News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 593     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 874     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

I think that Speaker's Corner is going to CP24 which CTV owns. Did it always play on CP24? It is now and I haven't seen it in the CityTV listings.

In addition, The Much Music store has its own Speaker's Corner and I believe CTV is keeping that as well.

Anybody notice that they repainted the "Crashing News Jeep" with CP24 to cover up the CityTV logo?

I think I'm gonna cry.. it's so sad that CityTV is vacating this landmark. :(

well at least they didn't that truck down like reports said a month or so ago.

Funny how I noticed the truck, but I can't remember if the huge CityTV letters are still on the side of the building, above the truck.

That's one of my favorite views of Queen St. walking West: seeing the CityTV letters and knowing that I'm about to enter a very busy and dynamic area.

I know people like the truck, but I hate it. Plus, can they finally paint the back of the building something other than black?

baby-crying.jpg

:(

What I can't understand is why CTV would keep or be allowed to keep CP24 - that station is a 24 hours news channel, a format that CTV already owns - Newsnet. Also, it being so integrated with the CityPulse news, it would be hard to split up.

This is such a strange and unhappy media 'merger'.

I'd rather have black than CTV blue... maybe they'll have three stripes and then install a huge CTVglobemedia logo... what will that tell you when you walk down Queen if that's the case, MetroMan? ...it'd just be a sign of the corporatization that is continuing to happen to that stretch of Queen... how fitting.

I know people like the truck, but I hate it.

How can you hate the truck?

If it were bursting out of the side of the Four Seasons Centre and marring the austere beauty of that place, I could understand your complaint. Or if it were sitting skewered at the top of the CN Tower, I would agree that that was too much too. But smashing through the walls of the Chum-City Building? That was always a perfect metaphor for the kind of broadcaster Citytv always saw itself as and wanted to project.

To hate the truck is to hate not just the truck, but Citytv, their associated specialty channels, and by extension Toronto itself, if not all of Canada.

Make love, not hate, Hydrogen. Love the truck!

If it were bursting out of the side of the Four Seasons Centre and marring the austere beauty of that place, I could understand your complaint. Or if it were sitting skewered at the top of the CN Tower, I would agree that that was too much too. But smashing through the walls of the Chum-City Building? That was always a perfect metaphor for the kind of broadcaster Citytv always saw itself as and wanted to project.

To hate the truck is to hate not just the truck, but Citytv, their associated specialty channels, and by extension Toronto itself, if not all of Canada.

well said interchange42

Moment of cosmic broadcasting realization.

Gosh, I'm kinda teary-eyed now. All these years and my malevolent desires to do the truck in (or at least paint the walls in back of City) have been brought into sharp focus. But with one quick, deft and utterly apt piece of evidence, I see the point of the truck smashing its way through the wall of Chumitytv: the pure expression of the power of metaphor.

It is, in fact, the most pure expression of Citytv's approach to that which we have been inevitably told to call "the news." Forget clarity, damn the facts, just get it on the air (by getting into the air - brilliant!). Be first at all costs! Let no wall stop you from the sacred act of gathering the news for everyone, everywhere.

Oh Harold Hussein, where are you when I need you the most...
...with your ever convenient umbrella and meteorological wisdom.

What hath they done to you...

sniff...

Can I at least get the wall painted?

Everywhere...

u can still hear the pleaseant sound of harold's voice on 680 news. that's right, it's on the AM.

Back