News   May 15, 2024
 158     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 299     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 845     1 

Ex-Ontario AG Bryant questioned in death of cyclist

Amazing to see 20 pages of breathless speculation about what happened, followed by... crickets... now that we actually do know what happened.
There's little left to say. Given the detailed report on how the victim had attacked over drivers in the area - one the same night. And the pictures on the front page of today's Star are stunning, showing the victim in a suicidal attack on another driver.

I really have to wonder why the police laid charges in the first place, given the number of people who came forward to say they had also been attacked. They are lucky they won't be sued by Bryant.

It's a shame that initially cyclists were jumping up and down to defend the victim, without getting all the information. It doesn't reflect well on the community ...

Last edited:
There's little left to say. Given the detailed report on how the victim had attacked over drivers in the area - one the same night. And the pictures on the front page of today's Star are stunning, showing the victim in a suicidal attack on another driver.

I really have to wonder why the police laid charges in the first place, given the number of people who came forward to say they had also been attacked. They are lucky they won't be sued by Bryant.

It's a shame that initially cyclists were jumping up and down to defend the victim, without getting all the information. It doesn't reflect well on the community ...

I got to say, I cycle at times, but I find the majority of cyclist rude and oblivious to any rules that exist ... so much so that I think if caught doing something legal there should be demerit points involved / fines and even jail time.

The main issue I find is they want to be treated as any other vehicle but at the same time think they have magical rights over anyone ... for example, cyclist who cut up on the right side of the road ... if these get hit while a car is turning light (and there is no bike lane) ... I'd like the cyclist to face consequences ... on top of being hit by the car of course :)

The problem, of course, is there are just as many bad drivers who do no respect cyclist but to be honest I see a lot more bad behavior on the part of cyclist then cars.

There is also the question in my mind of the public policy effects of this withdrawal of charges. In my humble opinion, this was not a just decision, and the shield of self-defence rings hollow when you look at the fact that this was a deadly 3,000 pound vehicle versus an unarmed cyclist who was rammed into metal objects several times over.

But that's not up to me to decide the morals of this, or even a prosecutor in the end. Decide for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFISP_PrhFo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UKQW225gI&feature=related

...this was a deadly 3,000 pound vehicle versus an unarmed cyclist who was rammed into metal objects several times over.

True in many cases, but irrelevant in this one given the facts. And based on those facts, I applaud the decision.

In my humble opinion, this was not a just decision, and the shield of self-defence rings hollow when you look at the fact that this was a deadly 3,000 pound vehicle versus an unarmed cyclist who was rammed into metal objects several times over.
Are you serious? I didn't think anyone could possibly object to this decision. Did you see the pictures in today's Star with the guy standing on the running board of a car, with his head through the window, hands on the wheel? Oddly, I can't find the photos on-line.

Personal responsibility....

It really comes down to this.... Sheppard killed himself while attempting to assault yet another person in a moving vechicle.

I'm really trying to understand people insisting Byrant is responsible for the events and Sheppard's death when it's so beyond obvious now that Sheppard's insane hostility and out of control behaviour towards cars and drivers led to his own death. Yeah, Sheppard had a horrible upbringing and unstable childhood. But he crossed that line of being a victem when he started looking for targets and terrorizing people. Probably after drinking.

I can only imagine Byrant trying to deal with this maniac trying to climb through the window with his wife sitting there and Byrant did what any of us would have done in this situation. He got the hell out of there. Probably in a panic. This is not a situation that calls for calm discussion when someone is attempting to assault you and you're not sure if they're going to kill you.

I'll say it again. Sheppard is not the victem here. He spent a good amount of his adult life, using alcohol as as an excuse to unlease his rage and went hunting for victems. As has been revealed, Sheppard had a long history of violent confrontations that he intiated I believe and it was probably getting worse and someone was going to get seriously hurt or killed sooner or later.

I have family members that have done the same and you can't reason with them. They drink, get violent and attack and it will never stop until something finally happens.
I tend to think Sheppard did the same thing. The man was a dangerous menace that should have been dealt with years ago.

And yes, because of my own history of dealing with this type of behaviour...... I don't feel pity for the man since he finally managed to kill himself while abusing as many people in acts of sheer terror as often as he could. The man was a animal.

Last edited:
Personal responsibility....

It really comes down to this.... Sheppard killed himself while attempting to assault yet another person in a moving vechicle.

I'm really trying to understand people insisting Byrant is responsible for the events and Sheppard's death when it's so beyond obvious now that Sheppard's insane hostility and reckless behaviour led to his own death. Yeah, Sheppard had a horrible upbringing and unstable childhood. But he crossed that line of being a victem when he started looking for targets and terrorizing people. Probably after drinking.

I can only imagine Byrant trying to deal with this maniac trying to climb through the window with his wife sitting there and Byrant did what any of us would have done in this situation. He got the hell out of there. Probably in a panic. This is not a situation that calls for calm discussion when someone is attempting to assault you and you're not sure if they're going to kill you.

I'll say it again. Sheppard is not the victem here. He spent a good amount of his adult life, using alcohol as as an excuse to unlease his rage and went hunting for victems.

As has been revealed, Sheppard had a long history of violent confrontations that he intiated and it was probably getting worse and someone was going to get seriously hurt or killed sooner or later. I have family members that have done the same and you can't reason with them. They got violent, attacked people and just played the victem card every single time. Alcohol was usually involved.

I tend to think Sheppard did the same thing. The man was a dangerous menace that should have been dealt with years ago. And yes, because of my own history of dealing with this type of behaviour......

I don't feel pity for the man.....

He did his best to inflict as much damage to others as often as he could and I shudder to think what he was putting his own family through or if they had to deal with their own moments of terror with him behind closed doors....

Last edited:

That's my thought as well... and many of them are still jumping up and down. This incident certainly hasn't helped the widespread perception that many cyclists believe the rules of the road don't apply to them.

Back