News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Downtown Yonge

Yonge Street is Yonge Street and shouldn't try to become a street that it's not.

It will never have the intimacy of many other neighbourhoods, not the ambience and will always have the fun/sleazy/gritty feel that made it the city's main drag and that is a good thing. The problem with Yonge is that despite having very high pedestrian traffic which is primarily for taking in the street life and people watching it has very few places to do it. Toronto should never try to change the soul of Yonge which makes it a street to be both avoided and embraced all at the same time.

The problem with Yonge is that despite all the people, it is one of the most pedestrian unfriendly streets in the city. Yonge is probably the only street in the city where you can't even sit outside to have a coffee little alone a meal to enjoy the people watching. From Bloor to Union, Yonge is completely devoid of any outside patios. Of course the reason for this is an obvious one........the sidewalks are simply too thin.

Nobody ever uses Yonge as a commuter route or main thoroughfare so why does the city treat it as such? The overwhelming majority of traffic on Yonge is pedestrian yet the city treat it like any other street. People who do still "cruise" Yonge are usually looking for a slow ride to take in the sights and not a fast one. Yonge is 4 lanes and should only be 2. Use all that extra space for sidewalks to allow a nice streetscape where restaurants and cafes can add to the urban mania that the street will {hopefully} always have.

To be quite honest, I think Yonge would be better served by having it as a pedestrian only route from Bloor to Front.

There are a few patios but there aren't many, plus open storefront restaurants/shops - but your point is well taken. I'd love to see Yonge reduced to 2 or 3 lanes for wider sidewalks but the problems are deliveries to the shops and much of Yonge Street downtown is now a dead zone after 9 or 10pm. If there was a plan to encourage more nightlife on Yonge Street I think the sidewalk expansion would be worth it, but as is I can't see it.

Making it a 2 lane road would be fine for deliveries during the day and leave room for cruising in the car at night.

Yonge could become a nightlife and circus spot it used to be but it will never happen until the city acknowledges what everyone already knows and every study has shown...............people get to Yonge overwhelmingly by transit and pedestrians greatly out number cars yet pedestrians get one quarter the amount of room except at Dundas Square.

Yonge could be the blast that it use to be if only they would allow it to be.

I briefed through it just a few days ago, it's very encouraging. Hopefully Council sees it that way and passes it in September.

There goes another gift shop ... they're slowly but surely disappearing from Bloor all the way down to Dundas.

Oh btw, there is a starbucks going in just north of here on the east side of Yonge ! Right south of Aura.

There is a McDonald's just 2 blocks north of Gerrard. Isn't that a little too close? This is the last thing we need more of on Yonge Street.

There is a McDonald's just 2 blocks north of Gerrard. Isn't that a little too close? This is the last thing we need more of on Yonge Street.

I'm betting that this is a relocation from that spot rather than an additional location. Makes sense too, as this one will be closer to Ryerson and the Square.

I bet it will be a relocation too. It makes more sense for them to be at this spot. It will be busier. I never did understand why there isn't a McDonald's around our busiest intersection. The nearest actual McDonald's store is at Queen and Church or the one north of College. And one less cruddy gift shop is great!
And a 2 floor Starbucks? I can see that being a new 24 hour store instead of the current one at Yonge & College. That one is far too small. This area is changing for the better!

That McDonalds was just renovated, it only re-opened a few weeks ago and somehow it has survived since the 70's. There used to be a McDonalds south of Dundas right next to Burger King, the same McDee's/Burger King side-by-side used to be on the west side of Yonge south of Bloor too. Those two dual locations also flourished for several decades (since about the mid-70's).

I don't think its that far fetched for both locations to stay around ...

If McDonalds is there, what happened to Times Square Billiards and that independent sports gear store that had both been there at least 25 years?

Pretty sure they're gone forever now ... more and more such places on Yonge are vacating for, predominantly eateries of some form or another (e.g. Starbucks / Bami Boys / McDonnlands / ... all within a block or two of this stip) you can see this throughout the Yonge stretch.

I honestly think its in landlords best interest to all pay for a revivification of Yonge (i.e. redo all the streets / sidewalk) ... if that happens, give it a couple years, I bet its start to resemble Queen (east of Spadina) / the Eaton Center more ... whether you like that or not ... generally that means more $$$ for the landlords. Honestly, I like the character of Yonge, if it was anywhere else I wouldn't mind it staying the way it is ... but given its the face too the World, I wouldn't mind something else.

Back