News   Jun 27, 2024
 408     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 445     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 458     0 

Fantasy Renderings

That is the main problem with today's planning ideals: You simply can't create "instantly-vibrant urban spaces." You can however make things easier and more likely to happen.

I've mentioned this in another thread--what I call "soft design." Soft design blunts hard edges. Humans have soft edges. Clean crisp lines look great...inside! But outside, I believe subconsciously we view hard edges (eg: that gorgeous pointy bit by aA in the DD, those crude bland sheets of glass covering Aura, those faux pos crap in MCC, NYCC etc) as a threat. A hard edge is literally like a "knife" attack on the street's vibrancy. Friendly design, not confrontative. Look at car design--those that have "pouty" snouts like the old Suburu Tribeca, the mid-90s Ford Scorpio were utter market failures. If you can't see a relationship between car and building design ... well you shouldn't be in the biz imo :)

When I actually create architecture I like (I do like the stuff I create and I try my best with the skills I'm still learning, but I'm thinking within the realms of reality--ie working from "worst case scenario pov")--not the current and previous proposals where I'm pretending to be the developer of a current site in question--I hope to better illustrate what I mean. Another one of my main urbanism ideals is what I call "on foot by the foot." I believe far too many politicians, planners, developers, architects etc see life from the view of their black BMWs & Audis...:p Get out and explore the area on foot, by the foot! If you can't get that basic principle right, your project is doomed--imo :)

I see a little bit of "on foot by the foot" in aA's current rendering for 501 Yonge--but only at CRU level. The entire podium up to about the 6s mark is crucial to see the ultimate success.

Toss your planning books in the trash, throw your Jane Jacobs "Bible" in the trash!!!, and use simple common sense: What has worked for thousands of years?!

Some points then:

"On foot, by the foot"

"Soft Design"

"Break it down"

"Think like a Nimby Act like an Architect = NimbyTecture"

Last edited:
It's always handy when a condo tower goes up near a cop shop....

nimbytect5march2013yong.png

If you've got a thing for balconies, why not keep it simple yet distinctive?

Yonge & Curvy = 460 Yonge Street Toronto. One idea...still a WIP.

nimbytect5march2013yong.png

Sick of glass balconies? Me too. Especially when Karma is right next door....blech. Ideally ditch the glass ww and replace with curtain wall but it's you know who working this site...so keep it realistic so they can continue to bag the cash. Balconies are 5' wide except the terrace floors which are 10' iirc.

Height is slightly off--10' floors was a bad idea. We all know 8'-8'6" is what they're building these days. PH floors (final setback) are 2 floors each. I gave them generous 12' ceilings...oh such luxury! :p

Retail level still needs work--less glass more NimbyTecture--and the 3s of offices above which form the podium. Setbacks could be eliminated of course, but terraces are nice and also creates a more distinctive shape.

More to come when I find some time.

Last edited:
They're back for another round ... break time perhaps?

nimbytect6march2013yong.png

The latest news:

There's always more to do, eh?

Yonge and Curvy at 460 Yonge: Better than G+C or worse? Tell me what you think.

The concept: bookend the historic red brick building with beautiful large scale architecture--ie College Park to the South & Yonge & Curvy. The pattern of the windows on the podium also relates to the podium across Yonge Street. I have a vision for some sort of public art on the spaces between the office & retail podium glazing--sort of like that little window gallery next to Dufflet Pastries on Queen West.

Edit: Proposed podium cladding material:
Either 1) Hoesch Planeel Siding:
1753_9_Rondo_Zimmermann_Siding_Planeel%209.jpg

Or 2) Agrob Buchtal Keraion ceramic tile curtainwall cladding.

Which would you prefer? (I prefer #2 at this location for its seamless look and product benefits--see website for details.)

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is how bad the architecture profession has become where people on line think they can just model stuff in sketch up and post it – it becomes accepted by the public. Canadian idol transforms to Canadian architect Idol. HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME..................

Somebody missed the memo..."Fantasy Renderings" Did your jet land safely?;)

After finally reading Toronto's Tall Building Guidelines I understand the difficulties of building in this town. "We'11 C" as envisioned above has hit the trash can. It shall follow the rules of the land or be cast into the shadows of history!

Last edited:
Good news: Tall Building Guidelines have been followed to the T dot O, 3 towers have magically appeared, and the NimbyTect is getting inspired again to impress the "Baby One More Time" crowd....:p

Massing Concept for Option C at 11 Wellesley: We'11 C

nimbytect20march2013we1.png

Yes I know area nimbies want a park(ette.) All will be explained in due course.

Staring at the latest photos of that ugly Berczy Condo this afternoon got me thinking about my Kirk&i massing study. What if I did a Spring 2013 remix? Good idea that's under way:

nimbytect4april2013kirk.png

Overall similar idea, but with a few changes....

Looking up from the corner of Church & Front: Simple extruded shapes mark retail entrances. Red brick surrounds the windows, with a neutral building silhouette.

nimbytect5april2013kirk.png

(I'm going back to basics here--crashing netbooks don't make me happy. I also prefer midrises--more interesting and ultimately way more potential.))

Last edited:
My eyes are glazing over staring at this hideous creature:

nimbytect5april2013kirk.png

But I gotta say I love the extruded red brick (in reality, likely textured painted precast) old-fashioned windows done in an almost Retro Brutalist style. And the faux-dormers that act as privacy screens (and perhaps as greenwalls for ToCondoGarden to work with) while relating to the elders next door.

(The curtainwall glazing is probably just a place holder 'til I get inspired again. Or think of this as the conservative, utterly buildable solution. Note how the "soft" corner interacts with the nimbies. Smart, eh?)

Finally, that vacant lot on the right side is pretty damn tempting! ...

Last edited:
And the NimbyTect said: Behold, thy King has come!

nimbytect6april2013king.png

Long shall thy reign at 305 King Street West Toronto be!

And King Widmer I replied: "Abolish all grey spandrel and green glass in this land!"

And it was so:

And the King said to the NimbyTect: "Respect my heritage, protect my people, make space for the public to admire me and give me a grand entrance."

Sayeth the humble NimbyTect to King Widmer I: "I shall abide by the rules."

Then King Widmer I put on his crown:

And thus began the reign of King Widmer I over King Charlotte and King Blue.

Last edited:

Back