News   Jul 09, 2024
 754     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 601     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I rode MARTA recently and was pretty impressed with the service! Yes, it wasn't as frequent as the TTC, but it was way faster than the TTC. I was amazed that I got from the airport to downtown (a 16km distance) in 17 minutes. The same distance on the Bloor line would take twice as long.

Atlanta's Marta gets 31.8% of its revenue from the farebox, while Toronto TTC's gets 73% from the farebox. The rest is subsidies. Now imagine if Toronto got the same subsidy as Atlanta...

Toronto probably gets a much larger subsidy than Atlanta in pure dollars.. But Atlanta has crazy low ridership comparably so Toronto is much more "efficient"

It might have been proposed if the Scarborough Subway Extension wasn't such a political "must have".

I doubt it. Stouffville corridor was to be AD2W using diesels to beyond 2031, and only switched to the current proposal for electrification and RER until well after the debates and vote for SSE. Which definitely makes me question if there was a motive behind the Prov/Metrolinx's change of mind for the corridor.

Personally I think this is an interesting proposal, and it's clearly feasible and potentially a great idea. But I can't support it without knowing what exactly the Prov's idea of RER is or will entail. How much of a premium will it cost to use it vs subway, and will that premium be exorbitant? What kind of frequencies will it have? Will it use bilevels? Will there be carpeting and washrooms?

If Scarboro felt slighted by a fully grade-separated high-frequency light metro rapid transit line (either as SRT or SLRT - systems that I think are great and we should be building more of across the GTA), then how will they feel about a two floor train with bathrooms and which potentially costs 3x more than the TTC to ride over the same distance?

Well makes sense to have it follow the current corridor and save tons of money and time.

I have to confess thou that it seems a bit redundant. If they want to have one solid route from STC to Union why don't they just expand the current SRT. Buy the new MK111 cars which can be 100 meters completely articulated, fix the curb, expand the stations and save another $1 billion?

The MK11's are great and incredibly smooth and quiet and have never had any problems in the snow in Vancouver. Yes we don't get it often but when we do we can really get hit. To let you know how antiquated your trains are, they don't even make MK11 trains anymore. That extra billion saved would take the line to Malvern or pay for most of the Union to Kennedy section.

Anyway it they want subway this seems like a good way to do it and save time, money, and disruption to the neighbourhoods during construction.

I think this does raise a good issue about what is needed and making sure that lines don't bleed ridership from each other.........everyone wonders how RER will effect ridership on certain lines but no one {including the government} knows exactly what RER is.

https://twitter.com/jimkarygiannis/status/692561181391876096

Karygiannis already making noise about Sheppard subway.

His full statement:

"Mayor John Tory recently released the Scarborough Transit Planning Update. Original Scarborough Transit Plan envisioned three subway stops. One was to serve transit riders who live north of the 401.

Unfortunately, the Scarborough Transit Planning Update recommends that these stops be abandoned and replaced with a subway stop at Scarborough Town Centre. This cancellation will leave residents of Scarborough, who live north of the 401, without a subway.

Mayor Tory has indicated that he now supports abandoning the three subway stop solution in favour of the one stop at Scarborough Town Centre. I do not agree with the Mayor’s new plan. I believe that the residents of Scarborough, who live north of the 401, should have easy access to the subway system.

It is time that we start talking seriously about extending the Sheppard Subway."

Last edited:
The MK11's are great and incredibly smooth and quiet and have never had any problems in the snow in Vancouver. Yes we don't get it often but when we do we can really get hit. To let you know how antiquated your trains are, they don't even make MK11 trains anymore. That extra billion saved would take the line to Malvern or pay for most of the Union to Kennedy section.

True. And it doesn't have to be Bombardier's Innovia ART line of vehicles. Any kind of light metro / Advanced LRT / fully grade-separated light rail line. But the problem is that people insult you for proposing such a thing outside of Scarboro. Believe me, I know. They'll go on and on about the horrors of such a system, that we can only build along corridors and not industrial lots, that we can't ever have a forced transfer, and that we can never build anything elevated ever. Except of course in Scarboro, where it's viewed as the right answer. And people wonder why Scarberians feel shafted. I'd be upset too if my area of the GTA was the only one getting such a system, all the while we're making high-risk ventures like sending deep bore heavy rail subways to fields north of Steeles.

I've always maintained that if we built or proposed a line similar to the SRT somewhere else in TO or the GTA, then Scarboro would be more accepting of the current SRT and/or any upgrade/expansion/retrofit. Since that has never happened, the public demand for a Line 2 extension was an inevitability that we should've seen coming.

His full statement:

"Mayor John Tory recently released the Scarborough Transit Planning Update. Original Scarborough Transit Plan envisioned three subway stops. One was to serve transit riders who live north of the 401.

Unfortunately, the Scarborough Transit Planning Update recommends that these stops be abandoned and replaced with a subway stop at Scarborough Town Centre. This cancellation will leave residents of Scarborough, who live north of the 401, without a subway.

Mayor Tory has indicated that he now supports abandoning the three subway stop solution in favour of the one stop at Scarborough Town Centre. I do not agree with the Mayor’s new plan. I believe that the residents of Scarborough, who live north of the 401, should have easy access to the subway system.

It is time that we start talking seriously about extending the Sheppard Subway."

"Adding one extra station onto an existing subway plan was deemed too expensive, so instead let's push for a new plan featuring even more stations! That's bound to be less expensive!"

The stupidity of this line of reasoning astounds me.

https://twitter.com/jimkarygiannis/status/692561181391876096

Karygiannis already making noise about Sheppard subway.

His full statement:

"Adding one extra station onto an existing subway plan was deemed too expensive, so instead let's push for a new plan featuring even more stations! That's bound to be less expensive!"

The stupidity of this line of reasoning astounds me.

Well I told you guys. Gweed, he's thinking the savings from cutting the Bloor Danforth extension to STC can go to Sheppard.

Jimmy K wanted us to tunnel the Gardiner East, remember. Not shy of spending a $, that one. Maybe it's all that time in fed politics where there is no debt ceiling.

Back