News   Apr 29, 2024
 41     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 756     0 

Ex-Ontario AG Bryant questioned in death of cyclist

Marcus Gee had a fantastic column about this in today's G&M.

Bike lobbyists are their own worst enemy and will probably do for bicycle advocacy what OCAP did for poverty and welfare cuts in the late 1990s: turn a very pressing social issue of our time into a far-left fringe topic for a handful of young, polemic reactionaries. It's a great way to make sure that 98% of the population sides with your opponents and to pull any legitimacy from beneath your feet.

Are you serious? I didn't think anyone could possibly object to this decision. Did you see the pictures in today's Star with the guy standing on the running board of a car, with his head through the window, hands on the wheel? Oddly, I can't find the photos on-line.

It's interesting to me that you think that everyone will share your view, for some reason. Of course people are objecting to this decision--however, I do notice all the newspapers are reading from the same script though, so I can somewhat see your thought process.

Overall, what I object to most of all is loss of life. That's what the charges were--NOT murder, note--and yet they were not even tried in court.

I really don't see where any 'legitimacy' need come from in the first place, Hipster Duck. It's just a form of transportation, not a lifestyle.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that you think that everyone will share your view, for some reason.
It's interesting to me that no one would. A drunk, violent, drug addict takes to attacking drivers along Bloor Street on a regular basis, and finally scares someone to the point that they try and drive away, accidentally drilling the drunk, violent, drug addict. That anyone would demonize the real victims of this - the drivers who have been attacked by drunk, violent, drug addict just shocks me.

Anyone who seeks to blame the victims of this drunk, violent, drug addict really needs to think about things.

Last edited:
It's still a tragic situation on all counts and it doesn't do anyone any good to disparage the dead. Everyone has their demons and it's unfortunate this guy wasn't able to get the help he needed before his demons killed him.

It's interesting to me that no one would. A drunk, violent, drug addict takes to attacking drivers along Bloor Street on a regular basis, and finally scares someone to the point that they try and drive away, accidentally drilling the drunk, violent, drug addict. That anyone would demonize the real victims of this - the drivers who have been attacked by drunk, violent, drug addict just shocks me.

Anyone who seeks to blame the victims of this drunk, violent, drug addict really needs to think about things.

Here, here. I couldn't have said it any better.

Sheppard was a nightmare of a brutish bully terrorizing others relentlessly. I don't care how tragic childhood was, he went from being a victem to committing violence and abuse against others. Because he had anger issues.

Cry me a river. I am so sick of people being given a licence to do what they want against others because we're suppose to pity and sympthize with them rather than the victems. Sheppard was a walking menace and was waaaay past being a victem at this stage in life. He became a thug and a violent goon delighting in the terror he directed at others.

I come from a violent household and grew up with this type of behaviour so I know firsthand exactly what dealing with inviduals such as Sheppard is like. There's no remorse and no end to the abuse. And I really have to wonder what he put his family through behind closed doors. There is no way he checked his rage and anger at the door when at home....

This attempt at somehow trying to blame Byrant and let Sheppard off the hook just makes me sick..... The tragedy is what he did to others.... I'll waste no tears on this monster......

Last edited:
This whole "he should have been made to stand trial" line is getting old. The only thing that would have happened, upon his acquittal, is that those against the current decision would raise their conspiracy theories to match.

And you always obey the speed limit too, right?
Yes. And since my bike does not have turn signals, you'll see me using hand signals at every turn - how many cyclists do you see using hand signals anymore - even though they're legally required to under the Highway Traffic Act?

http://www.ncf.ca/ip/community.associations/cfsc/bike-ed/laws

TRAFFIC SIGNALS AND SIGNS - A cyclist must stop for red lights
(HTA 144), stop signs (HTA 136) and comply with all other
traffic signs.

TURNS - When making a turn, cyclists must signal their intention
to motorists in advance. Proper hand signals must be used to
indicate that the cyclist is changing position on the road and a
final check should be made before making the turn. When signalling
a right turn, cyclists also have the option of extending their
right arm. (HTA 142)

It's still a tragic situation on all counts and it doesn't do anyone any good to disparage the dead. Everyone has their demons and it's unfortunate this guy wasn't able to get the help he needed before his demons killed him.
A guy is violently attacking and threatening innocent people, and it's tragic that he's dead? I don't support government criminal executions, as I don't trust government to do anything right, but I'll say this, the city is better off without him.

A guy is violently attacking and threatening innocent people, and it's tragic that he's dead? I don't support government criminal executions, as I don't trust government to do anything right, but I'll say this, the city is better off without him.

Agreed. I'm still pised that people are trying to turn his death into a tragedy when it's obvious the man was a menace who delighted in terrorizing others and showed no remorse.

Sheppard was a lost cause and he should have been off the streets either in jail or medicated somewhere but the man was responsible for his actions. He knew what he was doing and went looking for victems.

He was a predator.

With this thinking, we should pity a raptist killed while attempting a rape instead of condeming the person and the act. Sheppard stopped being a victem a long time ago and people need to understand that he was the architect of his own undoing.

And yeah, society is better off without him.

Marcus Gee had a fantastic column about this in today's G&M.

Bike lobbyists are their own worst enemy and will probably do for bicycle advocacy what OCAP did for poverty and welfare cuts in the late 1990s: turn a very pressing social issue of our time into a far-left fringe topic for a handful of young, polemic reactionaries. It's a great way to make sure that 98% of the population sides with your opponents and to pull any legitimacy from beneath your feet.

I don't disagree with the assessment of OCAP's strategic failure, but groups like the Bike Union are pretty measured and seem intent on maintaining a mainstream image.

Also, Marcus Gee is borderline retarded and has never, and will never, write a "fantastic column".

One thing that you guys seem to be ignoring is that Bryant was the one who initiated the physical contact and violence. Sheppard pull up in front of him on his bike. Bryant lurched his car towards him, possibly hitting him, possibly not. Then he gunned the engine and rammed Sheppard forward for several car lengths. When Bryant tried to drive around Sheppard who was already knocked to the ground, that's when Sheppard grabbed onto the car. Then Bryant sped away with Sheppard attached.......

Sheppard may have had a violent past and was drunk at the time, but this shouldn't excuse Bryant from initiating a physical attack against Sheppard which ultimately lead to his death.

I don't disagree with the assessment of OCAP's strategic failure, but groups like the Bike Union are pretty measured and seem intent on maintaining a mainstream image.

If they were intent on maintaining a mainstream image, Yvonne Bambrick would have done well to keep her mouth shut and not conflate an issue about a deranged man with a history of mental illness with bicycling. If bicycling wants a hero, they can pick someone without such a checkered past (and by "past", I mean someone who didn't try to grab onto a moving car and reach inside for the keys mere hours before) who died in a tragic accident involving a motorist.

Also, Marcus Gee is borderline retarded and has never, and will never, write a "fantastic column".

You know, very few "retards" can read and write, let alone write syndicated columns for a national newspaper of repute. You might not agree with Marcus Gee's political stance (although it's actually much more varied and difficult to stereotype than one might think), but that probably doesn't have much to do with his mental faculties. I believe the comment you make says a lot more about you than it does about him.

I agree with this. I also think, despite Bryant's lack of legal culpability for Sheppard's death, that Bryant isn't completely "innocent" in the events. He's a pushy, type-A guy who refused to de-escalate the situation. He probably has an IQ that is double Sheppard's. I'm not saying he engaged in any criminal conduct, but I think it is clear that he feels some sense of guilt for the outcome. As the above-quoted post says, "Everyone has their demons." This will be one of Bryant's.

Plenty of sadness to be had here. Not sure why this incident has become a symbol of the cars vs. bikes "war"; Sheppard is no more a poster-child for cycling than Bryant is for drivers. This is a story about a marginalized guy whose habitualized violence, propensity for self-harm and lack of empathy got himself killed. People can say "He had it coming", but unless you're backing vigilante justice, that attitude does nothing to reduce the chances of your own life being negatively impacted by a similar incident.

If they were intent on maintaining a mainstream image, Yvonne Bambrick would have done well to keep her mouth shut and not conflate an issue about a deranged man with a history of mental illness with bicycling. If bicycling wants a hero, they can pick someone without such a checkered past (and by "past", I mean someone who didn't try to grab onto a moving car and reach inside for the keys mere hours before) who died in a tragic accident involving a motorist.

I'm not defending the position she has taken in the wake of the charges being withdrawn, except to say that she has a constiuency and membership, many of who are animated by the incident and, in my opinion, are wrongly seeking to make it a cause celebre. In many other instances, I have been pleasantly surprised by the extent to which the Bike Union has sought to be a more moderate voice than the OCAP analogy would suggest. But I suppose it is correct to see this incident and the Bike Union's reaction as evidence of where the organization is headed. I think the jury is still out.

You know, very few "retards" can read and write, let alone write syndicated columns for a national newspaper of repute. You might not agree with Marcus Gee's political stance (although it's actually much more varied and difficult to stereotype than one might think), but that probably doesn't have much to do with his mental faculties. I believe the comment you make says a lot more about you than it does about him.

Your inability to recognize the colloquial use of the term "retard" belies your username, which says a lot more about you than you think my view of Marcus Gee says about me.

I'm not defending the position she has taken in the wake of the charges being withdrawn, except to say that she has a constiuency and membership, many of who are animated by the incident and, in my opinion, are wrongly seeking to make it a cause celebre. In many other instances, I have been pleasantly surprised by the extent to which the Bike Union has sought to be a more moderate voice than the OCAP analogy would suggest. But I suppose it is correct to see this incident and the Bike Union's reaction as evidence of where the organization is headed. I think the jury is still out.

What? I thought you said that the Bike Union was measured in their response? Now you're conceding that it was a political move to rally their emotionally-charged constituency.

Your inability to recognize the colloquial use of the term "retard" belies your username, which says a lot more about you than you think my view of Marcus Gee says about me.

If you're going to drag it down to the ad hominem level of literally reading my username and bringing it into play, I should probably let you know that I'm not actually a duck.

Back