News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 284     0 

Could Trump-type politics succeed in Canada?

or this from Vancouver

Racist flyers turn up in Richmond mailboxes
“My daughter said the guy was black, wearing a hoody. She said he was about 24 to 26.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.
Any racist, homophobic, etc. graffiti, comment in newspaper, etc. is reported as being representative of Trump.
Thus, any nut on the left can do the above mentioned graffiti and have Trump blamed.
Essentially, the media is encouraging this to happen by not viewing things critically.

Some people:

tumblr_o4pjzeAeMN1sasm8ro1_400.gif

Is this the kind of world we want for our daughters (or sons for that matter)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...gislature-to-stand-against-misogyny-1.3863097

Calgary MLA Sandra Jansen drew a standing ovation Tuesday after she rose in the legislature and gave an impassioned speech denouncing the hateful and misogynistic comments she has faced since crossing the floor to join the NDP last week. The first words out of the former Tory MLA's mouth likely raised eyebrows when she said: "What a traitorous bitch!"

The Calgary-North West MLA, first elected in 2012, has faced abuse and threats since she crossed the floor to join the government last week, and has since been assigned a temporary protection unit to accompany her, a spokesman for the premier's office told CBC News.

In her statement, Jansen went on to read a litany of demeaning and despicable comments she has faced on Twitter and Facebook.
  • "You are both a disgrace to Alberta."
  • "Lying bitches."
  • "Now you have two blond bimbos in a party that is clueless."
  • "Another useless tit goes NDP."
  • "Dead meat."
  • "Sandra should stay in the kitchen, where she belongs."
  • "Fly with the crows and get shot."
  • "Dumb broad. A good place for her to be is with the rest of the queers."
Her point made and the house apparently shocked into silence, Jansen then made a plea to her colleagues in all parties to stand up against hate speech levelled at women in politics.

This is pathetic...and I'm speaking on the comments. But I believe it.

Is this the kind of world we want for our daughters (or sons for that matter)?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...gislature-to-stand-against-misogyny-1.3863097

Calgary MLA Sandra Jansen drew a standing ovation Tuesday after she rose in the legislature and gave an impassioned speech denouncing the hateful and misogynistic comments she has faced since crossing the floor to join the NDP last week. The first words out of the former Tory MLA's mouth likely raised eyebrows when she said: "What a traitorous bitch!"

The Calgary-North West MLA, first elected in 2012, has faced abuse and threats since she crossed the floor to join the government last week, and has since been assigned a temporary protection unit to accompany her, a spokesman for the premier's office told CBC News.

In her statement, Jansen went on to read a litany of demeaning and despicable comments she has faced on Twitter and Facebook.
  • "You are both a disgrace to Alberta."
  • "Lying bitches."
  • "Now you have two blond bimbos in a party that is clueless."
  • "Another useless tit goes NDP."
  • "Dead meat."
  • "Sandra should stay in the kitchen, where she belongs."
  • "Fly with the crows and get shot."
  • "Dumb broad. A good place for her to be is with the rest of the queers."
Her point made and the house apparently shocked into silence, Jansen then made a plea to her colleagues in all parties to stand up against hate speech levelled at women in politics.

Its worth saying that while a good chunk of what she read off had a misogynistic bent, a great deal more was just offensive drivel period, without gender specificity.

That observation takes nothing away from any unique issues faced by women in politics (or anywhere else); rather I make it point out that we all know online comments on the websites of newspapers
or on many political sites have, for sometime featured a gross excess of mean-spirited, offensive and obnoxious posts, aimed at anyone a given poster deems 'the enemy'.

I find that awful not only for what it is; but the effect of causing many sites to drop public comments, while others have restricted anonymity.

That is, sadly, it seems, required. I do think that can have a negative effect in terms of people feeling free to speak (constructively).

That so many, feel so free, not merely to be critical (which can be fair); but rather hateful, and even criminal in their speech is stunning (to me), or at least it used to be.

I'm not entirely sure how we tackle that as a society. Its not as simple as tackling the various 'isms'.

Though there is often a relationship between the willingness to be vile in a general sense, and desire to direct it at one or more groups.

Sadly, we still have awhile to go as a society.

No Trump would never succeed at the federal level in Canada. Canadians are a tolerant, open-minded people and do not show nearly as much bigotry as is seen in most white Americans.

No Trump would never succeed at the federal level in Canada. Canadians are a tolerant, open-minded people and do not show nearly as much bigotry as is seen in most white Americans.

Not so sure about that. The US is probably more overt but I see that stuff here.

Back