News   Jul 12, 2024
 423     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.--Winston Churchill

I'm sure you're a lot of fun at the parties you don't frequent.

OK, so you hate the Gay Village, you hate Dundas Square, you hate Yonge Street, You hate the gay community, you hate Smitherman, you hate KWT and yet, you seem to like Rob Ford. Interesting! If the Gay Village and Toronto is such a terrible place, why even live here?

Looking back at your postings, it's almost impossible to find anything you actually like. I don't see you praising any buildings or anything about Toronto. The closest you get to praising anything is when you promote Rob Ford. Yep, not a single bit of criticism for the one thing almost everyone agrees, is a disaster for this city. That probably says more about where you're coming from, than anything else.

It's clear to me you have an agenda and seeing the gay community do well, is not part of it. You seem to look foreward to the day when the Gay Village vanishes. I'm just curious, are you gay? You seem relentlessly homophobic to me. Wouldn't your life be better if you found some nice, straight, conservative, prim and proper city or town, somewhere far, far away from the gays? (and Church Street)

Seriously, you seem to be filled with so much hate for just about everything but especially the Gay community. Go back and read your postings and see how much positivity you express about the city you choose to live in. Sure, we all like to complain about stupid stuff but you take hateful rants to a whole new level.
Thanks for saying what too many of us have been thinking.

Where is this park gents? I want to go have a look this weekend.

It's on the east side of Church St., a one minute walk north of Wellesley. Part of the park (all gated & under construction) is on the south side of the 519 Community Centre, another part on the north side and the remaining (including the AIDS Memorial) in behind the 519. You can also see the back of the park by walking along Monteith Street (at the north end of the park) to the end, then walk down the stairs to the very back of the park. There's really not a whole lot to see yet, I'd suggest waiting another week or two when it begins to come together.

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.--Winston Churchill
You call what you do criticism? lol What's the difference between complaining and criticizing?

Can you at least offer a solution once in a while? It's easy to criticize but much harder to show us something better. You don't like the twirly light posts? OK, what do you suggest? Let's see what your version of "good taste" is, for a Gay Village.

cawthraparkm18.jpg

For perspective, this is roughly where androiduk's photo (above) was taken from (red arrow), trees illustrated have not been planted yet -

I like the fact that this isn't all grass. It will feel more like a mix between a park and a public square. Toronto has so few public squares, so this will be a nice change. Public squares feel so much more urban.

They're painting the north side of 519 white. Is that prep for a mural or will it just remain blank?

Yes, it's part of the Mural Project. A terrific canvas in a perfect location.

I like the fact that this isn't all grass. It will feel more like a mix between a park and a public square. Toronto has so few public squares, so this will be a nice change. Public squares feel so much more urban.

It appears to be a really good balance, but we'll wait for project completion. If it's true that they chopped down all those beautiful rose bushes around the AIDS Memorial, I still won't be happy.

[Edit: May 20th, 1:30am - I just snuck into the park and the rose bushes have only been pruned down, not removed. I'm very pleased!]

Last edited:

Back