News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Could Trump-type politics succeed in Canada?

I can't see any Canadian conservative running an economic populist campaign against NAFTA or calling for closer ties with Putin.
Could you have foreseen a Republican presidential candidate (and eventual winner) warming up to a Russian dictator and campaigning on protectionist trade measures before Trump? Our inability to see it doesn't mean that it can't happen. And any future populist successes, in the US, Canada or Europe, will take forms different from Trump's that are unimaginable to us now. Won't follow an identical path.

Last edited:
Could you have foreseen a Republican presidential candidate (and eventual winner) warming up to a Russian dictator and campaigning on protectionist trade measures before Trump?

Yes. There is a "paleo-conservative" element in the US that respects Putin (e.g. Pat Buchanan). Buchanan was "Trump before Trump" in many ways, except he had a more explicitly religious right appeal.

http://buchanan.org/blog/putin-one-us-6071

The far-right in Europe is pro-Putin as well.

But that phenomenon doesn't exist in Canada - I think largely though not entirely due to the large Ukrainian diaspora here.

As for free trade, I haven't seen right-wing chauvinist nationalists (to the extent they exist here) calling for pulling out of NAFTA.

The far-right in Europe is pro-Putin as well.
But that phenomenon doesn't exist in Canada - I think largely though not entirely due to the large Ukrainian diaspora here.
As for free trade, I haven't seen right-wing chauvinist nationalists (to the extent they exist here) calling for pulling out of NAFTA.

Not sure about the influence of the Ukrainian diaspora - but important to keep in mind that Harper is far more vocal about Putin than pretty much almost anyone in the Western Bloc. That would be a difficult hill for the Conservatives to climb down from - like for all the talk about Arctic Sovereignty, Ethical Oil and all that - you are going to pivot to what?

AoD

I don't think Leitch understands Trump's definition of elite. He is talking about the political elite which she is part of whether she likes it or not.

Nice, I think this is what's known as blaming the victim. I mean, like overturned headstones at Jewish cemeteries are often self-inflicted right? As a society, we have a responsibility to take these incidences seriously and give them the investigation they deserve - not default into conspiracy theories and dismiss them.

AoD
No one is blaming anyone. Yes, these incidents should be investigated, but we also shouldn't accept what every story says, out of hand. I think that is what he is saying. When it has be shown that some of these incidents are fake, naturally, people do and should question other such stories.

No one is blaming anyone. Yes, these incidents should be investigated, but we also shouldn't accept what every story says, out of hand. I think that is what he is saying. When it has be shown that some of these incidents are fake, naturally, people do and should question other such stories.

It's just weird to automatically go into sleuth mode on stuff like this. But I guess some people can't bear to believe that such hatred actually exists.

It's just weird to automatically go into sleuth mode on stuff like this. But I guess some people can't bear to believe that such hatred actually exists.
Nice straw man. I understand that such hatred exists and I acknowledged all sorts of evil earlier in this thread. What I am saying is that we shouldn't believe everything we read/hear, but we shouldn't dismiss these observations either. We should do more research and see whether things hold up. The false reports that have been exposed lend all the more credence to the notion that not everything is how it seems. I'm not denying that most of these incidents that are being reported are true, however. Never questioning information leaves one susceptible to manipulation.

Nice straw man. I understand that such hatred exists and I acknowledged all sorts of evil earlier in this thread. What I am saying is that we shouldn't believe everything we read/hear, but we shouldn't dismiss these observations either. We should do more research and see whether things hold up. The false reports that have been exposed lend all the more credence to the notion that not everything is how it seems. I'm not denying that most of these incidents that are being reported are true, however. Never questioning information leaves one susceptible to manipulation.

So what you're saying is the uptick in the reported hate crimes and just all around bigotry could likely be "fake"? I mean, there's a small chance of that, but I mean, how do you even think like that? More often than not an individual that spray paints a swastika is trying to spread hate. Rarely will someone take the time out to do that just to troll or shake things up.

I just don't quite get your stance here. Of course some of the stuff could be fake, but it's typically not. Why worry about the 1% when we're certain of the 99%?

So what you're saying is the uptick in the reported hate crimes and just all around bigotry could likely be "fake"? I mean, there's a small chance of that, but I mean, how do you even think like that? More often than not an individual that spray paints a swastika is trying to spread hate. Rarely will someone take the time out to do that just to troll or shake things up.

I just don't quite get your stance here. Of course some of the stuff could be fake, but it's typically not. Why worry about the 1% when we're certain of the 99%?
No. To clarify: I wasn't referring to the swastikas and other such incidents. There is enough evidence to validate these things. I meant, we shouldn't just accept every personal anecdote as truth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/racist-anti-black-graffiti-parkdale-united-church-1.3855295

The front doors of Parkdale United Church, at the corner of Gladstone and Parkdale avenues, were spray-painted with two Swastikas and the word "n--gers," as well as the numbers 14 and 88. The number 14 refers to a white supremacist slogan, while 88 stands for "Heil Hitler."

The front doors of the Ottawa Muslim Association on Northwestern Avenue were spray-painted with the words "F--k Allah," "Go home, "666," and a swastika.

View attachment 92153View attachment 92154

This is fake.

Back