News   May 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 569     0 

Ex-Ontario AG Bryant questioned in death of cyclist

Not reallly.....

Because I as a rule don't watch online clips of anything and I tried earlier to watch one of these clips and found it was really hard to make out what was happening.

So you'd rather stay uninformed and opinionated...at lease we know where you're coming from. ;)

On watching the video clip....

I can say that I honestly don't know what happened.

The quality of the video is shit and it's really hard to make out details. It looks as though the cyclist cuts in front of the car then after several seconds, Bryant moves the car forward a bit then it looks as though Bryant tries to drive by the cyclist and knocks him down during his attempt.

I can't tell from the clip if the cyclist is directly in front or closer to the outside when the car moves forward. I need to see another angle. I find it hard to believe that with all these witnesses in Yorkville, that he would just run the guy down though.

But people are capable of doing incredibly stupid things sometimes when they're frustrated.

I saw a guy today in Yorkville, smacking a car as it was making a right handed turn as the light had turned green, as he stepped off the curb. Pedestrians need to check and make sure that traffic has slowed and stopped before just blindly walking across a street.

Not that I'm exusing the driver though. I think he was trying too hard to make that turn and the pedestrian wasn't waiing for him to stop.

Last edited:
Too bad....

I was making that "not sure what happened" comment after watching a really, really crappy quality video that is really hard to make out what's happening towards the end. I can't see what happens when the car moves forward because of the shadows and lack of detail.

I reacted at the time after reading conflicting accounts of what happened and some of it suggested that the cyclist might have been acting out of control so I was biased to the guy somehow being responsible. I'm an opinionated person sometimes and I have ADD. You act impulsively at times.

I guess it looks as though Bryant moves forward and knocks the guy down. The question is whether he was trying to run the guy down or get by him.

Last edited:
Whether Bryant knocked Sheppard down or whether Sheppard hit Bryant's car with his bag...who cares? Bryant's being charged with killing the guy, not knocking him off his bike with his car. Even if Bryant did knock him over with his car in the first place, I don't think anyone's going to believe that that means that Bryant intended to murder him (either then or later).

The real question is what happened after the time shown in the security videos. Was Sheppard trying to attack Bryant and his wife? Did he grab the wheel? Did Bryant deliberately try to ram him into the mailbox? Even if he did, was it justified? These are the questions to ask.

Missing......

Yes, the video clip simply doesn't show in detail what happened when the car moves forward due to the shadows and poor quality but what happens afterwards is open for discussion. And I asasume this video clip shows the beginning of the incident?

It still doesn't make sense that with so many witnesses around at the time, that Bryant would be this reckless and intentionally run a cyclist down because he was pissed. It still sounds as though something else happened that provoked him enough to do this.

Hopefully the investigation will uncover the details and the we get to the bottem of this mess.

Not that I'm exusing the driver though. I think he was trying too hard to make that turn and the pedestrian wasn't waiing for him to stop.

And you should never excuse the driver. The pedestrian had the right of way. I don't want to see a pedestrian vs car incident, but that is their space and the car needs to respect that.

I was making that "not sure what happened" comment after watching a really, really crappy quality video that is really hard to make out what's happening towards the end.

You convicted the guy with your comments before seeing the video, and now your trying desperately to excuse Bryant.
Just stick with "I don't know" and wait for the trial.

Hit and run....

I've already back down with my previous statement. I was referring to watching a video clip that doesn't really show anything, let alone show in clear detail that Bryant was trying to run a cyclist. Last remark on this topic.

CBC.ca Charges dropped against former Ont. AG Bryant
Crown prosecutors have dropped all criminal charges against former Ontario attorney general Michael Bryant stemming from the death of a bicycle courier in downtown Toronto.

Richard Peck, a prosecutor brought in from British Columbia in the case against Bryant, told a Toronto court Tuesday morning there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.

Bryant was charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death after an alleged confrontation with Darcy Allan Sheppard on the evening of Aug. 31.

Police allege that Sheppard died after grabbing onto a car on Bloor Street West following an altercation with the driver.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/05/25/bryant-sheppard-charges943.html#ixzz0ox0LbEhF

Not sure why someone would cite Maple Leaf Foods' conduct as an appropriate precedent, but I'm also of the opinion that Bryant would not have been charged (at least the homicide charge) if he weren't Michael Bryant. In any event, he ain't going down for homicide, and probably ain't going down at all.

Really? Is it because you think he's being used as an example to show that politicians aren't above the law? Or is it something about him personally that justice is seeking revenge on?

I think if it were anyone else charges would have been laid, high-profile legal positions would not have been proffered, and the media would have stopped talking about it ages ago.

All of my views on this are based on grainy video footage and 3rd-hand accounts; I certainly wouldn't want to be on Bryant's jury.

My take on it is that Bryant probably could have de-escalated the situation at some point, but that ultimately a court will determine that Darcy Sheppard's own recklessness was the greatest single contributing factor in his death.

But even if that weren't the case, I believe that Toronto cops generally dislike cyclists, poor people, crazy people, first nations people and people with criminal records, at least relative to non-cyclists, etc. With five strikes against him and with presumably credible accounts about his behaviour before and during the incident that led to his death, I think it is remarkable that the investigation yielded charges at all. I can only surmise that, because Bryant is who he is, the police felt compelled to charge him but fully expect him not to be convicted.

Again, I wasn't there and I don't "know" what happened. But that's my feeling about how it will all turn out.

Also, it is my hunch that Ogilvy would not have hired him without reaching the same conclusion.

Bryant will make a political comeback. Unfortunately, I bet he will appeal to a large segment of the knuckle-dragging suburbanites who long for their own chance to kill an uppity cyclist.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Another shame about this whole story is that Mr. Bryant could have been a very good leader of Invest Toronto if this didn't happen. :\

Another shame about this whole story is that Mr. Bryant could have been a very good leader of Invest Toronto if this didn't happen. :\

Yes I've been thinking the same thing, I've heard him on cbc radio a few times and he had some really great ideas, more importantly he seemed to know the issues at hand well and what needed to be tackled.

I honestly home he can return to the position one day.

Back