting out from say Morningside Heights would be commutely endlessly to the Town Centre. I think alot of these LRT vs. subway debates could be appeased so long as the SRT extension/expansion is designed such that it could one day accomodate subway cars. You of all people should know that if we can reduce travel times on buses by 50-80% by building mass transit outwards towards Malvern (or insert any other substantial suburban neighborhood demographic), for relative pennies on the dollar we should go for it. Like I said before keeping Sheppard on Sheppard Avenue is cheaper than a jog through industrial sprawl, not to mention serving an area of limitless potential.

Back