News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I just hope they tunnel the subway because there are some lovely views of McDonald's and Petro-Canada along the route.

Serving the Malvern Centre will be relatively easy, using a branch of Sheppard LRT or BRT, going up Neilson.

The loss of connection to Centennial College is a weak point of the subway option. If they are building the Durham - Ellesmere BRT, I would look at the possibility of veering it north off Ellesmere at some point just west of the Highland Creek bridge, then following the Highland Creek valley and reaching Centennial campus from the south, and finally going to STC. However, I am not familiar with the area, and do not know whether such route is technically and fiscally feasible.

I've long thought it would be good to build a busway along the south side of the 401 between Centenntial College and Neilson. It would be pretty short and the land is vacant, but it would allow buses to Malvern (namely the 133) to cut a good 10 minutes or so off its trip and would permit a high frequency of buses to operate between Centennital and STC (by making Centennial on the way to other destinations). This marginal improvement would offer substantial travel time benefits to Malvernites.

I made a map describing the idea.

An idea of how many students attend the Centennial College Progress Campus would be a good addition to this discussion.

(And the numbers for the co-located UTSC+Centennial College Morningside Campus would be useful for comparison)

So will I? Hence why I suggested that they study the alternatives. Metrolinx has not studied these alternatives and the TTC has not studied the alternative I mentioned.

Questioning the connection to Sheppard is beyond counter productive and there's a reason why they never bother to study it. Makes no sense to keep sheppard and the RT separated

From the sounds of it, the Bloor-Danforth extension is getting lots of support from Toronto city councilors:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2013/04/29/tory_calls_out_ford_wynne_to_get_transit_taxes_done.html
Without commenting on the merits of subway v LRT in this application.....this quote is very interesting

“If Scarborough is not going to get any benefits from enhanced revenue tools, why would we support it?â€

Methinks we are in for lots of these stories.......everyone is gonna be in favor of revenue tools.....as long as the money is spent on them!

Perhaps because there is no plan to? The TTC January 21, 2013 report detailing this plan, goes up McCowan.

I meant that in most of the news articles I read they were talking as if the subway plan was to upgrade the SRT to subway technology. The new tunnelled alignment wasn't even mentioned. It sounded like it was framed as "do we change the SRT to LRT or to a subway?".

Methinks we are in for lots of these stories.......everyone is gonna be in favor of revenue tools.....as long as the money is spent on them!

Any surprise that the list of projects is, essentially:
- GO improvements, plus...
- Hamilton's #1 project (Hamilton LRT)
- Halton's #1 project (Dundas BRT)
- Mississauga's #1 Project (Hurontario LRT)
- Brampton's #1 project (Queen Street BRT)
- York's #1 project (Yonge Subway extension)
- Durham's #1 project (Hwy 2 BRT)
- Politicians can't seem to agree what Toronto's priorities are, so instead we get Andy Byford's #1 project (DRL)

Seems like something for everyone if you're listening to the chairs of the regional governments. Unfortunately, politics is actually much more local than that.

I meant that in most of the news articles I read they were talking as if the subway plan was to upgrade the SRT to subway technology. The new tunnelled alignment wasn't even mentioned. It sounded like it was framed as "do we change the SRT to LRT or to a subway?".
All that demonstrates is that those who are writing on the subject for the media are ignorant - not only of what is possible, but of where to find the most recent TTC report, only a few weeks old, that shows the proposed alignment.

sensitive aren't we. It wasn't a comeback. just common sense.

"Common sense" is what makes Rob Ford say "we can pay for transit by cutting the waste".

Real transit planning involves looking at budgets and travel patterns (which often aren't intuitive). If cutting the BD extension back to STC is what is needed to make a BD extension happen so that the budget is comprable to the current SRT LRT plan, then we should consider it. Even if it doesn't mean a connection between Subway and Sheppard LRT at the not-a-logical-location-for-a-major-transit-hub of McCowan and Sheppard.

Real transit planning involves looking at budgets and travel patterns (which often aren't intuitive). If cutting the BD extension back to STC is what is needed to make a BD extension happen so that the budget is comprable to the current SRT LRT plan, then we should consider it.
Yes, that would make sense ... if the current SRT LRT plan was for just rebuilding the SRT to Scarborough Centre. However much, if not most of the $ currently assigned isn't to rebuild the 6-km line from Kennedy to Scarborough Centre, it's to extend it by 4-km to Sheppard.

"Common sense" is what makes Rob Ford say "we can pay for transit by cutting the waste".

Real transit planning involves looking at budgets and travel patterns (which often aren't intuitive). If cutting the BD extension back to STC is what is needed to make a BD extension happen so that the budget is comprable to the current SRT LRT plan, then we should consider it. Even if it doesn't mean a connection between Subway and Sheppard LRT at the not-a-logical-location-for-a-major-transit-hub of McCowan and Sheppard.

if that is what must be done, than the LRT is the better option.

Even if it doesn't mean a connection between Subway and Sheppard LRT at the not-a-logical-location-for-a-major-transit-hub of McCowan and Sheppard.

Yes, if a logical transportation hub is McCowan and Sheppard where, other than the one residential building, the area is about as low density as it gets, then the "common sense" we are talking about is really the sensibility of people that don't understand that all the world's workings can't be summed up in a paragraph or a factoid in the Toronto Sun. The area designated a "place to grow" is Scarborough Centre and the largest weekly trip generator in the area is likely the mall and not the car dealership or the Canadian Tire. It is far cheaper to run every other LRT on tracks down to Scarborough Centre than to extend the subway and create a huge bus station so close to the "place to grow" but not close enough to walk. The hub of GO, bus routes, the subway, and LRT seem to be more suited to a location at Scarborough Centre.

Any surprise that the list of projects is, essentially:
- GO improvements, plus...
- Hamilton's #1 project (Hamilton LRT)
- Halton's #1 project (Dundas BRT)
- Mississauga's #1 Project (Hurontario LRT)
- Brampton's #1 project (Queen Street BRT)
- York's #1 project (Yonge Subway extension)
- Durham's #1 project (Hwy 2 BRT)
- Politicians can't seem to agree what Toronto's priorities are, so instead we get Andy Byford's #1 project (DRL)

Seems like something for everyone if you're listening to the chairs of the regional governments. Unfortunately, politics is actually much more local than that.

I think council could come to the consensus that the DRL is the priority project right now, and in no way would they put the B-D extension above it. but if you can get both, why not try?

Without commenting on the merits of subway v LRT in this application.....this quote is very interesting

Scarborough is technically getting BRT running from SRT to Pickering, Electrified urban rail on the lakeshore corridor, and all day 2 way GO on the Stouffville corridor. This is of course on top of the $4+ billion of the Transit city funding being spent in the borough.

Back