News   Jul 17, 2024
 53     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 882     2 

City Workers Strike 2009

Well, if there's only one thing we can learn from unions it's that there's strength in solidarity. I would love to see us roll up our sleeves and tackle this garbage problem as private citizens - show those unions that they really are worse than useless and we don't have to pander to their whims.

although this would be the ideal case i doubt enough people will participate. in this case, however, i hope i'm proven wrong.

Yay for Etobicoke and contracting out (and something for the other municipalities to think about next time).

At least Miller looked serious about not giving in on CBC Newsworld this morning. We'll see if it lasts.

Peel (who contracts its waste collection to WM) had a two week strike by WM employees in 2006. The benefit, though, the community waste centres are owned and operated by Peel Region, not by WM, and were not blocked by pickets.

No, that was a crown corporation, like VIA or Toronto Hydro. Meaning they are basically private companies that are owned by the government.

They aren't run at all like private companies.

I'd think the myth that private companies are paragons of efficiency and competence was shot down forever in the fall of 2008 when the economy went sour. There's no truth to it, and wishing to 'privatize' the TTC is either a completely insane idea or otherwise comes from someone who's confusing 'de-unionization' with 'privatization.'

That said, this strike sucks. Big cities have so little leverage when it comes to public sector unions because they can't realistically let the strike go on for very long. It's a no-win situation.

Peel (who contracts its waste collection to WM) had a two week strike by WM employees in 2006. The benefit, though, the community waste centres are owned and operated by Peel Region, not by WM, and were not blocked by pickets.

It definitely a lot easier to play hardball when the union can't hold such things hostage. Contracting out individual services also gives some flexibility, and avoids situations where locals representing a variety of services are joined at the hip during collective bargaining as it is in the case of CUPE, thus giving them greater power.

The problem with this one is if it comes down to arbitration and back to work legislation the union stands a good change of getting what they want anyway, so the waiting game benefits them more than the city.

Last edited:
They aren't run at all like private companies.
Unless your point is that the government and crown corporations are run by unions, then I can't see how this at all relates to the subject of the thread that is the strike by unionized government employees - so I suggest that you guys start a new thread on this ... whatever the heck it is.

Screw it contract it out...
Tell the Union get back to work or they will contract out.
Sure they will be mad, but if you show your about to sign a contract, they will piss their pants.
We need real leaders. People are hurting and they want benefits like no one in the workplace has. Unions are useless.

This strike is an inconvenience, but I'm already tired of the childish, whining tone of the people posting comments after news articles and being interviewed on TV. People need to act like adults: take your garbage home with you, don't litter, don't dump it in parks. In short, we need to deal with it. Blaming someone else (Miller, the evil Unions, martian invaders) is not an excuse to act like a selfish jackass.

We're only 18 hours in and most of the city seems to be responding like a bunch of 2-year-olds who don't want to eat their veggies. I'd hate to see what would happen in a real crisis. Hopefully this is just a vocal minority and the silent majority will do the right thing.

We do not need to suck it up as this should not happen. Workers cannot hold a city hostage like this, its wrong.

Public sector unions are a poison to our society and have been one of the main forces dragging this city down and will continue to drag it down further and further.

Last edited:
The city should contract garbage collection out, along with every other service including the TTC.

Interesting coincidence that now that the reserve account for these unpaid wages has been run dry that the city wants to end the practice.

Does anyone know how much contract drivers at Veolia and Connex make? The TTC certainly could use more outsourcing. They run their own Brinks trucks for christ's sake.

The city should contract garbage collection out, ...

I was watching City-tv news last night and they did a report about how Etobicoke still gets garbage collection because those services were contracted out before almalgamation.

The private sector employee is paid slightly under $18/hour vs. $25/hour for public service ... that's a premium of 35-40%; and we haven't even talked about the number of sick days city employees get which are also bankable.

Help me out here: I remember hearing recently about a service that the city DID contract out for several years but then gave back to the union for some reason. Am I crazy or did this actually happen? Anyone know what service it was?

^ Garbage pick-up in the old City of York. It was "brought in" about a year or so ago, a decision I'm sure area residents are happy with right about now...

Does anyone know how much contract drivers at Veolia and Connex make? The TTC certainly could use more outsourcing. They run their own Brinks trucks for christ's sake.
Ah yes, I think they were actually called the Treasury Department, and were (and may still be) the only TTC employees authorized to carry sidearms.

Back