News   Jul 04, 2024
 776     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 676     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 600     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Well, take note of the voting stats. The South Asian zones went *very* Ford. Contrary to popular misconception, "racist homophobic white trash" Rob Ford did best among the "ethnoburbans" and their like. (Thistletown must have gone 3/4 Ford, right?)

TOTALLY! I find it hilarious that the 'ethnic and very ethnic' vote for Fraud. I'm betting it's because of the right-wing 'family values' bulls__t.

Is that the ACME owner sitting on his empty patio with no customer as he refuses to license it due to "family values?"

I had a burger there a couple of nights ago and will admit it was good and better than Hero's. However, I still think it's a waste of a patio. It would be neat if they opened a little bar right next to it. It would just be a bar with a couple of seats inside and the rest patio. Come winter and rain, however, it would be a problem. Lol.

but but it won't be the 'steps' ! ? !
now the kids in the hall will have to make new skits called 'the patio' ?

It struck me as odd also that there doesn't seem to be any customers on the patio on a nice sunny day - but I notice from the shadow that the picture appears to have been taken mid-morning

I had a burger there a couple of nights ago and will admit it was good and better than Hero's. However, I still think it's a waste of a patio. It would be neat if they opened a little bar right next to it. It would just be a bar with a couple of seats inside and the rest patio. Come winter and rain, however, it would be a problem. Lol.

The burgers are good but I prefer Hero by a slight margin. If only Hero burgers were charbroiled it would be a great burger.
It is a waste of a patio, I can't recall ever seeing it more than half full and there aren't a whole lot of seats but then I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it much anymore. I'm not so sure that Acme Burger will be here next year at this time. If it is indeed Second Cup going in next door the patio will be packed, but the summer is slowly slipping away if they don't get moving on it soon.

The burgers are good but I prefer Hero by a slight margin. If only Hero burgers were charbroiled it would be a great burger.
It is a waste of a patio, I can't recall ever seeing it more than half full and there aren't a whole lot of seats but then I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it much anymore. I'm not so sure that Acme Burger will be here next year at this time. If it is indeed Second Cup going in next door the patio will be packed, but the summer is slowly slipping away if they don't get moving on it soon.

True, coffee and booze keeps people on patios and provides life to an area. Fast food is just that — fast. Once you've finished your combo, usually you're up and out of there. I refuse to believe he's pulling in the numbers to pay for that patio (which has to cost some serious cash).

^ That's what I was thinking too dt. This is a good spot for them and the street, esp. with that nice big patio.

2ndcup.jpg

Where is pic taken if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Riverman. The pic was taken on the west side of Church St. just south of Wellesley. Although there are two seperate businesses now, it used to be Zelda's cafe/bar which occupied the entire lot. Although they did well there, Zelda's objected to a steep rent increase when their lease was up and relocated to Yonge & St. Mary.

Where is pic taken if you don't mind me asking?

This is what it used to look like in the 'good old days'. The first picture almost matches androiduk's facing west, the second picture is facing more north-west.
As you can see, the patio used to be a very fun and vibrant place to sit, enjoy a meal and watch the action pass on by. The food was sort of above average but it was all about the patio in the summer, the atmosphere (inside and out) was great plus the staff and entertainment are already legendary.

zeldas1.jpg

zeldas2.jpg

Photos from Google Earth, http://maps.google.com/

decided to go and try out this place (ACME) while i was dt.
i ordered a 6 oz burger combo (comes with small fries and fountain drink) ... with taxes just over $9.

i was thoroughly disappointed.
it was busy b/c of pride so service was slow but the quality was poor too.

6 oz did not seem to be properly measured ... i feel like i was given the 4oz instead.
the burger was too dry, as was the wheat bun and the fries were also cold.

I'll say it again, this place won't last. I walked the street late tonight and I think it's safe to say that it was the least popular business that I saw. Something is keeping the masses away, not quite sure why.

6 oz did not seem to be properly measured ... i feel like i was given the 4oz instead.

Probably nothing is as advertised. They advertise 20 Ounce soft drink but by the looks of the tiny cups I doubt that they are more than 10 Ounces and they probably don't offer refills like other fast food places.

decided to go and try out this place (ACME) while i was dt.
i ordered a 6 oz burger combo (comes with small fries and fountain drink) ... with taxes just over $9.

i was thoroughly disappointed.
it was busy b/c of pride so service was slow but the quality was poor too.

ok, i bought a pound (16 oz) of lean ground beef and portioned it into ~3 equal amounts to get an idea of 6 oz might look like since i don't have a scale.

my ~5.33 oz patty cooked was SUBSTANTIALLY larger than the 6 oz burger i ate yesterday.
i'm afraid that they may have given us the 4 oz patty to maximize profits during Pride.

this is usually a windfall week for businesses in the area, but it can also make/break one's reputation for a new venture if word gets out that the food and service are poor, and one doesn't get what one pays for.

dt_t_geek might be right ... they may not last pass this winter.

Back