News   May 14, 2024
 505     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 932     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 487     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Two bits of news from the morning commute.

First off, Sherbourne is a mess southbound between Dundas and Queen. No, not because the neighbourhood is sketchy, but because the bike lane itself is ripped up in what appears to be a sewer or water pipe issue. From the looks of it the lane is going to be in pieces for a while.

Secondly, has anyone noticed the new sidewalk adjacent to the Richmond bike lane? There seems to be a row of crushed gravel between the curb and the sidewalk. Is this a permeable dog-pee surface? Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_082733.jpg
    IMG_20161207_082733.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 252
Secondly, has anyone noticed the new sidewalk adjacent to the Richmond bike lane? There seems to be a row of crushed gravel between the curb and the sidewalk. Is this a permeable dog-pee surface? Photo attached.

Usually this space is used for coloured pavers as per city standard. They are probably waiting for a load of bricks to arrive so they can begin to install them, or they just haven't gotten around to that section yet.

Edit: I took this photo of Richmond this afternoon, showing the pavers in place:
upload_2016-12-8_1-30-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-8_1-30-20.png
    upload_2016-12-8_1-30-20.png
    302.6 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 5.52.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 5.52.00 PM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 251
I rode into work today for the first time in a week. I was surprised and disappointed at how few cyclists there were - I was on my own, or with 1 other cyclist for the route on Sherbourne and Richmond. It could be that people are staying off the bikes after the flash freeze - sidewalks are very icy.

The lanes were cleared of snow that fell over the weekend, however since then vehicles crossing the path at laneways and corners have "closed off" parts of the lane with snow.

Also, I had forgotten how much less efficient my bike is in the cold. I guess the grease/oil has more friction or something, the crank felt like I was pumping thick goopy molasses!

I wonder how the lifecycle analysis for that will work out, given our winters, salt damage, etc.

AoD

The only comparable here that I know of is systems used for parking ramps; some exposed, some protected (roof).

From what I know, those systems have good life spans, they embedded into the concrete, decently below the surface.

How that would compare with a bike lane that may have a different top coat (asphalt) as well as heavier salt exposure, not sure.

I've long advocated for heating the sidewalk areas at bus stops, and curb cuts at traffic lights. I believe this is much more cost-efficient and safe
than having these areas manually cleared, or not cleared at all.

Its not practical for every inch of sidewalk or bike lane; but selective use should work (in theory).

On the subject of bike lanes, I also think either a set of plows, or mini-melters than fit into a protected bike lane would be a good investment.

The only comparable here that I know of is systems used for parking ramps; some exposed, some protected (roof).
From what I know, those systems have good life spans, they embedded into the concrete, decently below the surface.
How that would compare with a bike lane that may have a different top coat (asphalt) as well as heavier salt exposure, not sure.
I've long advocated for heating the sidewalk areas at bus stops, and curb cuts at traffic lights. I believe this is much more cost-efficient and safe
Its not practical for every inch of sidewalk or bike lane; but selective use should work (in theory).
On the subject of bike lanes, I also think either a set of plows, or mini-melters than fit into a protected bike lane would be a good investment.

Someone will really have their work cut out for the efficacy of this one - snow removal through heating is probably one of the least efficient use of energy out there (and the capital costs will be high) - it will be interesting to see if it works out in balance.

AoD

I rode into work today for the first time in a week. I was surprised and disappointed at how few cyclists there were - I was on my own, or with 1 other cyclist for the route on Sherbourne and Richmond. It could be that people are staying off the bikes after the flash freeze - sidewalks are very icy.

The lanes were cleared of snow that fell over the weekend, however since then vehicles crossing the path at laneways and corners have "closed off" parts of the lane with snow.

Also, I had forgotten how much less efficient my bike is in the cold. I guess the grease/oil has more friction or something, the crank felt like I was pumping thick goopy molasses!
I can't ride my bike in this kind of weather personally. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of gloves I use, within a minute my hands are frozen.

And it isn't the temperatue that is the problem, it is the wind. Which presumably the heated cycling lanes wouldn't help with.

GO Transit uses this on many of its platforms now. It saves a lot of salt.

I can't ride my bike in this kind of weather personally. Doesn't seem to matter what kind of gloves I use, within a minute my hands are frozen.

And it isn't the temperatue that is the problem, it is the wind. Which presumably the heated cycling lanes wouldn't help with.

I use ski gloves. They work well. If I was hardcore (which I most assuredly am not), I would add these "lobster claws" or "bar mits" that most European scooter users have: http://barmitts.com/products.php?page=mtb

You should consider using pogies (ex. "Bar Mitts" brand). Neoprene pockets on the handlebars that enclose your brakes/shifters and hands. You can wear lighter gloves than you otherwise would, retain dexterity to operate the controls, and you stay warm.

It's also still easy to pull your hand out to signal.

It's hell on a machine, whether it's a thousand dollar plus one or a junker. Part of being a sensible cyclist is knowing when to hang-it-up. You can use your winter skates all year too, doesn't mean it will be effective or fun.

I tried cycling all winter one year when living down the docks and there was no bus service. The machine was toast come Spring. The salt and grit migrates into everything. People who claim you can 'winterize a bike' live in a dream. You can slow it down, you can't stop it.

Some do it. They're crazy. It's dangerous, no fun, and it's not that expensive to hop on transit and pretend to be zombie like the rest of them. All it takes is one bad slip on ice, and either you or the machine is damaged from the fall in a way that will never be fully fixed, or even worse, you get hit as a result of it.

Believe me, cycling is an addiction, it even displays a week or so of 'withdrawals' end of season, albeit this year was incredible weather, and managed to ramp it down slowly, but if you treasure your machine, and your body, take up some other kind of activity. I'm off to walk the Big Un-Neutered Black Lab again, he pulls (keeps my muscles taut) and he loves to run and play in the parks. Is is the same as cycling? Not even close, but it's safe and wholesome, people (babes especially) love him, we wind up going places we've never been before, and he gives me reason to ramble. You can't just do nothing. But cycling is out. Leave it to the hard core who have no respect for their machines or the cause.

Tum, te dum de dum, only four months to go now until it warms up enough to cycle again....I've got some great trips planned this coming Summer, will be looking for persons to go in on renting a van to get out there, and being able to use GO back in from final destination.

Stay fit! And stay in one piece!

Last edited:

Back