News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 816     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

And the weather is always the exact opposite of what he says it's going to be. He has to be the worst forecaster out there. (sorry, off topic).

AM?

Who listens to AM?

They still make AM radios? It sounds so eight-track.

So true. Who goes there? I bounce back and forth between Classical 96.3 ( though the playlist isn't much improved since Moses took over ), Masala Meltdown on Saturday nights, and CBC's Saturday afternoon opera ... all on FM.

I'm pretty sure CP24 will be re-branded something CTV'ish in a while too. Likely "CTV Toronto Newsnet" or something similar. Sort of sad that we won't have a City produced 24-hour news channel anymore.

^ Rogers could launch one. Basically, CityTV is back to its roots: one channel. No CP24's, no A-Channels.. just CityTV.

I wonder when they're going to announce the new CityTV HQ. How long does City have to move out?

Rogers could launch one.

Actually, probably not. The CRTC doesn't really allow competing speciality channels in that narrow of a niche.

Shows like FT, The New Music, Speakers Corner, MT, etc. are now all owned by CTV and will continue airing on their newly acquired speciality channels (ie. Fashion TV, Much Music, Space, etc.) One has to wonder where this new City-TV is going to find their can-con? A very expensive proposition for Rogers, but Rogers is actually one of the few companies that will likely give it an honest go.

The truck being painted CP24 makes little sense as...

1.) CTV will likely change the name anyway in a few years to something CTV-branded
2.) The installation was to immortalize City's TV's first live eye, livery and all. Painting it CP24 confuses everything.

I spoke with someone on the inside last weekend and he's pretty sure City is going to Lake Shore W & Bathurst, but that it's not finalized yet and won't be announced for a while.

^so much for the connection with the city.

If they built a new studio facing Queen Quay, it would at least stand a chance. The Lakeshore building doesn't even have a street facing window studio.

^so much for the connection with the city.
If they built a new studio facing Queen Quay, it would at least stand a chance. The Lake Shore building doesn't even have a street facing window studio.
I'd imagine they would develop the parking lot facing Queen's Quay in order to house City-TV. However, a lot depends on whether the CRTC allows them to keep the OMNI's as well. If they do, the parking lot would likely get developed. If they don't get to keep the OMNI's, they'd be sold and City could just move into the existing building.

Indeed, this would be VERY different from Queen St W, but being situated on the nicest part of our waterfront (so far) and across the street from the City of Toronto Museum (one day) isn't such a bad location either. I'd imagine they'd make Queen's Quay their main door, not Lake Shore.

Be a shame to lose all that pedestrian traffic that fits so nicely into the backdrop on Breakfast Television and replace it with all those cars zooming by. On the other hand, strategically placed cameras could provide really nice views of all that's "new" down there. Either way, the impact will definitely be noticeable.

they should just rent the second level of the podium for One Bloor East... that would be a good spot and the timeline works (if construction really does start this fall)

they should just rent the second level of the podium for One Bloor East... that would be a good spot and the timeline works (if construction really does start this fall)

That sounds about right to me. $50 million to build a studio there and that certainly fits the "high profile" description. I don't think it will go in the Lakeshore building - it wouldn't cost $50 million to move to an existing studio. Love 'em or hate 'em, Rogers would'nt screw around with City's successful formula by banishing it to the Omni studios.

I agree. If there's one thing that Rogers is good at it's certainly marketing and branding. Obviously they won't find a better location than 299 Queen W., but I'm sure that in the long term they'll have studios with high visibility.

Rogers AND CTV would be fools to not see the potential of filling the first floor or two of 1 Bloor East with highly branded studios.

Who'll get there first?

(Or, rather, who'll pay more?)

Back