News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Would have been nice for the cyclists to use a heated right-of-way when the snow falls. Motorists do have heated driveways.
heated-driveway-cutaway-concrete-96.jpg
From link.
Wait are you comparing some rich guy's self paid/self installed heated driveway, to having the government pay for an entire city's worth of heated bike infrastructure? Its not like the city is subsidizing homeowners to install heated driveways, most of us are still lugging snow with a shovel, or maybe if we're lucky, some old 2007 snow blower.

I just don’t understand why we don’t do concrete if our weather fluctuates so much we end up with countless potholes. My understanding is this would not happen with concrete. So it might be an upfront cost but would be a huge maintenance saver. Unless I’m totally wrong.
maintenance would still need to happen at some point. that would be very costly as chipping concrete would be extremely laborious vs asphalt.

No hard surface is completely impervious in our climate. Water eventually gets in. With asphalt, it freezes, expands and creates cracks, potholes, etc. Asphalt is somewhat flexible. With concrete, it and the salt can work its way down to the rebar, which will rust and expand, which will weaken it and put pressure on the concrete which is not particularly flexible.

Asphalt is more prone to rutting ('bus knuckles'), concrete is prone to polishing. No surface is perfect.

No doubt governments have all sorts of data regarding installation costs and lifecycle costs of both.

I wasn't aware that Toronto's arterial roads had concrete as a base. I know the 401 et al in the GTA have been rebuilt on a concrete deck for several years.

I just don’t understand why we don’t do concrete if our weather fluctuates so much we end up with countless potholes. My understanding is this would not happen with concrete. So it might be an upfront cost but would be a huge maintenance saver. Unless I’m totally wrong.
Concrete is louder and less smooth.

Tangents happen...........but I am going to point out this is a thread about a subway extension, not about road building materials, snow removal or hydronics.
yup. agree to disagree. lets move onto why the TBM is stuck and whether its part of a wider sinister conspiracy to stretch the construction schedule to keep the contractor unions employed.

yup. agree to disagree. lets move onto why the TBM is stuck and whether its part of a wider sinister conspiracy to stretch the construction schedule to keep the contractor unions employed.
wait what? which tbm is stuck? you mean that 1 news article about a stuck tbm for a water main or something? how is that related to the SSE?

wait what? which tbm is stuck? you mean that 1 news article about a stuck tbm for a water main or something? how is that related to the SSE?

There were unsubstantiated reports posted here on UT that Diggy Scardust had stalled for some reason.

The tracking map for the Scarborough TBM was removed from the ML website some months ago. Every GTA transit TBM project to date (TYSSE, Crosstown, and Crosstown West) have had such maps for the duration of the project. Crosstown West does maintain such a map at present. Diggy had one - and now it's gone.

We don't know if the TBM was stuck, whether (if it was) that impacted cost or schedule, or even where it has reached today. We don't really know what the original schedule actually was.

Transparency is certainly not ML's strong suit. If everything is OK, there would be no harm in telling us that. So draw whatever conclusions you like from ML's silence.

- Paul

Interesting, though I wonder if both tbms should be on that map instead of just the crosstown one. They never officially announced it for scarborough

Interesting, though I wonder if both tbms should be on that map instead of just the crosstown one. They never officially announced it for scarborough

That's where the Scarborough TBM progress was showing....until it wasn't.

It may be that ML's web site people missed a memo, but it's sure odd that there would not be consistency in format between the web pages for the two projects.

- PUl

That's where the Scarborough TBM progress was showing....until it wasn't.

It may be that ML's web site people missed a memo, but it's sure odd that there would not be consistency in format between the web pages for the two projects.

- PUl
Different groups manage different pages on the ML website. And different groups within the Capital Projects Group manage their own capital project page.

They can't even standardize on a single date format within each page. You want them to all display equivalent information?!?

Dan

Sidewalks and cycling lanes should be plowed. Salt optional.

Old story, from 2018, where the Swedes plow walkways and bike paths first, especially those near bus stops and primary schools. Next, they clear local roads, and then, finally, highways. See link. (Oh, it snows in Sweden, same latitude as Hudson Bay. See link.)
Wait what?! They're not plowed?! Even my small town here they're done in priority, Montreal the same.

Its actually interesting to see how transit influences housing. I am just keeping tabs on condo prices in the city with this interest rate stuff, and all the condos by the RT have dropped in price after its closure announcement.

It could be worthwhile keeping the busway even after the subway opens, since transit in the areas between Kennedy and Brimley will arguably be made worse for many riders.

Back