News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.4K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

PWIC has approved a policy to allow Ontario vehicles with accessible permits to load/unload in protected bike lanes. There was no consultation with pedestrian or cycling advocates, nor is there precedent for such a policy in any other major city. Here's why this is a bad idea:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pw/comm/communicationfile-64244.pdf

"The proposed solution will increase tension between cyclists, motorists and pedestrians which we want to avoid." - In other words, whiny people on bikes are going to get upset because someone in a wheelchair needs to see their doctor.

"However, due to the location of the accessibility sticker, there’s no way for a cyclist to know if a car has the right to stop in their lane or not." - Gee, maybe check if it's one of the not-discreet-at-all accessible vans, or see if there's a ramp extended out to the sidewalk and someone in a wheelchair being pushed into or out of the car.

"Minneapolis has produced a sophisticated 'floating' island design" - And that design is only made possible by one-way streets throughout downtown, just like almost every major city in the world has (except Toronto of course, cause apparently we know something that the rest of the planet doesn't). If Sherbourne and Parliament were paired one-way streets, they could both have separated bike lanes and room for things like that "floating island" design.

Last edited:
"The proposed solution will increase tension between cyclists, motorists and pedestrians which we want to avoid." - In other words, whiny people on bikes are going to get upset because someone in a wheelchair needs to see their doctor.

"However, due to the location of the accessibility sticker, there’s no way for a cyclist to know if a car has the right to stop in their lane or not." - Gee, maybe check if it's one of the not-discreet-at-all accessible vans, or see if there's a ramp extended out to the sidewalk and someone in a wheelchair being pushed into or out of the car.

Cycle Toronto was very reasonable in its submission, and Salsa is right, there was no consultation with pedestrians or cyclists. PWIC has not been kind to non-motorists under the Ford and Tory administrations. Some cycletracks, like Sherbourne, are very difficult for cyclists to get in and out of if a car is blocking the way.

One problem is that there are over 700,000 disabled parking permits in Ontario, and they're often abused. There's a wealthy doctor who works in my building who has a permit in the dash of his Porsche, and I've seen him dash across University Avenue. He has the permit simply because he wants to park downtown for free. So this change to the bylaw, while well-intended, is also subject to abuse.

One problem is that there are over 700,000 disabled parking permits in Ontario, and they're often abused. There's a wealthy doctor who works in my building who has a permit in the dash of his Porsche, and I've seen him dash across University Avenue. He has the permit simply because he wants to park downtown for free. So this change to the bylaw, while well-intended, is also subject to abuse.

Parking or standing in the bike lanes isn't allowed by this change, and neither is picking up or dropping off fully-abled passengers. All it means is that a disabled person using a cab or private car can get picked up and dropped off like they would if they used Wheel-Trans.

In other words, whiny people on bikes are going to get upset because someone in a wheelchair needs to see their doctor.
OK...so then offer the traffic lane to do the unloading instead. Who's whining now?
Parking or standing in the bike lanes isn't allowed by this change
Really? Did you even read it?

OK...so then offer the traffic lane to do the unloading instead. Who's whining now?

The problem with this is the wheelchair ramps. It has to be extended to the sidewalk...not the road. This is the focus of the policy.

The other submissions which are very good use up a lot of roadway. And would work well in the burbs where there is room but not downtown Toronto.

All it means is that a disabled person using a cab or private car can get picked up and dropped off like they would if they used Wheel-Trans.

The problem with this is the wheelchair ramps. It has to be extended to the sidewalk...not the road. This is the focus of the policy.
Muller: Yours is a good point, and I will certainly pursue that line of reason, as there really isn't a clear answer other than what Cycle Toronto propose, as done in other cities. This isn't about denying the disabled fair access, in fact it blocks disabled cyclists too, it's just bad implementation in complete disregard to cyclists and discriminating against cyclists but not motorists.

But note the inconsistency of what Amnesia claims and what you realize as per "ramps". Amnesia claims "private cars and cabs". Amnesia is amnesic, or just refuses to read.

I'm going to research a little deeper as to what the City has put into print and post it here, just so we know what the argument in *factual terms* can revolve around. There's a bitter irony in being the Sherbourne lanes (a bit of a misnomer, as they are a level above lanes), as for all the limitations for an aggressive cyclist like myself, they represent one of the safer on-road routes for cyclists in Toronto, for the very reason that they are vertically separated. Far from perfect, but a lot better than painted white lines with the "I dare you to cross that" written on them in invisible paint.

More on this when I can quote the actual text...

The trouble with that is the pile-on I might get if I do shame this guy, given it's an accessibility issue.
Yeah...and someone with a such a sense of entitlement like many driving Porsches (they're hardly the choice of trailer park people) is likely to frame it that way, justified in reason or not.

From the Star, unedited since I'm still digesting it and looking for the City's policy stance in print:
By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Mon., Nov. 21, 2016

The city wants to make it legal for drivers with accessible parking permits to stop in separated bike lanes, as long as they’re “loading or unloading” a person with a disability.

The recommendation is in a report going before the public works committee Monday. The document notes that according to city bylaws, only Wheel-Trans vehicles are currently allowed to stop in physically separated bike lanes. “This is an impediment to those with accessible permits who require barrier-free mobility from a private vehicle,” it says.

It’s already legal for drivers to stop in painted bike lanes so long as they’re “actively engaged” in picking up or dropping off someone with a disability, but the rule doesn’t apply to physically separated lanes (also called cycle tracks). Stopping illegally in a bike lane or cycle track carries a fine of $150.

Ian Parker, a senior adviser for the Centre for Independent Living in Toronto, said he supports the proposed bylaw change.

“I think that there would be many circumstances where a passenger with a disability might not be able to get to the door of where they’re going if they can’t be let off nearby,” said Parker, who is both a wheelchair user and a driver.

Parker drives a van outfitted with an accessibility ramp that deploys onto the sidewalk. He said that as the city has installed more bike lanes it has become more difficult to find places where he’s able to park.

“I know everybody has a right to be accommodated on the street. We have to work together and work it out,” he said. “For some of us, (driving) is the only way to get around.”

Councillor Mike Layton, a strong proponent of cycling infrastructure, said that “it’s not ideal” to have anything blocking a bike lane, but didn’t say he would oppose the bylaw change.

“The last thing we would want to do by building a bike lane, is to make (the street) unsafe for someone else,” said Layton, who represents Ward 19, Trinity-Spadina, and sits on the city’s disability advisory committee. “Ideally what we’re trying to do is make it safe for all people that are using the roadway to get to their destination safely.”

Layton said the best thing to do would be to design cycle tracks that would allow passengers with disabilities to disembark from cars without encroaching on the cycle track.

For a driver to be eligible for an accessible parking permit, a doctor must certify to the provincial government that the applicant suffers from at least one condition from a provided list. The permits exempt holders from some parking rules. According to the ministry of government and consumer services, there are 120,266 active accessible parking permits in Toronto.

The recommendation to change the bike-lane bylaw comes out of a review of the Sherbourne St. cycle track, which was installed between 2012 and 2015, and was Toronto’s first separated bike lane.

The report says that accessibility considerations were incorporated into the cycle track’s original design. Due to a high number of health clinics and seniors’ residences on Sherbourne, there are 1,100 Wheel-Trans stops per month on the street.

The cycle track includes seven lay-bys for loading and unloading, tactile pavers for the visually impaired, and mountable curbs to allow vehicles to drive onto the lanes when necessary. In response to concerns about safety and accessibility, however, transportation staff have tweaked the configuration of the lane by adding bollards at some locations and removing them at others.

According to the report, since the lane was installed, the volume of cyclists on Sherbourne has almost tripled, from about 1,200 to 3,500 a day. Meanwhile, the rate of cyclist collisions on the street fell from 14 crashes per 1,000 riders to only 5 per 1,000 riders.

Transportation staffers say they will incorporate lessons from Sherbourne, as well as the dedicated bike lane on Wellesley St., into new on-street bikeway guidelines that they’re developing. The guidelines are expected to be completed in the fall of 2017, and will outline design standards for cycling infrastructure as the city builds out its bike network under the new 10-year cycling plan council approved in June.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ding-zones-for-those-aiding-the-disabled.html

Last edited:
The trouble with that is the pile-on I might get if I do shame this guy, given it's an accessibility issue.
We had a guy like this parked near our building and many people saw him go in/out regularly. Security videoed a couple of instances and contacted parking enforcement (I think there is a special division that deals with this) who came out, viewed the video, watched the vehicle themselves and then ticketed it. It hasn't parked anywhere in the vicinity since.

I also know someone who puts hand-written notes on the car saying that he is reporting the abuse of a disability permit -- those vehicles don't seem to return either.

Yes, and apparently you didn't. Here's a link to it: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-98101.pdf

"The Acting General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that ... City Council exempt vehicles displaying valid Accessible Parking Permits from stopping prohibitions in designated cycle tracks and bicycle lanes while engaged in loading and unloading persons with disabilities from vehicles.

"Standing" and "stopping" are different. Stopping is when you're only loading/unloading people. Standing is when you're loading/unloading something aside from people, or stopping for any other non-emergency reason. That's why there are both "no stopping" and "no standing" signs, often beside each other. In a "no stopping" zone, you can't stop for any reason except an emergency. In a "no standing" zone, you can stop to let someone get out but you can't open up the trunk for them to unload other stuff.

Scanning through the City's docs, for now, at least, these paragraphs are key:
[...]
Wheel-Trans operations staff have also requested that Transportation Services review
opportunities to convert lay-bys into designated accessible loading zones. Further
consultation would be required to accommodate designated accessible loading zones
given that due to the proximity of residences and commercial facilities, some lay-bys are
also extensively used for residential and business pick-up and drop-off activities.
[...]
Wellesley Street
prior to completion of the road reconstruction project, the need for an accessible loading
zone in front of 24 Wellesley Street West was identified by the residents and Wheel-Trans
operations staff. On this section of Wellesley Street, the separation for the street
level cycle track is provided with a barrier curb which prevents vehicles from entering
into the cycle track. This barrier also does not allow Wheel-Trans vehicles to access
the curb. After site visits and consultation with the residents at 24 Wellesley Street W,
the cycle track design was modified to remove a section of the barrier curb and provide
a designated accessible loading zone in the cycle track next to the sidewalk. A painted
buffered area was provided to maintain a degree of separation for cyclists in the cycle
track while also providing cyclists with an area to pass if a Wheel-Trans vehicle is
stopped in the loading zone. The $450 fine for improper use of an accessible loading
zone should help deter vehicles from stopping in this section of the cycle track.
[...]
In summer 2016, Cycling Infrastructure and Programs staff received two site
specific concerns from cyclists related to the Sherbourne Street cycle track, and specifically
the lay-by area beside the northbound cycle track at the intersection of Sherbourne and
Isabella Street. Staff inspected the area and determined that some improvements were
warranted.
Recommended design solutions included:

Installing flexi posts and curb at the beginning of the lay-by to provide a gap between
the lay-by and the adjacent road surface, so that the area is clearly marked for cyclists
[...]
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-98101.pdf

In a cursory read-through, it seems to me that the answers are already extant for how the City should proceed on this. They're going to have to bite the bullet and do this right.

Last edited:
Yes, and apparently you didn't. Here's a link to it: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-98101.pdf

"The Acting General Manager, Transportation Services recommends that ... City Council exempt vehicles displaying valid Accessible Parking Permits from stopping prohibitions in designated cycle tracks and bicycle lanes while engaged in loading and unloading persons with disabilities from vehicles.

"Standing" and "stopping" are different. Stopping is when you're only loading/unloading people. Standing is when you're loading/unloading something aside from people, or stopping for any other non-emergency reason. That's why there are both "no stopping" and "no standing" signs, often beside each other. In a "no stopping" zone, you can't stop for any reason except an emergency. In a "no standing" zone, you can stop to let someone get out but you can't open up the trunk for them to unload other stuff.
You become tedious. Try "loading and unloading" then.

In other news, Richmond Street is starting to open up after months of construction and a reduction to one lane (many cyclists took to the sidewalk on the stretch around Church/Yonge). The cycle lanes have been repainted, the repaving seems to be complete, and the turn radius has been reduced on all 4 corners of Yonge/Richmond. I've read that the construction should be totally finished by the end of the month.

Back