News   Jul 17, 2024
 355     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 775     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Fantasy Renderings

You are at the corner of Church and Front Street East, Toronto. What do you want--a Max Dudler Architect-inspired infusion or more P+S pastiche?
u0v.png

qcx.png

c3yg.png

sxv.png

The idea: lower 4.5 storeys would be red brick with metal or other material (corten? Different colour/material at any rate) "frames" above. Lighten the building's look as it rises from a "heavy" base with arches at retail level that match the building bookending it. The transition between "podium" and "tower" is done via a "faux dormer" look--compare to buildings across the street.

See how the NimbyTect thinks?
y9.png

You get a naughty view of both the Flatiron & the Berczy--horrors!
4u1c.png

The choice is yours:
fa8.png

Last edited:
Urbandreamer, I must say generally your concepts are unique, but I don't always love them. This one though, is absolutely awesome! I'd love to see this go up for sure!

retro hipster, you are going right here:
3aq.png

Inspired by the nimbies across Bathurst--ie vintage warehouses--retro hipster seeks 10s of pizza pizza eating loft-loving hipsters--renters perhaps?
a33l.png

If College and Spadina is able to get 15-28s towers, the same conditions should apply here, right? Intersection of 2 streetcar lines, surrounded by 6-13s buildings (BJL's Harlowe project is really just a stone's throw away), and a prime corner screaming for more density, retro hipster is the only solution.:)
yxxa.png

Inspired by the past yet utterly modern.

retro hipster--die!

It's 2030 and a couple of things have happened:

1)Another real estate bull cycle is under way.
2)I am the mayor of Nimbyville.
3)I have just banned all development except in the area (roughly) between Bloor, Bathurst, Lake Ontario, and Parliament.
4)Construction has begun on a new downtown subway line--From Spadina Stn down Spadina Avenue with stations at Harbord, College, Dundas, Queen, King, Bremner, Queens Quay, Yonge, Queens Quay East, up Parliament Street to Bloor Street East with stations at the Distillery District, King East, Queen East, halfway between Dundas East & Carlton, Wellesley East and a new station at Parliament and Bloor.
5)Construction has begun on 2 new "local" streetcar lines that loop via Dupont/St George/McCaul/Simcoe/Front/Bay/Davenport and Church/Queens Quay East/Sherbourne/Bloor.
6)The vision: 300,000 new residents within this "downtown" area.

Let's start at Queen and Spadina shall we?
pzs7.png

Building #1 & #2: Southwest corner Queen and Spadina, looking West:
9n35.png

Building #3 & 4 are in the conceptual design stage now.

Building 5 - 20 -- to come?

NimbyTect goes urban planning :)

Last edited:
Hey Nimbies hope y'all enjoy your future Nabe'hood!

Phase 3 begins to fill in the empty space behind those retail units between Soho Square & Spadina on the north side of Queen West. Check out google maps and you'll see there's plenty of space for infill. Building 3 is in that recently-closed Le Chateau single storey space that is hideous and therefore must die a hated NimbyTect death. Maybe something like Le ***soho?
3zl.png

Pitched roofs come in handy in the rain ... and simply look awesome don't ya think?
sfnf.png

fz.png

qkn.png

Building 4 is on the Northwest corner of Queen and Spadina and is well under NimbyTect construction--looking South down Spadina:
2or.png

There's only 26 buildings still to come (I miscalculated in my last post.) :) Gotta fit the 300,000 newbies in somewhere, right?

Last edited:
Bad news: The Nimbies have sent back building #4 for a redesign. What they apparently don't want:
jnle.png

After that setback, what to do?

Building #5 that's what. And it's going right here:
2a6.png

It's replacing this rubbish building:
impg.png

And it's gonna look a bit like:
jfio.png

Queen Street West facade:
l6jc.png

Vanauley Street facade:
v4ob.png

Looking NW with a future phase peeking into view:
7gbm.png

Trying to spook the nimby'hood:
d1b.png

Would you like to see building #6?

Building #6 is going in the block just east of building #5 (above.) It's currently a boring lowrise strip next to several c.1880s buildings that includes the Cameron House--those old beauties are staying as is under my master planning vision.

An early look at it--retrotorian:
uz0.png

Retrotorian--Victorian scale meets origami-inspired lines. Still a WIP as there may be additional storeys added.
1as4.png

Old details inspire the new details without slavishly copying them.

5b3.png

It's like going from the "Jellybean" aesthetic of the 1986 Ford Taurus to the "new edge" design language of the mid-90s Ford Focus.

Back