News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The executive committee has unanimously approved the new transit plan. Nearly 1/3rd of exec is Scarborough councillors.

@salsa

There's a reason that midtown and even Yonge North has seen all the residential development it has. And that's transit....more specifically the minimal time spent on transit. I agree that the subway won't do much for SC in terms of development. But the LRT wouldn't have done much on this front either. If you look at where people want to live, it's largely a function of travel time to the core. With the subway, SC becomes about as attractive as Finch Station. The LRT and current SRT make SC about as attractive as basing at a hypothetical Hwy 7 station. Applying LRT to the SRT corridor is also a deviation from the "Avenues" concept. Most of the SRT corridor is either industrial or low density housing.

Families in Malvern don't really care about your highfalutin ideas about making STC attractive for development. We just want to get home in time for dinner with our families. As it stands now there's nothing for us north of the 401. I can't believe I'm saying this but Miller's plan was better for the M1B than these half baked solutions peddled by the career polis like Tory.

Families in Malvern don't really care about your highfalutin ideas about making STC attractive for development. We just want to get home in time for dinner with our families. As it stands now there's nothing for us north of the 401. I can't believe I'm saying this but Miller's plan was better for the M1B than these half baked solutions peddled by the career polis like Tory.

Grew up in Malvern. Live in the M1X at the moment. So hardly unfamiliar with the issues. I might have supported the SLRT if they were actually going to take it Malvern Town Centre. Instead, they decided to terminate at Sheppard/Progress. From Morningside Heights, that's a max of 10 mins saving on the bus. And you still have the transfer at Kennedy. At least with this plan, everybody in North Scarborough ditches that transfer and gets a bit of a faster ride through Kennedy. May not be as great for Malvern. But this one also benefits Agincourt.

And if Smart Track pans out, you won't be using the subway extension or LRT to head to the core.....

What back asswards here is the insistence on building a downtown focused network around long-haul subways and LRT instead of suburban rail. This is compounded by the fact that most people have an end destination in Scarborough. That's the only way to cut these 2hr commutes down. Everybody else doesn't need an LRT running through STC. They'd be better off with an LRT running the length of Kennedy.

Last edited:
You do know the LRTs can be extended after they are completed as a first phase? I would like to see them extend them further out, maybe to the Toronto Zoo. They only will be getting so much in capital funding, which takes them to where they indicate. Give them more funding, they'll extend it.

Personally, if they could just tear down the Gardiner and replace it with a boulevard, they'll have the capital funding to do just that. But, they rather waste it on their precious hybrid option.

You do know the LRTs can be extended after they are completed as a first phase? I would like to see them extend them further out, maybe to the Toronto Zoo. They only will be getting so much in capital funding, which takes them to where they indicate. Give them more funding, they'll extend it.

Personally, if they could just tear down the Gardiner and replace it with a boulevard, they'll have the capital funding to do just that. But, they rather waste it on their precious hybrid option.

The 'boulevard stump' that will not be a slow-moving, enjoyable street to walk down is a waste as well. Back on topic...

what exists north of 401

You do also have the option of moving closer to existing mass transit.

You do also have the option of moving closer to existing mass transit.
If you have the money, near your job and willing to up root your family life style and friends.

Need better service period and get what was promises to them in the 70's.

what exists north of 401

Have you not been north of the 401?
Many neighborhoods, insitutions and attractions exist there. Also Toronto Zoo, Seneca College, Malvern Town Centre, The Sheppard Subway, Fairview Mall, Rouge Park, Chinese Cultural Centre of GTA, Tam-o-Shantern golf club, Pacific Mall, Fairview Mall, North York General Hospital, etc.
Many things exist north of the 401. If you have time, you should explore that area, try to learn about it.

Back on topic regarding transit options for Scarborough

PS: if you want to know more, feel free to PM me

Looking at the conversion from LRT to EMU, the SRT becomes part of Tory SmartTrack and will finally give the Malvern Residents their transit that was promises to them in the 70's.

Doing this would save Millions/Billions by not building the subway as plan and service 10'000's of non transit riders today. It would not see the SRT converted to LRT as originally plan, but would offer that single seat to the city that neither the LRT or the subway can do once (if) built.

Going to EMU opens a door to better expansion not only within the Scarborough area ( Toronto 416), but going into the 905 area (outside Toronto) and connecting to CP line north of Malvern that will become of Metrolinx Crosstown GO Transit plan line.

If Tram-Train was every approve for Ontario, it would open the doors more for different type of service as well where to run them.

Transit half-step no cause for celebration

Back