News   Jul 22, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 611     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Went for a nice ride today, Cabbagetown, down Sherbourne to Queen‘s Quay, up through CNE and over the Fort York bridge, up to College, Harbord and Wellesley to home. But the number of cars parked on the bike lanes on Wellesley is frustrating. There ought to be an app where cyclists can report them for enforcement, not statistics.

Went for a nice ride today, Cabbagetown, down Sherbourne to Queen‘s Quay, up through CNE and over the Fort York bridge, up to College, Harbord and Wellesley to home. But the number of cars parked on the bike lanes on Wellesley is frustrating. There ought to be an app where cyclists can report them for enforcement, not statistics.

To your point:

So damn frustrating.

bus stops.

Indeed; this is but another inconsistency in the Citys' design standards! On full reconstructions where they've implemented a full raised cycle track, the standard is to raise the bus stop up to the cycle track level and have the bus come to a stop in its lane, whereas where there's no raised cycle track, the standard is to continue to have the bus pull fully into the bike lane to make its pick-up/drop-off (which is itself obviously super dangerous, and also as you note means there are many gaps in the protection).

*Endless headdesk.*

Reactions: max
The fix is so obvious.... no more bike lanes without a hard barrier. If a hard barrier isn’t going in, don’t put down the lane paint. We need provincial standards for bike lanes, and the minimum needs to be a hard curb.

We need laws, not guidelines.

Last edited:
Indeed; this is but another inconsistency in the Citys' design standards! On full reconstructions where they've implemented a full raised cycle track, the standard is to raise the bus stop up to the cycle track level and have the bus come to a stop in its lane, whereas where there's no raised cycle track, the standard is to continue to have the bus pull fully into the bike lane to make its pick-up/drop-off (which is itself obviously super dangerous, and also as you note means there are many gaps in the protection).

*Endless headdesk.*

Unfortunately, they need to comply with AODA standards. The curb must meet the bike lane and if you want the curb to meet the bus and not block the bike lane, that's around $25,000 for permanent curb extensions (raised cycle tracks for each bus stop). I'm pretty sure some temporary scaffolding could work... but not everyone would be happy about it.

I really like the idea of adding precast concrete curbs. Can we just install sparatically, and on every bike lane that has buffers. Just build them, and don't stop. Build it, build it, build it and build more. It's so quick and easy, and affordable. My next nomination is... Millwood Bridge! Actually I think it needs a jersey barrier.

The entire road'll be repaved eventually and they'll rebuild it properly (I bloody hope). This design will kinda do for now.

I saw them working on Shaw already, seems it'll be done before it was supposed to be!

Last edited:
In other news, the Montreal borough of Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie just released their 2020 plans for new separated cycling lanes.

This year the borough will add 65 km of new separated bike lanes on 2 major east west avenues: Bellechasse and St. Zotique. To do so, both avenues will be converted to one way streets for all auto traffic. This is part of Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie's overall cycling plan - "Vision velo" - to implement the largest network of separated bike lanes in North America. Reconfiguration of above 2 streets will begin in June.

Announcement in French: https://montreal.ca/articles/vision...oWropN-yO_OnAYkkE4wb1AptZIC5p3v_I5sgiRWENNs0I

oa0p5zmtoshepcspnird.jpg

- Source: Ville de Montreal, Vision Velo

Website is up folks! The city has released an initial list for quiet streets and parallel trail road closures and also what their plan is for traffic calming.

Quiet Streets initial locations (as of May 14)
  • Kensington Market (area that borders Nassau Ave., Spadina Ave, Augusta Ave. and Dundas St. W.)
  • Shaughnessy Blvd. between Van Horne Ave. and Havenbrook Blvd.
  • Havenbrook Blvd. between Shaughnessy and Manorpark Ct.
    Lakeshore Dr./Lake Promenade (First Ave. to Forty Second St.)
  • High Park Ave. (Bloor St. W. to Annette St.)
  • Brock/Emerson/Cowan Ave. (Dupont St. to King St. W.)
  • Winona Dr. (Eglinton Ave. to Davenport Rd.)
  • The Esplanade (boundaries TBC)
  • Crawford St./Montrose Ave. (Bloor St. W. to Queen St. W.)
  • Howard and Earl Streets (Sherbourne St. to Parliament St.)
  • Sackville/Sumach Streets (Shuter St. to Gerrard St. E.)
  • Monarch Park Ave. (Felstead Ave. to Sammon Ave.)
  • Fulton/Sammon Avenues (Broadview Ave. to Monarch Park Ave.)
  • Woodfield Rd. (Knox Ave. to Walpole Ave.)
  • Lee Ave. (Kingston Rd. to Alfresco Lawn)
  • Secord Ave./Eastdale Ave./Lumsden Ave./Main St./Hamstead Ave./West Lake Ave. (Dawes Rd. to Oak Park Ave.)
  • Military Trail/Highcastle Rd. (Sealstone Terrace to Bonspiel Dr.)
  • Kew Beach Ave. (Waverly Rd to Lake Shore Blvd. E.)
  • Westview Blvd. (St Clair Ave. E. to Holland Ave.)
  • Dundalk Dr. (Ellesmere Rd. to Antrim Cr.)
  • Trudelle St./Cedar Brae Blvd. (Danforth Rd. to Bellamy Rd.)
Major Roads (paralleling trails): Victoria Day Weekend closures (beginning Saturday May 16, 2020 at 6 a.m. and ending Monday May 18, 2020 at 11 p.m.)
  • Lake Shore Boulevard West, between Windermere Avenue to Stadium Road (Eastbound lanes only)
  • Bayview Avenue from Mill Street to Rosedale Valley Road, as well as the portion of River Street from north of Gerrard Street East to Bayview Avenue (Full closure)
Temporary Bike Lanes and expediting the cycle network: To be determined very very soon!

Back