News   Jul 15, 2024
 561     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 596     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

If you're pissing off Holyday, you're doing the right thing.
The same rings true for John Tory.

Two downtown city councillors are pushing for a bike lane on University Avenue as part of the city’s response to COVID-19 but Mayor John Tory is accusing them of “playing politics” with the crisis.
- Global News

Two downtown city councillors are pushing for a bike lane on University Avenue as part of the city’s response to COVID-19 but Mayor John Tory is accusing them of “playing politics” with the crisis.
- Global News

Yeah, he’s unfortunately really ratcheting up his whole “people who don’t agree with my position are radicals” schtick.

Councillors Cressy and Layton pushing for cycle tracks on University Avenue from Adelaide to Davenport.

I actually would like to see the center divider be repurposed with a bike lane on it, but this would obviously be a lot of work. And difficult in some areas where there are statues etc.

I actually would like to see the center divider be repurposed with a bike lane on it, but this would obviously be a lot of work. And difficult in some areas where there are statues etc.

That won't be contemplated.

What is being contemplated is dropping one lane of traffic in each direction.

- Global News
I voted for Tory in 2014 but not in 2018, and these kinds of comments and lack of vision is precisely why.

Talk is cheap, we need action on essential mobility infrastructure in this city including cycling facilities. Tory seems pretty flexible with most policy with the exception for any initiative that improves mobility issues for vulnerable populations, or vision zero and complete streets initiatives, totally ironic because he campaigned on vision zero in particular.

Cities across the globe are expanding sidewalk space and performing road diets in favour of cycling lanes, and Toronto's leadership is one of inaction and lost opportunity. Tory has the best excuse so far in his tenure to "pilot" a host of cycling improvements across the city without disapproval from pretty much any segment of the population with the sole exception of a minority of people who think like Stephen Holyday.

Councillor Bradford is teasing a big cycling announcement on Twitter:

1590276754034.png

That won't be contemplated.

What is being contemplated is dropping one lane of traffic in each direction.

yes, im well aware what the actual agenda of bike lanes in downtown is. Because a solution that doesnt impact the number of lanes for cars is never considered. Its blatantly obvious.

I voted for Tory in 2014 but not in 2018, and these kinds of comments and lack of vision is precisely why.

Talk is cheap, we need action on essential mobility infrastructure in this city including cycling facilities. Tory seems pretty flexible with most policy with the exception for any initiative that improves mobility issues for vulnerable populations, or vision zero and complete streets initiatives, totally ironic because he campaigned on vision zero in particular.

Cities across the globe are expanding sidewalk space and performing road diets in favour of cycling lanes, and Toronto's leadership is one of inaction and lost opportunity. Tory has the best excuse so far in his tenure to "pilot" a host of cycling improvements across the city without disapproval from pretty much any segment of the population with the sole exception of a minority of people who think like Stephen Holyday.
Tory is a maintainer, not a disrupter- change comes at small increments for him (unless initiated by others like Keesmaat). He was what Toronto wanted after the chaos of Rob Ford, but the city needs to move beyond him now.

These kinds of comments from him are aligned with what the majority of voters want.
Most people want to be left alone to do their own thing and stay in their comfort zone, even if it's not best practices.

yes, im well aware what the actual agenda of bike lanes in downtown is. Because a solution that doesnt impact the number of lanes for cars is never considered. Its blatantly obvious.

You would destroy Toronto's only serious attempt at a 'grand street'; a well landscaped median, rather than see a single lane removed for cars on an 8-lane road that is more than 1/2 empty, for more than 3/4 of all hours in a typical week?

Really?

I drive, I own a car; I rarely drive to downtown. That's not why I own a car.

If I did, I'd expect slower-paced traffic and pricey parking.

I don't see anything wrong with valuing what University Avenue is; even though it could be better and the median is long overdue for maintenance.

I also don't see anything wrong with reducing it to a six-lane road.

As I drove eastward on Gerrard from Broadview to Coxwell I’m struck by the number of cyclists trying to navigate between streetcars, automobiles and parked cars.... there’s only about two feet of clearance, and then you’re in dooring range. This stretch of Gerrard needs to have all parking removed and replaced by hard-separated bike lanes on both sides. Keep the bike lane narrow and two lanes of traffic both ways should be doable. Then construct more Green P spaces to accommodate the now displaced cars.

As I drove eastward on Gerrard from Broadview to Coxwell I’m struck by the number of cyclists trying to navigate between streetcars, automobiles and parked cars.... there’s only about two feet of clearance, and then you’re in dooring range. This stretch of Gerrard needs to have all parking removed and replaced by hard-separated bike lanes on both sides. Keep the bike lane narrow and two lanes of traffic both ways should be doable. Then construct more Green P spaces to accommodate the now displaced cars.

I measured the size of the curb lane on Gerrard in multiple points along the Broadview to Gerrard section.

It ranges from 3.26M to 3.40M

Minimum size is 3M.

That's a bike lane of 0.26M to 0.4M (less than 1ft to just under 18 inches), if you intend to have 2 vehicle travel lanes each way.

Not viable.

I'm all for phasing out parking; but the only way to provide a bike lane here would be to eliminate the curb lanes as car lanes all together.

There is an advantage to that, in that it would eliminate the issue of cars passing streetcars at stops, and so improve rider/pedestrian safety.

The downside (assuming we're not banning cars from Gerrard all together) would that it would likely slow streetcar travel a bit in peak travel times.

Given the issues all this would cause, I think I'd rather make sure we get a Danforth bike lane in place; and upgrade the Dundas lane to full physical separation.

But I'd be happy to revisit this later!

Tory said on CP24 this morning that the city was announcing 40km of lanes today, Bloor (Shaw-Runnymede), Danforth (?), Bloor (Avenue-Sherbourne) & University (Likely the same stretch those politicians that were called out for playing politics proposed)

Back