News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 741     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

An appropriate question to ask on New Year's Eve: Do you think CityTV will move its New Year's Eve bash from its traditional location at City Hall to Dundas Square after it moves into the Torch?

For those who think Dundas Square is the Times Square of Toronto, this might be the last piece of the puzzle.
Why would it be moved to another square, other than that's how New York does it? Nathan Philips Square is bigger, and its place as the main civic meeting place in front of City Hall is somewhat unique. It's the logical place for major civic celebrations, including New Years Eve.

Why would it be moved to another square, other than that's how New York does it? Nathan Philips Square is bigger, and its place as the main civic meeting place in front of City Hall is somewhat unique. It's the logical place for major civic celebrations, including New Years Eve.

I agree. I watched the Citytv New Year's Bash, and there were a LOT of people in NPS. Even in -14 degree weather!! That many people wouldn't even fit in Y-D Square

If you take into consideration Yonge and Dundas streets, Dundas Sq (the street) and the space in front of the Eaton Centre, you get a very large area if the streets are closed to traffic.

What I think is more likely is that we'll see a show with double locations: Performances going on at both venues with broadcasting switching between them. Viewers at both locations would watch live performances and the video feed from the other location on big screens. I think it could work and give CityTV a whole new life with this expanded tradition and enforce its position as "Toronto's TV channel".

Regardless of what happens, I'm sure this new building will bring a new purpose to the square and ensure that it is programmed regularly.

If you take into consideration Yonge and Dundas streets, Dundas Sq (the street) and the space in front of the Eaton Centre, you get a very large area if the streets are closed to traffic.

What I think is more likely is that we'll see a show with double locations: Performances going on at both venues with broadcasting switching between them. Viewers at both locations would watch live performances and the video feed from the other location on big screens. I think it could work and give CityTV a whole new life with this expanded tradition and enforce its position as "Toronto's TV channel".

Regardless of what happens, I'm sure this new building will bring a new purpose to the square and ensure that it is programmed regularly.

And if the screens at TLS, Torch, Hard Rock Cafe and Eaton Centre are all used, people will also be able to see whats going on while standing south on Yonge, West on Dundas, North on yonge and East on Dundas. They can always set up multiple stages kind of like what is done at the Much Music Awards and just switch from stage to stage. Launch the fireworks from on top of the Eaton Centre that way both the NPS and Dundas Square crowd can see them

I'm not for or against NPS or YDS being the site of the New Year's countdown, but what I think is that one of the two locations will dominate as the location to celebrate New Year's (and the one that will show up on the news), if not the only location.

I'd like to see 40000 people (the crowd this year at NPS) at either NPS or YDS, not 20000 at NPS and the rest in YDS.

^40,000 people showed up to NPS because they know that they can fit. I live 20 minutes walk away from NPS and it wouldn't be the first time that me and my friends show up and leave when we realize how packed it is and we won't get anywhere near the stage. I'd rather watch it on TV than on a screen in the cold.

NPS + YDS = 50,000 according to your calculations. I think that this city is big enough to support both sites if they're well programmed.

I'd rather see more people at one place, than scattered in mutiple places. I'd also like to see better entertainment. After 12 last night, they had the cast of Jersey Boys singing showtunes. Lame.

Why close the streets around Dundas Square when you can have the same number of people in Nathan Philips Square without having to close streets?

I suppose you could always have satellite locations for people to gather. But if we're going to do that there's no reason to limit satellites to Dundas Square. We could use the MuchMusic building, the CN Tower, the new square outside the ACC, a park on the waterfront, Barbara Ann Scott Park, etc. I don't think any of those locations, including DS, would attract big crowds because if people are going to go out to the big celebration outdoors they want to be at the centre of it all. Otherwise they'll just stick to house parties and bars.

I don't think any of those locations, including DS, would attract big crowds because if people are going to go out to the big celebration outdoors they want to be at the centre of it all. Otherwise they'll just stick to house parties and bars.

Then why did over a million people show up in 1999 when the party was spread along the waterfront? NPS is too small a venue for an event that can attract way more people. The city is acting like its a small event and its not.

Well I suppose I could always be proven wrong on that point, although in 1999 the waterfront was the centre of the celebration, was it not? All I'm saying is that moving the main celebration from NPS to Dundas makes no sense.

Maybe when Queens Quay is finished it could be moved there. I'd love to have a bigger celebration than we have. Something like Sydney has would be really awesome. I think Sydney gets such a huge celebration due to it being warm there during Jan. 1.
People don't want to be outside in cold conditions struggling to stay warm.

Two Locations....did anyone check out the American Networks

Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve (the "tradditional" tv broadcast in America) eminated from Times Square.....Ryan Seacrest did his interviews/man on the street thing from there and their stage for entertainers was also there.

On another newtwork (NBC?) Carson Daly hosted a similar show. He did his interviews live from Time Square (it was funny 'cause you could hear the ABC acts in the background) but their stage was set up in Rockerfeller Plaza.

I guess they both wanted to be at Times Square because that is where "the ball drops". Toronto, however, does not have anything akin to "the ball" so there is no reason that two networks could not have competing/complimentary parties at different locations.

Perhaps, as someone else suggested, CTV (with their new Muchmusic led entertainment presence) could take over NPS.....Ben Mulrooney has some time on his hands now to host it! CITY/Rogers could use DS and the streets around it....the restaraunts with those 4th floor patios in Toronto Life could do some sponsoring......maybe even use some technology in the Torch itself to create an equivalent to the ball.......it certainly would be a cheaper/easier venture for CITY if they hosted something in such close proximity to their main broadcast location.

Having an opinion concerning something like corruption does not mean that it is a fact. If you checked the quote to which I was responding to you would have noted that it was vacant and without substance. But you opt instead to let your politics get in the way. Be my guest.

As the underlined portion of your statement shows, lack of evidence still remains lack of evidence. Period. You might want to take up your argument with the developer.

It is fair to disagree with another opinion, and demonstrate why you do so, without resorting to personal editorializing on somebody's right to post it or not...

Moreover, I would reiterate that, perceived personal 'agendas' notwithstanding, it is not without grounds or interest to question or speculate on the role of the city in the mess on Dundas, whatever one's personal opinion of the outcome might be.

Back