News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Tory isnt going to like this; the current chief planner (just like his predecessor) is essentially stating the Scarborough subway proposal is not an adequate way to spend city resources.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...carborough-subway-is-not-a-good-use-of-money/
Best Benefit/Cost ratio was found for the connected Eglinton-Scarborough LRT (STC to Mount Dennis).
Also Best Benefit/Cost ratio was found for the fully grade-separated Eglinton West LRT.

What's the point of doing an analysis if they won't follow the results?

The SRT is virtually crumbling, there's only so many times something can be overhauled before it needs to be completely phased out. Just look at what's been going on with the streetcar fleet.
Likely is it faster to buy new train cars than to build an entire subway.
Or to waste time and go back and forth between transfer LRT and subway a few more times.

Best Benefit/Cost ratio was found for the connected Eglinton-Scarborough LRT (STC to Mount Dennis).
Also Best Benefit/Cost ratio was found for the fully grade-separated Eglinton West LRT.

The first report isn’t comparing options available to Council at the time.

For the second report, the grade separated option has the highest BCR only for the lower price ranges, while carrying a lot more risk and a higher overall price. In other words, the same BCR could be achieved at a lower cost and risk than the grade separated option.

Last edited:
Reactions: syn

With the fact that the crosstown is being extended east to UTSC, that option isn't available anymore since the theoretical maximum capacity of the line would be less than what it is today.

While I really dislike this project, I am a bit concerned about the general state of paralysis and the thought of reconsidering the options yet again. I'm wondering what the likelihood of nothing happening is, resulting in the eventual failure of the SRT. Toronto already allowed Yonge overcrowding to become a crisis, and it seems like while the SRT isn't a crisis yet it will be. At this rate, Montreal will have completed the REM, Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary will have built all their LRT expansions and all that will have happened in Toronto is a lot of talk and debate.

That is a very real possibility. I think its at this is just a fact of life for Toronto. Toronto imo is just far to large and bloated from a Government standpoint to get anything done efficiently. This is just another one of the adverse effects of Amalgamation finally coming into the light.

While I really dislike this project, I am a bit concerned about the general state of paralysis and the thought of reconsidering the options yet again. I'm wondering what the likelihood of nothing happening is, resulting in the eventual failure of the SRT. Toronto already allowed Yonge overcrowding to become a crisis, and it seems like while the SRT isn't a crisis yet it will be. At this rate, Montreal will have completed the REM, Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary will have built all their LRT expansions and all that will have happened in Toronto is a lot of talk and debate.

It may just be a formality now that after the election the Province will be uploading this project and subways moving forward. Tory's job was to keep it alive and he succeeded. Once they get subways out of the City hands these far overdue projects will move forward with much less resistance. Whether anyone agrees or not the people who live here have been clear they want a better connection to their Centre in the City they have pay taxes in and although fought heavily its really been the only guaranteed project for some time. Money is finally flowing into our other projects from all levels and stripes. This is a different climate and although the Province will likely help the City here with subways our City council from all areas will still need to find some form of respect for other area voters when it come to LRT/BRT projects (or any projects) that they will still have some debate over. Its time to end the all talk and debate culture which was caused from decades of financial neglect.

Last edited:
With the fact that the crosstown is being extended east to UTSC, that option isn't available anymore since the theoretical maximum capacity of the line would be less than what it is today.

Anything is possible per new governance.

Eglinton-Scarborough combined LRT could be restored to SCC, Centennial and Malvern with the Bloor-Danforth getting extended to UTSC via Eglinton /Kingston /Morningside.

Eglinton-Scarborough combined LRT could be restored to SCC, Centennial and Malvern with the Bloor-Danforth getting extended to UTSC via Eglinton /Kingston /Morningside.

That's a good point with the LRT. Ford was clear about 3 things. A multi-stop subway to SCC, the Sheppard loop and burying the Crosstown to Kennedy. While I agree with him if we were starting fresh, Id far rather we keep moving on as fast as possible. I don't agree with the BDL to UTSC would ever happen if we cant even get it to SCC

That's a good point with the LRT. Ford was clear about 3 things. A multi-stop subway to SCC, the Sheppard loop and burying the Crosstown to Kennedy. While I agree with him if we were starting fresh, Id far rather we keep moving on as fast as possible. I don't agree with the BDL to UTSC would ever happen if we cant even get it to SCC
Leave the Crosstown alone. 2 subways was enough. The Crosstown is going through to UTSC.

Don't you think the Subway would be empty past eglinton McCowan?

Leave the Crosstown alone. 2 subways was enough. The Crosstown is going through to UTSC.
Don't you think the Subway would be empty past eglinton McCowan?

I agree in all aspects. I think if Ford did tunnel the Crosstown there would be a transfer again for the EELRT and it would never be a subway. Forget ridership, cost of deep bore and stops to UTSC is a non starter. Upending the Crosstown is the one item that irks me in Fords plan. I'm a big fan of the subway loop, but the Crosstown needs to be left alone at this stage with EELRT so far along.

Now people are getting creative, Scarborough Subway Extension (Line 2) to UTSC, Sheppard East Subway Extension to UTSC, and Eglinton East LRT Extension to Malvern via Scarborough Town Centre. :eek:

Back