News   Jul 12, 2024
 566     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

The back of the east side of Cawthra Park, facing west near Cawthra Street, click on thumbs for larger view -

Facing south from Monteith Street, including the new barrier within the walls of the old Curling Rink's windows (they used to be black iron) -

The north side of the park from the Church Street side facing east -

The smaller, south end of the park (south of the 519 Community Centre) facing east from Church Street -

It's difficult for a city to develop any sense of history when we re-name our parks and streets to keep things fresh and current. By all means, name a park after Barbara Hall; but a NEW park. Also not a fan of using full names. It's awkward and vaguely suburban. What’s wrong with Hall Park...We didn't call it William Cawthra Park. And the loss of the natural brick on the side of the Community Centre is unfortunate; presumably to be covered by a questionable mural....OK, done with rant.

Any truth to the rumour that the mural will depict two lesbians buying rainbow-coloured lumber at Home Depot?

Yes, it's part of the Mural Project. A terrific canvas in a perfect location.

Oh, no. :( They should just leave it white. Seriously.

The white tiles are looking better than they were earlier. I like the tree there with the round concrete seating (cause that's what it should and will be used for).

But no more murals! Lol.

Oh, no. :( They should just leave it white. Seriously.

The white tiles are looking better than they were earlier. I like the tree there with the round concrete seating (cause that's what it should and will be used for).

But no more murals! Lol.

Want to wager how long it would take for that wall to be tagged leaving it white?

It's difficult for a city to develop any sense of history when we re-name our parks and streets to keep things fresh and current. By all means, name a park after Barbara Hall; but a NEW park. Also not a fan of using full names. It's awkward and vaguely suburban. What’s wrong with Hall Park...We didn't call it William Cawthra Park. And the loss of the natural brick on the side of the Community Centre is unfortunate; presumably to be covered by a questionable mural....OK, done with rant.

They're trying to change the name of Union Station too - i wish City Council would turn it's attention to something useful like fixing potholes instead of re-writing history -

They're trying to change the name of Union Station too - i wish City Council would turn it's attention to something useful like fixing potholes instead of re-writing history -

Changing the name of Union Station would be incredibly dumb. It UNIFIES the two lines, hence the name. It is at the centre (sort of ) of the city and unifies the east and west. Are they seriously considering this?

Changing the name of Union Station would be incredibly dumb. It UNIFIES the two lines, hence the name. It is at the centre (sort of ) of the city and unifies the east and west. Are they seriously considering this?
This was a Denzil Minnan-Wong idea from February - it did not have traction (thank god);

My friend has an inside scoop on Starbucks in the village. Apparently, the Church/Wellesley reno is the most expensive Starbucks Canada has ever done. Quite excited to see how it turns out!

My friend has an inside scoop on Starbucks in the village. Apparently, the Church/Wellesley reno is the most expensive Starbucks Canada has ever done. Quite excited to see how it turns out!

Really? The most expensive, this should hopefully be gorgeous! Any idea when the big reveal will be?

It looks like they got rid of the upstairs. That's what it looks like when walking by and glancing at it. An expensive reno doesn't mean a good reno. Lol. It just means that there was some work to be done — in this case getting rid of the top floor. If they get rid of the two seats by the window I'm sure there will be a riot. Lol.

I'm pretty sure it closed in February and a sign said a mid or late May opening, if memory serves, so that's a heck of a long renovation. It's obviously not open but it looks close. I peeked in a few nights ago, the main floor has a complete ceiling right to the front of the store now so that's major structural work but I couldn't see any stairs (it was pretty dark inside), surely that is to add more seating to the upper level. There's no way they they'd eliminate all that space upstairs. It's such a shame that they couldn't do a deal with the former 7&24 Video location, which still sits empty (along with Priape next door) both with "For Lease" signs and World Pride three weeks away.
There are also two empty spaces just north of Wellesley on the west side, the former Slacks space and a Thai or Asian restaurant.

Barbara Hall Park is starting to take shape quite nicely, looking to be ready just in time for World Pride. The black and white tiles on the west side of the park have been put in place. The mural is starting to take shape as well - looking extremely good in my opinion. Probably the best out of the other murals around the village.

VZjsMYK.jpg

lrZntKN.jpg

OqLwPuj.jpg

SHMAyjG.jpg

Back