News   Jul 18, 2024
 421     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 578     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 902     0 

Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown got "ad-hacked" by that group that went around targeting illegal advertisements:

20100823tosatshort1.jpg

There's a fire above the House on Parliament pub. It's in the apartments on the top floors on the north end of those buildings. It's pretty bad from what I hear. Parliament St. is closed south of Carlton.

Last edited:
Oh no! Are there any more details out there? If it was above the HOP, they were probably severely water damaged.

In an unrelated story: I have officially left Cabbagetown :-(

It will remain my favourite neighborhood of all time and will hold a special place in my heart. Yes, it lacks the restaurants, galleries, and general hipness of Dundas/Bloor/College west, but they shoot movies in Cabbagetown for a reason.

According to The Star the southeast corner of Wellesley and Sherbourne is the northwest corner of Cabbagetown.
I can agree with that. My kids go to Winchester PS and that neighbourhood certainly feels like CT. Of course, the real Cabbagetown lies under the rubble of Regent Park. What we commonly refer to now as CT was in fact called Donvale, as any member of http://donvalecra.ca/ would know. Today's Cabbagetown got its name from real estate agents, same as the houses on Kingston Rd being called Upper Beach.

A new Irish Pub called "Stouts" opened yesterday at 221 Carlton in the location of the former Brass Taps restaurant. They put a lot of work into renovating the interior and it looks very inviting with big leather chairs and wood burning fireplace. I think that this will be good competition for the over-rated House on Parliament.

http://www.stoutirishpub.ca/

Last edited:
Brilliant, I'll definitely check them out. HOP was good, but always overly crowded and service was becoming indifferent.

The one retailer I'd love to see in Cabbagetown is a chain bookstore like Book City or Coles. We have enough restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, cheap electronic and discount shops.

Last edited:
Brilliant, I'll definitely check them out. HOP was good, but always overly crowded and service was becoming indifferent.

I still like the HOP, but it's interesting that you bring up the service. I've heard the same complaint as yours from a lot of people who have been going there for years, my self included. I think a lot of the staff have been there too long.

Back