News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
In the wake of the recent articles published in the Star and Globe in Mail what does this mean for Eglinton? I felt the article was a bit ambiguous when it came to talking about plans for Eglinton? All it said was that it would run straight through to STC. It didn’t really clarify the type of technology to be used on the corridor nor did it mention anything regarding partial or exclusive right-of –way.

The articles have stated Eglinton will be LRT tech and run from Jane Street in the west to Kennedy in the East - all underground.

So I guess there will be "above ground" components further west, but less likely in the central part of the line - if even.

:confused:There's a new article out in the Star .It say's P3 would work better on Eglinton because they could use automated technology like skytrain or conventional LRT's..............................Can some please explain to me how that makes it more feasible as oppose to just a regular subway.

:confused:There's a new article out in the Star .It say's P3 would work better on Eglinton because they could use automated technology like skytrain or conventional LRT's..............................Can some please explain to me how that makes it more feasible as oppose to just a regular subway.

are you referring to this?
Some experts have suggested that the Eglinton light rail project could be more attractive to private investment, because the ridership supports it and the operation could be automated, like Vancouver’s SkyTrain with its driverless vehicles.

It seems like the full $8B for the entire first phase of TransitCity is going to be spent on making Eglinton a full underground "subway" based on LRT technology. That works for me. Ford voters along Finch will get exactly what they voted for: nothing.

It seems like the full $8B for the entire first phase of TransitCity is going to be spent on making Eglinton a full underground "subway" based on LRT technology. That works for me. Ford voters along Finch will get exactly what they voted for: nothing.

I didn't vote for Ford. My family didn't vote for Ford. What if it wasn't the majority of transit users that voted for Ford up here, but rather the non-trnasit users (pure speculation). THen would it be okay to say screw Finch? I'm really happy that it seems like Eglinton will go through, but I don't understand your hatred for Finch W.

From all the discussion here over the past few years, Finch seemed like the only one everyone agreed on. It's really a shame this one's going down. I'd gladly take ECLRT in-median east of Don Mills (rather than grade separated) to free up funding for a FWLRT.

And yet, I know what you mean MetroMan. The burbs voted Ford, and he's giving them what they want (or don't want in this case).

[
Some experts have suggested that the Eglinton light rail project could be more attractive to private investment, because the ridership supports it and the operation could be automated, like Vancouver’s SkyTrain with its driverless vehicles.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpo...doubt-cast-on-ford-s-hopes-for-subway-partner

This is a bit of a no-brainer. You may not have to use tax increment financing, either.

For the Canada Line, tax increment financing is not used - the property taxing authority is the City of Vancouver whereas TransLink is the transit authority.

Payments are made by TransLink to the operator, and in the first few years, that'll be an operating subsidy til ridership builds.

In the case of Toronto, Metrolinx could own the infrastructure, the private operator would operate and own the vehicles, and the City/TTC could provide an operating subsidy (maybe raised through tax increment financing, since the City runs the TTC.)

On top of that, the private operator could design the system to optimize projected ridership and operating costs, including automation.

With the Sheppard Subway, the private operator would be handicapped by having to conform with the existing specifications of the Sheppard Line, as currently built (i.e. no automation, station capacity for 6 car trains that may never come, large diameter tunnels).

Last edited:
From all the discussion here over the past few years, Finch seemed like the only one everyone agreed on. It's really a shame this one's going down. I'd gladly take ECLRT in-median east of Don Mills (rather than grade separated) to free up funding for a FWLRT.

I agree, I don't believe the the incremental benefit of tunneling the eastern section is worth the extra cost. And overall the system would be better off by replacing the finch west bus with LRT.

$8.5 billion for underground LRT seems like waste. Why not a full subway? And only from Jane eastward? Renforth to Allen is the most important section... no LRT/subway west of Jane means no connection to the airport or the Mississauga/403 Transitway and MT and GO buses. Not only would it had the greatest regional impact, Renforth to Jane would have been cheapest section to build as well, thanks to the Richview Corridor. And now they're just ignoring it? Doesn't make sense.

The original Eglinton LRT plan was flawed for sure, but it was still way, WAY better than this...

Well the reason for Jane to Kennedy is simple...

Since its the easiest and cheapest section to build...it can be done anytime at all...even if its just the city financing it...

The jane to kennedy section is expensive and complicated...so they have to make sure its built with the 8B on the table before another government revokes it all!

And to some extent, I say this also explains why finch is being dropped...both lines are cheap to build solely by city funds if necessaary!

$8.5 billion for underground LRT seems like waste. Why not a full subway? And only from Jane eastward? Renforth to Allen is the most important section... no LRT/subway west of Jane means no connection to the airport or the Mississauga/403 Transitway and MT and GO buses. Not only would it had the greatest regional impact, Renforth to Jane would have been cheapest section to build as well, thanks to the Richview Corridor. And now they're just ignoring it? Doesn't make sense.

The original Eglinton LRT plan was flawed for sure, but it was still way, WAY better than this...

I'd support the LRT plan even more if they were considering interlining with the Jane and Don Mills LRTs north of Eglinton. The tunnel portion needs the highest capacity, so you run route A along the entire course of Eglinton, and route B starts at the top of the Jane LRT, down to Eglinton, through the tunnel, and then back up the Don Mills LRT. This provides the higher frequencies and capacities needed through the tunnel, without having to rely on short-turning vehicles. And it also eliminates the need for 2 transfers to get to and from downtown. Doing this also eliminates the need to tunnel the Jane and Don Mills LRTs all the way to the B-D subway, as that would be the most expensive part of those lines.

If the DRL is continued up to Eglinton, riders coming south on Don Mills would either have the option of staying on their train and going to Yonge-Eglinton, or transferring and continuing south on the DRL. The DRL West could one day terminate at Weston and Eglinton, providing a similar optional transfer.

Re: why not west of Jane?

The LRTs are not dead. They are merely deferred until a more LRT friendly administration comes back into power. Don't forget Finch and Eglinton west of Jane were not to be started for 5 years anyways.

Sheppard is a question mark - I suspect we'll see the LRT resurrected when Ford is unable to find his private sector financing.

Metrolinx is building what it wants to that fits within Ford's "vision". The balance is merely waiting on the side for a less dogmatic mayor.

To be fair, FWLRT got truncated (to west of Keele only) even before Ford came to power. And in that form, it would inconvenience some riders (those who want to travel from Rexdale to Yonge) since they would have to transfer at Finch / Keele.

Since we are going through a major reshuffling of the transit plans anyway, it makes more sense to complete all of Eglinton (Kennedy to Pearson) first; and after that, try to get funding for the full scope of FWLRT (from Pearson to Yonge). The cost of full FWLRT is about $1.2 B, not a small amount, but should be doable.

Back