News   Jul 18, 2024
 421     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 577     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 902     0 

Cabbagetown

Wow, never knew about the fire risk. Additionally, wouldn't this smell terrible? I've never practised heat composting, but I know that rotting vegetative matter smells pretty bad, and I wouldn't want it on my deck.

The new TD building at the NE corner of Parliament and Carlton is almost ready for occupancy. The Starbucks building across the street has residential tenants but the building still has an unfinished rear exterior (the columns aren't finished) and the landscaping still hasn't been done. Quite a contrast between the two developers or owners.

The Cabbagetown Organics building next to TD is slowly gaining its third storey. I hope that turns out well.

The city has not re-paved the neighbourhood sidewalks after ripping them up last year to re-line the water pipes. What a mess! Amateur asphalt patches every few feet.

---

Help me win an iPad. Vote to name this new Toronto condo "Stephen Colbert Tower"". No registration or email necessary, just click Vote. Vote for Stephen Colbert Tower

My wife and I took the kids last night to the movie event put on by MPP Glen Murray. It was a good event, the movie was Kungfu Panda, started at 8:30pm, went until 11:00'ish. Murray gave a nice speech, gave out cookies and free popcorn. Walking home through Cabbagetown at 11:30pm wasn't bad at all, lots of normal (a heated term of course) folks walking around.

The Union Yoga studio has reopened as a gallery (I think). EDIT: No, it's a card shop with a touch of Drake General Store. Cute. I may pick up a pack of "FUCK, SHIT, CUNT, BITCH, PUSSY" sticky notes seen in the window.

The infamous Paradise Bar and Grill has reopened as a restaurant... the new tenants left the sign, and added a pre-fix.

TD should be opening soon... for fall maybe?

Last edited:
Did you look into windows the old Paradise? My god, it looks terrible. I fear that place is doomed already.

Lately I've been spending more time in Cabbagetown because my kids have been going to daycamp there and I've been really impressed with a lot of the new developments along Parliament. The Starbucks building, townhouses and the new bank are a nice scale and seem to fit in nicely with the streetscape. I don't know how much, if any community involvement was an influence but all in all I think Parliament St. has been enhanced. I hope the locals are happy with things.

tdcabbage.jpg

The broken pediment atop the little building to the east is one of Cabbagetown's more valiant attempts at elevating a humble structure to ... something-or-other.

Did you look into windows the old Paradise? My god, it looks terrible. I fear that place is doomed already.

Horrible. The booth upholstery? Wow.... I actually feel bad. You wonder why people like this don't pony up money for a designer.

The most expensive item on the menu is $11.

Lately I've been spending more time in Cabbagetown because my kids have been going to daycamp there and I've been really impressed with a lot of the new developments along Parliament. The Starbucks building, townhouses and the new bank are a nice scale and seem to fit in nicely with the streetscape. I don't know how much, if any community involvement was an influence but all in all I think Parliament St. has been enhanced. I hope the locals are happy with things.

tdcabbage.jpg

Below are a few more of the recent projects I was referring to.

ctown.jpg

Back