News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 653     1 

Fantasy Renderings

I have an idea that UT member Atlantis encouraged me to pursue, saying some of you planning geeks could help out with:

A SketchUp plugin that would have either the basics or all of the parameters of Toronto's zoning by-laws built in. Including perhaps any Ontario/Canadian rules etc. So when you build a staircase, a door, setback floors etc would automatically be included in the design.

It would make designing for the real world easier--you could even charge $ for the plugin. I would pay $10+ for such a tool.

Understand what I mean?

Examples of great SketchUp plugins:
http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=323

(I have yet to incorporate plugins into my sketches...there's some great ones that fans of "anything but the box" will be interested to know about ... hint hint...:D)

Oh, and here's another look at beastlyBRUT:
nimbytect11april2013yon.png

Would you live here?

Last edited:
Something a little bit different: urbandreamer goes urban planning dreaming in Mississauga. About a month back I said the Mississauga plan for a streetcar-oriented urban core was rubbish. Not the idea, but the actual vision was rubbish because it envisioned mediocre architecture and mediocre massing. So I'm starting a large-scale sketch of what I think would be better: ms suburban. An early massing concept:

nimbytect15april2013mss.png

If you think it looks screwball European, you'd be right and wrong. It actually is inspired by "pioneer" Canadian towns and cities. It has a 10s height limit--downtown MCC today may have 56s towers, but urban they are not.

Last edited:
Serious question for y'all to answer:

nimbytect20april13625yo.png

Think about that question please--all glazed means the glass curtainwall look; all dressed means brick, metal, glass combo aka more expansive material palette.

Another question: Will Toronto ever grow up to be both Yonge & Smarter?

nimbytect20april2013625.png

The old inspires the new ... the new relates to the old ... vision by NimbyTect.

Last edited:
Ok, what about version 1.1? ;)

The morality police have called and said they want less glass, more flash! Ok boss:

nimbytect23april2013yon.png

Who said Yonge Street has to be just brick & glass? Why not have some fun with the historic streetwall?

nimbytect23april2013yon.png

Yonge Strippers--good for the street or too naughty for your taste?

Last edited:
In the Harbour Plaza & One York thread, Therion said

We have officially entered the age of architecture where balconies are the new major design element. I guess it's quicker and cheaper than coming up with an interesting and original idea.

And I replied:
Mastering sketchup isn't too hard--give me the "idea" and I'll see what I can do.

ProjectEnd kindly provided the specifications:
[The]
site is 10,000sm. I want: 100,000sm of residential GFA, 80,000sm of office GFA and 15,000sm of retail divided among one big-box tenant and 5 smaller units.
With a budget of
$750,000,000 would allow you approximately $360 psf.

Let's get to work shall we?
nimbytect24april2013gar.png

Now a'mass'n some height:
nimbytect24april2013gar.png

Inspiration behind this concept?

The Gardiner. Duh.

Bonus: A special guest appearance by the 10 York nimbies.

Oops I screwed up. I am covering the entire site from York to Bay Street here, so I'm gonna start over. But the concept shall remain--a large plaza elevated to the Gardiner height with retail etc enclosed.

nimbytect25april2013gar.png

Did you know the Toronto tall building guidelines recommends max floorplate of around 8,000 sq ft on tall residential towers? (Exceptions made for "exceptional" architecture.) That means those tall skinny towers you see aA proposing here. By comparison, the tall skinny towers you see here are in the 65s range with 9500 sq ft floorplates! The office building has 28,000 sq ft floorplates. Oh, and the TTBG (toronto tall building guidelines) recommends 75' or so between towers. So you see what sort of design challenge I'm working with?

The design is gonna change--are you ready for the NimbyTect?!

The design is evolving: 30 minutes in SketchUp results in "This is not Gardiner Plaza"

nimbytect26april2013thi.png

But the floorplates are about right--30,000 sq ft for the office building, here on the eastern end of the site and 8,000 sq ft for the condo towers.

The big box retail is spread over 2.5 floors in the green box under the plaza canopy, wrapping around and through the condo tower footprints. The 60,000 sq ft of smaller retail would be partly in the office block podium and partly in the green box, allowing for cafes etc.

I've added some brick to some of the support columns and the plaza--but I may revert back to concrete in future editions. However, colour is needed down here don't you think?

The idea then is to mimic Ice 1 & 2 to the immediate NW, only raising the podium to Gardiner level. The green big box glazing combined with the green roof and likely green plants on the wide ledge wrapping around at Gardiner height is supposed to create a "hedge" look. Bring some green/colour to this dreary stretch of the universe.

Yes, you've got sexy curves. Yep, it's just another balcony trick. No, this is not final.

Is this how the process works at your architecture firm? ;)

Thank God for nimbies! I had designer's block for awhile until the Humbertown nimbies went on a rampage last night. :) Thanks HVRA for inspiring the beginning of another massing idea:

nimbytect15may2013humbu.png

The goal: same number of units and retail square footage as the existing (rejected) proposal but with more surface parking, more green space and reduced building heights. The tallest building is a mere seven storeys! Average height around 5 storeys! No bull**** indeed!

Last edited:
HumBull**** phase one is about complete :) It's a 7s midrise with 25,000sf of retail on the ground floor. It's got a green roof, generous setbacks and I hope--you be the judge--attractive modern architecture.

Flying high over Humbertown in a Nimby Aeroplane:

Plenty of parking spots to land safely! Just like you want HVVRA!

Modern architecture fits in well with the area apartment buildings...modern but not all glass--NimbyTect hears ya!

Note the generous setbacks from the local roads? Your choice: parking or public space depending on demand!

Cheers,
NimbyTect

Last edited:
While sitting on my rooftop terrace--so flat I could go lawn bowling with the HVVRA seniors :p--I started wondering what HumBull**** phase 2 would look like.
nimbytect16may2013humbu.png

I soon tired of staring at the Etobicoke skyline and got to work.

The result? More of the same ... only slightly different. A 6s midrise loft-style building featuring huge terraces at the PH level and a green roof--shared amenity--up top.

Phase 1 & 2: conservative modernism meets its match at Humbertown.

Phase 3?

Last edited:
HumBull**** phase 3 continues. Changed the massing a bit (gotta make a buck here :)) and made it a bit more conservative :p Working on the glazing right now--not the final look yet. CRU area to come.

nimbytect21may2013humbu.png

Remember, the NimbyTect Law states "no suburban building shall be taller than 8 storeys" (it's 7s here + MechPH), "thou shalt kill all grey spandrel and green glass", "the marketing department shall not dictate the design", and "Nimbies are always right--listen to them or get lost!"

Let's face it--like him or not, Rob Ford has suddenly made Etobicoke edgy and cool with his alleged recreational habits. So it's time Etobicoke starts getting edgy and cool condo projects ... like HumBull**** phase 3?

It's not edgy nor cool enough yet--you gotta see what happens when I get addicted to the extrusion pipe :D

Back