News   Jul 15, 2024
 49     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 501     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 603     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

now that there is going to be another by-election in Scarborough....a journo has written the first thing that had popped into my mind when I heard the news:

View attachment 70478

Never heard too many Malvernites get jazzed about the Sheppard subway. Was never going to touch Malvern. And most of the bus routes here go to Scarborough Centre. That's why the SC subway was supported.

Possibly. I guess it's hard to know operation costs of RER at this point since it's yet to be implemented. And there seem to be different ways of going about how costs can be presented, whether they're presented line-by-line, or if they're presented at all.

One thing that could reduce RER's op costs compared with underground subways is manned vs unmanned stations. It's probably a drop in the buck in the grand scheme of things, but it's my understanding that with an underground station it's mandated by law that at least one personnel has to be onsite during operating hours. With an open-air platform like GO/RER that's obviously not needed.

By what you are saying if true, that would mean even the underground stations along the Crosstown statiosn will be mandated to be manned but at a Metrolinx community meeting, my husband asked them afterwards and was told the stations would not be manned. So if its the law what gives with that line?

By what you are saying if true, that would mean even the underground stations along the Crosstown statiosn will be mandated to be manned but at a Metrolinx community meeting, my husband asked them afterwards and was told the stations would not be manned. So if its the law what gives with that line?

By "manned" you mean inside a booth, then no. There maybe station managers or fare inspectors roaming around the stations (plural) to check fares and/or answer inquires.

By "manned" you mean inside a booth, then no. There maybe station managers or fare inspectors roaming around the stations (plural) to check fares and/or answer inquires.
Thats what i meant - at least 1 person there at the below ground station. But Metrolix did say unmanned. This I do not like if true that underground stations will have no TTC person there like they do at all other subway stations. To me its a safety issue nevermind if there are issues with payment

I'm not positive it's true, and I've never seen any law/statute dictating such a thing. But I do know that's the rule in London, and it at least seems to be the case here with our existing stations (and kinda makes sense from a safety standpoint).

I'm not positive it's true, and I've never seen any law/statute dictating such a thing. But I do know that's the rule in London, and it at least seems to be the case here with our existing stations (and kinda makes sense from a safety standpoint).
well I agree with you here and will bring this up as there is another community meeting with metrolinx coming up regarding a secondary entrance at Keele. Metrolinx has purchased land from surplus land from TDSB and before construction starts, a mature tree must be removed form TDSB lands and as part of the TDSB lands and tree removal process, public consultation must be held.

Thats what i meant - at least 1 person there at the below ground station. But Metrolix did say unmanned. This I do not like if true that underground stations will have no TTC person there like they do at all other subway stations. To me its a safety issue nevermind if there are issues with payment

Why is it a safety issue? Would the TTC fare collector intervene if there is a problem? I've never seen them leave their booth even when there is an emergency at track level nor when the subway has been shut down and there is a serious concern of overcrowding at track level. So even today I don't see the benefit of a manned booth other than to monitor fare evasion (but again they will switch from gates to a roving person checking the Presto card)

Why is it a safety issue? Would the TTC fare collector intervene if there is a problem? I've never seen them leave their booth even when there is an emergency at track level nor when the subway has been shut down and there is a serious concern of overcrowding at track level. So even today I don't see the benefit of a manned booth other than to monitor fare evasion (but again they will switch from gates to a roving person checking the Presto card)
Well safety or security. Is it the same thing? I see your point, but I would hope that as someone is coming up and going through turnstile that if there was someone there waiting to do something to another person (steal money), etc that the station attendant would call police or something.

The other thing is people jumping those turnstiles to ride for free.

Back