News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 608     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 913     0 

Canadian media & the CRTC

Well, that's interesting: backhandedly saved (for the moment) by the technicality of its *already* belonging to a heritage property...

If the CRTC forces Rogers to sell the OMNI's (which it probably will), I think Lake Shore W & Bathurst is quite likely our new home for City-TV. I can also see 1 Mount Pleasant, Rogers Centre, Torch or some other iconic building (Roundhouse anyone?) being sought out as well.

I like the concept of Torch as well, but it seems that it could be too small, and the street presence isn't great. What about one of the other buildings on the south side of Dundas Square - re-do the ground floor of one of those buildings, almost directly on the square, that would be excellent.

They could always move back to 99 Queen St E. :p

Also...

If the CRTC forces Rogers to sell the OMNI's (which it probably will), I think Lake Shore W & Bathurst is quite likely our new home for City-TV.
Come to thik of it, even if Rogers gets to keep the OMNI's, there's plenty of room on that Lake Shore site to build a new CITY-TV on the surface parking lot on the Queen's Quay side.

I wonder what's going to happen to the recently rebuilt Speaker's Corner.

They spent a couple of months tearing out and building a cool looking booth... I wonder if CTV will retain the rights for that. I don't see how a Speaker's Corner on Lakeshore & Bathurst will be successful.

I was just looking at the Queens Quay side of the Rogers studios and it looks like it could become an excellent public engaged TV studio.

It's right across from the silos (future Toronto museum) and seems to be bustling with people most of the time.

CityTV could have a good new home here. Hopefully Rogers thinks the same.

CityTV sell-off/New City HQ?

Rogers to spend $50 million?

On top of the two years of losses, Rogers executives said the company could be forced to spend up to $50-million for office space to accommodate the TV empire it is acquiring with the Citytv purchase. Rogers said it would like to locate its Citytv, OMNI and other conventional TV assets in one location with a strong presence in central Toronto. Citytv's operations must vacate the landmark CHUM building in downtown Toronto as part of a multi-year transition agreed to by CTV and Rogers.

Once Corus moves out of Liberty Village, Rogers should move it's TV channels in - Omni, and friends, plus the City stations and at some point Sportsnet will have to get out of the parking lot at CTV.

But are they even allowed to operate three broadcast stations (CITY-TV, CFMT and CJMT) in one market? Even the two OMNI stations (CFMT and CJMT) show enough filler American shows to make the multicultural argument a bit weak.

CBC is boring broadcasting. The only remotely interesting thing on CBC is it's sports coverage.

CTV is much more appealing for news.

I like CTV's national news broadcast, but their local news is awful. The worst is when they try to match CityTV's brand appeal. They come across as your parents trying to be cool.

I'm not sure CityTV would be a good fit for Liberty village, though it is an up and coming area.

Dundas Square seems the best fit for them as far as location and exposure go.

Back