News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Downtown Yonge

Yonge isn't dying from neglect but it is changing because of demographic transition - and Dundas Square isn't even a Miller project - it is from the Lastman era.

AoD

Yonge isn't dying from neglect but it is changing because of demographic transition - and Dundas Square isn't even a Miller project - it is from the Lastman era.

AoD

Yes it is. Some of the buildings are in a sad state of neglect. And they're letting it get that way.

Yes it is. Some of the buildings are in a sad state of neglect. And they're letting it get that way.

See the same type of stock north of Bloor, on College west, Gerrard East, Queen Street etc., it's in a very similar state. Some buildings are well maintained and look great, others, not so much. Point is, it's not exclusive to Yonge Street downtown. Yonge downtown always transitions, it has as long as I can remember (1970's). The big changes came when the night clubs/bars started closing in the 80's & 90's and then when the remaining cinemas shut their doors (early 2000's), combined, it killed night life north of Gerrard St.

Neglect usually meant one thing in the core area - land value are rising so much that the current use is being seen as a transitory one - hence transition. Who is "they" anyways? I am all for the city taking an interventionist approach with Yonge, but be careful what you wish for - the city doesn't have that many tools at its' disposal.

Realistically, I think some degree of redevelopment along Yonge is inevitable - and not all sites have to potential to be restored to its' original state. Not wanting to see these 2s structures replaced by condos doesn't mean that there are absolutely no room for them along the strip - they just have to be placed sensitively.

AoD

Last edited:
See the same type of stock north of Bloor, on College west, Gerrard East, Queen Street etc., it's in a very similar state. Some buildings are well maintained and look great, others, not so much. Point is, it's not exclusive to Yonge Street downtown. Yonge downtown always transitions, it has as long as I can remember (1970's). The big changes came when the night clubs/bars started closing in the 80's & 90's and then when the remaining cinemas shut their doors (early 2000's), combined, it killed night life north of Gerrard St.

I'm not saying that it is exclusive to Yonge Street. The place where they're planning to erect a 50 storey condo complex could easily be spared in favour of restoration so as not to be an eyesore.
The place where the Gasworks used to be again could easily be restored as well. Who the hell paints an old building like that concrete gray? I mean you can't hide years and years of neglect under a lot of paint.
Condo complexes, if too many are built, are what ruins cities and towns. Along with buildings that have suffered from years and years of neglect. All some of these buildings need is a lot of work and a little care. Some of which some of these buildings have never seen before or since.

Yonge redevelopment

I'm not saying that it is exclusive to Yonge Street. The place where they're planning to erect a 50 storey condo complex could easily be spared in favour of restoration so as not to be an eyesore.
The place where the Gasworks used to be again could easily be restored as well. Who the hell paints an old building like that concrete gray? I mean you can't hide years and years of neglect under a lot of paint.
Condo complexes, if too many are built, are what ruins cities and towns. Along with buildings that have suffered from years and years of neglect. All some of these buildings need is a lot of work and a little care. Some of which some of these buildings have never seen before or since.

Do you know how many redevelopment projects are being put forward right now ?
This street is under huge redevelopment pressure ALREADY!

Do you know how many redevelopment projects are being put forward right now ?
This street is under huge redevelopment pressure ALREADY!

I'm very aware that Yonge Street is under redevelopment pressure but still it's a historic street and it should be kept that way. That's my issue.

I'm with you 100%! Not sure what 50 storey condo you speak of, there's a few of them (Yonge/Grenville, 501 Yonge, Yonge/Dundonald).

I'm with you 100%! Not sure what 50 storey condo you speak of, there's a few of them (Yonge/Grenville, 501 Yonge, Yonge/Dundonald).

There's a sign in front of the Lo-La resturaunt on the corner of Maitland Street and Yonge street which is one way that says they're going to tear the building down for a 56 storey condominium complex and an above grade parking lot for the Wellesley Subway station.

Last edited:
That plaza is ugly no matter what way you put it, restored or not, and is an extreme under utilization of the land.. a 2 floor plaza should not be directly on top of a subway line.

Yonge Street

I'm very aware that Yonge Street is under redevelopment pressure but still it's a historic street and it should be kept that way. That's my issue.

...But, the realistic way to save the most ( there may be some exceptions ) of whatever deserves to be saved is to use them as a podiums for the new highrise developments...

...But, the realistic way to save the most ( there may be some exceptions ) of whatever deserves to be saved is to use them as a podiums for the new highrise developments...

No the way to save most of what deserves to be saved is to stop big business from walking all over the City Council. Which is what's happening here. You can't tell me that the councilor in that ward isn't being walked all over.

No the way to save most of what deserves to be saved is to stop big business from walking all over the City Council. Which is what's happening here. You can't tell me that the councilor in that ward isn't being walked all over.

How is "big business" walking all over the Councillor?

Back