News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Does it really matter if the tunnel is a little behind? The tunnel on eglinton was completed ages ago. My understanding is that it’s the stations which take longer. How are they coming along on the new stations?
Eglinton tunelling was completed over 7-years ago.

I believe the current design calls for the tunnel to be completed, before they dig the stations and emergency-exits. But there's still a lot they can be doing. Especially at Kennedy with the cut-and-cover portion near the station, and the extended Kennedy station box.

It's unfortunate that they don't do a design that lets them build the stations before tunelling. Which is what is being done for the new subway in Vancouver. And I believe much of the Ontario Line tunelling downtown as well.

Eglinton tunelling was completed over 7-years ago.

I believe the current design calls for the tunnel to be completed, before they dig the stations and emergency-exits. But there's still a lot they can be doing. Especially at Kennedy with the cut-and-cover portion near the station, and the extended Kennedy station box.

It's unfortunate that they don't do a design that lets them build the stations before tunelling. Which is what is being done for the new subway in Vancouver. And I believe much of the Ontario Line tunelling downtown as well.
yup thats what happens when the ML construction specs and the engineering core designs are unchanged for the last 50 years. innovation and change is difficult with so much red tape

yup thats what happens when the ML construction specs and the engineering core designs are unchanged for the last 50 years. innovation and change is difficult with so much red tape
It's a more of they way the contracting is done - which was new for this project. And surely that they changed it for the Ontario Line demonstrates the opposite.

Which doesn't mean that Metrolinx aren't incompetent - particularly in the area of contract law.

It's tough to judge, but the distance in the photos attached above looks to be far more than 100m to me. The machine itself is longer than that distance, and so even if it's only doubled its own length, that means they've tunneled more than a quarter kilometer thus far.
Metrolinx reported last week, that they'd installed about 225 of the 3500 rings for the subway. That's about 6.4%. So about 500 metres.

e50e2a13-ecca-41c4-b766-6faac2ac9abd.jpeg

I wonder if the cars can be shipped to Vancouver for their Skytrain or are they just going to scrap?
Vancouver is getting brand new trains! They don’t need our hand-me-downs haha

However, one of the councillors spoke about the possibility of saving a RT set. That would be really cool if they could have a set on display in Civic Centre like the trains in Roundhouse Park.

Vancouver is getting brand new trains! They don’t need our hand-me-downs haha

They still have theiroriginal ones running.

However, one of the councillors spoke about the possibility of saving a RT set. That would be really cool if they could have a set on display in Civic Centre like the trains in Roundhouse Park.
That would be a nice thing.

Back