News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

Downtown Yonge

How is "big business" walking all over the Councillor?

What I mean is that Condos are big business to everyone involved. The developers, the builders, the city, everyone. I can't say that the landscape in Cobourg hasn't been ruined by condo developments, and believe me it has, but still I hate the idea that a single street can be ruined just by paying for a survey, putting an application in, and tearing down an old building on an antiquated street just because the opportunity arised.
As long as they let the YUPPIES rule the city it's never going to stop at Yonge Street.

Last edited:
Podium

No the way to save most of what deserves to be saved is to stop big business from walking all over the City Council. Which is what's happening here. You can't tell me that the councilor in that ward isn't being walked all over.

I see your point .
...But incorporation into the podium of highrise development is the only practical solution in most cases ...

What I mean is that Condos are big business to everyone involved. The developers, the builders, the city, everyone. I can't say that the landscape in Cobourg hasn't been ruined by condo developments, and believe me it has, but still I hate the idea that a single street can be ruined just by paying for a survey, putting an application in, and tearing down an old building on an antiquated street just because the opportunity arised.
As long as they let the YUPPIES rule the city it's never going to stop at Yonge Street.

OK first, condos just don't get built willy-nilly, you know that right? There's a long, detailed, multi-year process involved with each project, you know that right? Up to half of a given building downtown can be investors, not yuppies, do you know that? The Councillor is the "face" who is tasked with dealing with these applications in conjunction with legal, the Planning Department, BIA's, NA's, residents etc - and they generally do a pretty good job IMO. Arguably, condos make sense in some areas and some don't make sense in other areas. With the city's population forecasted to nearly double in the next 20 years where do you propose houses be built for all these "yuppies" if your not down with condos? The city is running out of space, and most certainly will by the end of this decade barring a real estate crash. The only way to go is up. Truth be told, I'd like to see the midrise become more the norm as opposed to highrises, save for appropriate areas that lend themselves to highrises.

In other countries I've been to fast food chains like McDonalds are actually treated as restaurants and sometimes do add to the life of the street believe it or not.

I choose to not eat there anymore but here's to hoping this has a similar effect.

In other countries I've been to fast food chains like McDonalds are actually treated as restaurants and sometimes do add to the life of the street believe it or not.

I choose to not eat there anymore but here's to hoping this has a similar effect.

Which is why these new locations focus on the separate McCafe counter. Not everyone will want to come in to eat a Big Mac. There is a broader market for those coming in to order a quick coffee or a baked good, especially in Canada. By making these spaces really inviting and focusing on their drink line, they are major competition to Tim Hortons in my opinion.

Which is why these new locations focus on the separate McCafe counter. Not everyone will want to come in to eat a Big Mac. There is a broader market for those coming in to order a quick coffee or a baked good, especially in Canada. By making these spaces really inviting and focusing on their drink line, they are major competition to Tim Hortons in my opinion.
Ya, and they are clearly hoping that people will choose to hang out there instead of Starbucks. Soon it will be impossible to find a seat anywhere to actually eat your meal, because some student decided to turn the table into their living room. So annoying.

Ya, and they are clearly hoping that people will choose to hang out there instead of Starbucks. Soon it will be impossible to find a seat anywhere to actually eat your meal, because some student decided to turn the table into their living room. So annoying.

Which is why they have the McCafe counter. I don't think too many people are interested in doing their homework with someone slobbing over a Big Mac next to them.

OK first, condos just don't get built willy-nilly, you know that right? There's a long, detailed, multi-year process involved with each project, you know that right? Up to half of a given building downtown can be investors, not yuppies, do you know that? The Councillor is the "face" who is tasked with dealing with these applications in conjunction with legal, the Planning Department, BIA's, NA's, residents etc - and they generally do a pretty good job IMO. Arguably, condos make sense in some areas and some don't make sense in other areas. With the city's population forecasted to nearly double in the next 20 years where do you propose houses be built for all these "yuppies" if your not down with condos? The city is running out of space, and most certainly will by the end of this decade barring a real estate crash. The only way to go is up. Truth be told, I'd like to see the midrise become more the norm as opposed to highrises, save for appropriate areas that lend themselves to highrises.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say. If you build them then eventually you're going to run out of space. We need to preserve what's on Yonge Street and make sure that it's still around.

I'm not a fan of McDonalds but I was glad to hear it will be open 24/7. Anything that helps encourage more animation after the sun goes down, is cool with me. Yonge Street needs more night time crowds and more things to do at night.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say. If you build them then eventually you're going to run out of space. We need to preserve what's on Yonge Street and make sure that it's still around.

Well we are certainly on the same page about Yonge Street! I'm good with condos, my only issue is the location of some projects and size of many of the units. There are not enough 2/3 bedroom suites being built for families. I don't believe it's sustainable building all these tiny bachelor & 1 bedroom units for investors if we truly want a healthy, vibrant downtown for all.

Well we are certainly on the same page about Yonge Street! I'm good with condos, my only issue is the location of some projects and size of many of the units. There are not enough 2/3 bedroom suites being built for families. I don't believe it's sustainable building all these tiny bachelor & 1 bedroom units for investors if we truly want a healthy, vibrant downtown for all.

I can agree with that. As long as nothing else is disturbed but the buildings that are slated for demolition then I have no problem with that.

I can agree with that. As long as nothing else is disturbed but the buildings that are slated for demolition then I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with the Yonge/Gloucester project (it's actually an "off-Yonge" project directly abutting Masonic Temple building on Gloucester St. which I'm generally OK with but not this project), the Yonge/Isabella project will will see the end of two warehouses on the S/E corner and the Yonge at Dundonald-Gloucester block (more lost heritage on the south half of the block). The two other projects on the books I'm not crazy about, Yonge & Grenville and Yonge at Maitland-Alexander block, but we aren't losing any heritage, just good retail spaces. Some argue that a few of these non-heritage sites with projects planned are unremarkable buildings that need to go, and I wouldn't disagree, it's the loss of affordable retail that concerns me.

Back