News   Jul 17, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 852     2 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 649     0 

City Workers Strike 2009

It's the restaurants, malls and other public places with piled up garbage. When garbage piles up, rats, flies and other things show up creating a stinky city. Imagine, no one picking up garbage in china town for a month.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. Hmm, I'm not far from Little India ... that's going to get real bad, real fast.

On the other hand, it may make the thing a bit more authentic!

The city just planted hundreds of trees on Lakeshore between Leslie and Woodbine. I'm a little worried about their demise without adequate rain. (The workers have been watering them all individually for the past week or so.)

If individuals start to take over the garden care, let's hope the Toronto CUPE members are a little more mature than Windsor's. One woman down there was picking up garbage in a park and a CUPE member passing by went up to her, grabbed the bag, and started throwing garbage all over.

CUPE is all about striking and asking for a lot at a time when others are struggling.

York University strike is a good example. They're just irritating.

ARGH.

I think unions are irrelevant these days.

The city just planted hundreds of trees on Lakeshore between Leslie and Woodbine. I'm a little worried about their demise without adequate rain. (The workers have been watering them all individually for the past week or so.)
Get your hose out. I've noticed that when the city plants trees in the boulevard in industrial areas, that the buildings quickly take over the maintenance of the trees (which is nothing compared to the existing landscaping contracts). Poor timing - there really hasn't been much need for water so far this spring. I had a new tree put in in mid-May, and I don't think I've needed to water it since the beginning of June. But this week could be different.

One woman down there was picking up garbage in a park and a CUPE member passing by went up to her, grabbed the bag, and started throwing garbage all over.
Now that's just ... well it's criminal. It's assault. Hopefully someone called the police, and the guy is charged, and loses his job. I don't think the union will back someone who has criminal assault charges very far.

If individuals start to take over the garden care, let's hope the Toronto CUPE members are a little more mature than Windsor's. One woman down there was picking up garbage in a park and a CUPE member passing by went up to her, grabbed the bag, and started throwing garbage all over.

Can you source that? I have a tough time believing CUPE goons could be so, ugh, criminal.

Anyways, why doesn't the City just contract out garbage services? I don't see why we even bother dealing with this.

While I'm unhappy with the strike as everyone else is, I do find it funny, particularly after reading TheStar & CBC message boards, that critics of those pesky, interfering, big-government social programs and services are the same people ripping the city for the perceived disruption that these closed services are having on their lives.

Perhaps we only cherish these services once they become inaccessible?

Last edited:
Wow, looking at all the comments people left on various websites, I am frustrated how they are all blaming Miller for the strike. Seriously, first they're unhappy that he agreed with unions, now they're unhappy that he's standing up to unions. Next they'll blame him for the weather. Give the guy a break. He loses either way. I'm starting to really doubt his chances next year for re-election.

Back on topic:
18 sick-days that can be banked afterwards :eek: . I should really look for a job with the city =P.
On a side note, it was interesting to find that most of the union members didn't get to vote. The polling stations were in Vaughan (WTF??) and Scarborough, the president was obviously trying to bend the results.

On a side note, it was interesting to find that most of the union members didn't get to vote. The polling stations were in Vaughan (WTF??) and Scarborough, the president was obviously trying to bend the results.

Yeah they like bending it like that. When CUPE releases numbers on voting, they say stuff like "73% voted YES for the strike"...when it really means...73% of the people that were there - and probably only 10 people showed up, not the entire registered union members.

Can you source that? I have a tough time believing CUPE goons could be so, ugh, criminal.

I'm not sure if this is the same incident, but there's a video of a CUPE member (a woman) dumping garbage in front of a girl and her dad: Youtube Link

Last edited:
Wow, looking at all the comments people left on various websites, I am frustrated how they are all blaming Miller for the strike. Seriously, first they're unhappy that he agreed with unions, now they're unhappy that he's standing up to unions. Next they'll blame him for the weather. Give the guy a break. He loses eith,er way. I'm starting to really doubt his chances next year for re-election.

Exactly. The longer this strike goes on, the more Miller will be blamed for weak leadership. The moment the strike ends, the more Miller will be blamed for caving into the unions. Its a no win situation for the mayor.

I'm sure the striking workers won't like it, but I'm glad to see the city going around and sealing up the public trash cans. Bring your garbage home with you for the next little while.

DSCN4622.jpg

Nature called and my dog decided to take a dump on Wellington Street and there was nowhere to put it when I picked it up in a bag. The plan when these strikes happen is to carry it home and dispose of it at my building. Grrrr!

So yes, those plastic wraps are good but they don't last. Give it two days and most will be gone. It's happening already.

I'm not sure if this is the same incident, but there's a video of a CUPE member (a woman) dumping garbage in front of a girl and her dad: Youtube Link

what an absolutely horrible person.

Back