News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 304     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 667     1 

Could Trump-type politics succeed in Canada?

No Trump would never succeed at the federal level in Canada. Canadians are a tolerant, open-minded people and do not show nearly as much bigotry as is seen in most white Americans.
I would be more cautious. Seeing the absolute worst of Canadians in social media commentary, I'm disappointed we share the country with that many people with such hateful views. Not to mention I know a few of them personally.

I would be more cautious. Seeing the absolute worst of Canadians in social media commentary, I'm disappointed we share the country with that many people with such hateful views. Not to mention I know a few of them personally.

Yep.

These are just a small minority. I have faith that Canadians would never go as low as elect a Donald Trump. Torontonians elected Rob Ford but although a pig, he never went close to anything such as saying that Muslims should be banned.

These are just a small minority. I have faith that Canadians would never go as low as elect a Donald Trump. Torontonians elected Rob Ford but although a pig, he never went close to anything such as saying that Muslims should be banned.
Americans thought they were to good For trump to but look what they got. My social media page is bombarded by anti Trudeau comments comparing him to Obama and his ""failures". A lot of make Canada great again and romanticising harper comments.

Americans thought they were to good For trump to but look what they got. My social media page is bombarded by anti Trudeau comments comparing him to Obama and his ""failures". A lot of make Canada great again and romanticising harper comments.
As much as I despised Harper for tarnishing Canada for 10 years, I wouldn't say he's as bad as Trump. Yes I suspect he privately is a homophobe, racist and Islamophobe but he never went close to Trump's rhetoric. I've seen the anti-Trudeau comments on Facebook and Twitter and I honestly think they should do something about them. I can't stand people spreading lies about one of the most progressive PMs in the world if they take a look at what other nations have as their government.

I dont believe in censorship so I cannot endorse taking down memes of trudeau. Just because Harper is no where near close to Trump doesnt mean that these people wouldnt vote for someone closer to trump. I honestly believe a huge reason why people hate Wynne is simply because she is a women in power who is also a lesbian. I am pretty sure that sounds not to far off from Trump supporters.

Don't underestimate the right combination of ignorance, fear, and hate.

What do you guys make of this argument, as expressed in this article, that the relative resistance to the right-wing populism wave sweeping the rest of the western world, in Canada, has less to do with any exceptional streak of tolerance or open-mindedness in our national character, but rather is from the relative closed-off nature of party politics to populism from the electorate (eg. relatively few Canadian voters sign up to hold membership in a party, no analogy to the open primaries etc.).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-hasnt-come-to-canada/?utm_term=.37a83f33d3e0

He has obviously not heard of the Reform Party. To govern in Canada you need to occupy the centre- and the populists need to either grow up into acknowledging that reality (and by extension move away from protest-y roots - Harper did) or stay fringe.

AoD

Last edited:
I dont think so as for populism to succeed you need a failing society and Canada is not like that.

If you want to say that he won because of his "celebrity" - you must have conveniently forgotten that his party was 3rd place at the time of the election call.

Trump wasn't at the top of the polls when he launched either.

@BurlOak is right. Trudeau is our populist. Thankfully though, Canadians don't have a preference for angry incompetent billionaire "outsiders". Living in the US at the moment, I just cannot get beyond how gullible a lot of the Republicans I know are. They really believed this crooked billionaire would be some crusading outsider reformist. Of course, silence now that he's flopping miserably.

Maybe I am wrong, but the CPC is going in a Trumpian direction. They are abandoning all moderate views and going for hard right populism.

Back