News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 591     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 867     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

What about Torch? Someone brought that up in another thread. Probably not enough internal volume to accomodate CityTV, but that would be an awesome location; right at Dundas Square.

I've always thought the city tv building would make an awesome loft building one day....There's that big parking lot for a brad lamb all glass addition too.

If i was Ted (Rogers) I'd go with the skydome to cut costs--there's bound to be plenty of office space there sitting vacant. If I was really hip I'd move it to Regent Park;) If i was pretend hip I'd move to LV.

If I was making the decision: Y+Bloor area.

Would they just move it to the Rogers Campus at Mount Pleasant and Bloor? Is there space there or could be freed up by moving it to Brampton Dixie Road?

That's an option, but I don't think it would be a suitable replacement for their current building as far as location is concerned.

A big part of their image is their seeming connectedness to the city. To maintain that image they'll need a higher profile location with much more pedestrian activity.

More relocation ideas:

Tthey could take over both of the disused bank buildings on Yonge across from the Eaton Centre - there's that little parkette between them that could become part connecting building/part event space fronting Yonge.

Otherwise they could become the lead tenant in the podium of Aura up at Gerrard and Yonge.

Or go with a rehab of one of the buildings the City plans to sell soon bordering Yonge-Dundas Square.

I think PenEquity owns more space beside the Torch too - a rebuild there might work.

Nothing suits the Citytv vibe better than Y-D Square.

Would they just move it to the Rogers Campus at Mount Pleasant and Bloor? Is there space there or could be freed up by moving it to Brampton Dixie Road?

Clearly City Tv relies on a connection on the city, which means a location with pedestrian activity. Speaker's Corner would fail without it. I'll miss Breakfast Television with Queen Street in the background.

Not even close. Rogers is less ideological, even though Maclean's has taken a right turn in the past three years. I think Rogers is more like Canada's Time Warner (both are internet providers (AOL), both owns non-major network TV stations, owns cable systems.

Not even close. Rogers is less ideological, even though Maclean's has taken a right turn in the past three years. I think Rogers is more like Canada's Time Warner (both are internet providers (AOL), both owns non-major network TV stations, owns cable systems.

my comparison was based on the company buying up everything but i like your comparison better.

ted rogers meets ted turner.

maybe CanWest is our News Corp?

More relocation ideas:
I think PenEquity owns more space beside the Torch too - a rebuild there might work.Nothing suits the Citytv vibe better than Y-D Square.
I think Torch plus that Pen-Equity building just east of Torch combined would be enough space for City-TV. Maybe they could build a bridge over the alley or something.

But are they even allowed to operate three broadcast stations (CITY-TV, CFMT and CJMT) in one market? Even the two OMNI stations (CFMT and CJMT) show enough filler American shows to make the multicultural argument a bit weak.

Some info on the hearings is here:

http://www.playbackmag.com/articles/daily/20070829/CRTC.html

maybe CanWest is our News Corp?
Indeed it is! In fact, it would be owned by NewsCorp if we didn't have something called the CRTC.

Sportsnet will be moving to One Mount Pleasant. The renovation of the ground floor just off of Isabella is almost complete. Giant SPORTSNET flags are in the windows already.

Torch - there is the land just to the south of Torch along Victoria (Senator restaurant plus a parking lot) which could be built upon. Connect that to Torch and one could see a VERY large office/media building with connections to a very busy street corner and public square.

Would it be feasible that OCAD could take over the CityTV Building as part of their expansion plans?

Nope. CTV is keeping it for all the specialty channels like Muchmusic that they just bought.

much music is perfect in that location...

Back