News   Jul 18, 2024
 364     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 519     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 861     0 

Cabbagetown

Rumor has it that today will be the last day for the House on Parliament in its current location. It's moving into its new location, just next door (south) tomorrow.

That seems like it would be a shocking lack of advance notice.

Meh. The fact they were moving was publicised quite a while ago. And it is just next door.

re
http://www.stoutirishpub.ca/

I sent this link to some friends, one came back saying 'why did we want to go to a Greek pub......?'

We went on a friday night, the beer was ok ( Caffreys on tap), the food was passable, considering it was all deep dried. I would say the place was a welcome edition to the neighbourhood, it offers something more lively than the HOP, more group orientated, I think the HOP appeals to those looking to talk, drink and eat, while the music in Stouts cuts into the conversation somewhat.

As for the HOP moving, good luck to them I say, they will truly now be the HOP judging by the property they have taken, i just don't want it to change too much.

The HOP has indeed moved and reopened in the new location.

Also the "Indian" restaurant with the black store front has opened. I say "Indian" as that is what was said earlier in the thread, but there is still no exterior signage or even a menu. They do have a lot of tables inside and are open 7 days a week.

That new restaurant was completely empty at 7pm today with a waitress/staff member standing in the window with a serious look of "Why isn't anyone coming?" on her face.

C'mon guys. Even if it's a temporary, you need some sort of sign to inform people what the restaurant is.

That new restaurant was completely empty at 7pm today with a waitress/staff member standing in the window with a serious look of "Why isn't anyone coming?" on her face.

C'mon guys. Even if it's a temporary, you need some sort of sign to inform people what the restaurant is.

This is a "Young Thailand" restaurant http://www.youngthailand.com/location.html

I noticed tonight business seems to be picking up as it was half-full

This is a "Young Thailand" restaurant http://www.youngthailand.com/location.html

I noticed tonight business seems to be picking up as it was half-full

Oh that's kind of a disappointment. I will give it a try, but really this neighbourhood is over-Thai'd now! Thai-2-GO, Sukothai and Ginger are already there. I know those are more take-out oriented, but downtown, especially from Dundas to Bloor, just feels over-saturated with mediocre pan-Asian restaurants that have 100 items on the menu. I would love a hole in the wall Italian take-out place (not pizza), or Mexican, or something that is not a variety of noodle with a variety of stir-fried meat in spicy sauce factory.

I guess what I really want are some reliable food carts, or better still, some food trucks!

Oh that's kind of a disappointment. I will give it a try, but really this neighbourhood is over-Thai'd now! Thai-2-GO, Sukothai and Ginger are already there. I know those are more take-out oriented, but downtown, especially from Dundas to Bloor, just feels over-saturated with mediocre pan-Asian restaurants that have 100 items on the menu.

Ginger is Vietnamese, not Thai. Thai-2-GO and Sukothai are a rather long walk from Parliament and Carlton where I live. My take out would be cold by the time I got home. I'm glad to have a new Thai place to check out this week.

Athena's Restaurant on Parliament has gone under.

it couldn't have been around much longer than 4 months. That spot is (like the bar above the stone grill) starting to take on the aura of doom. The longest thing to last there that I know of was it's incarnation as "paradise bar and grill", and that was a nightmare.

Also, my verdict on the new HOP.

It's not bad. It looks great, but there are some concerns. The seats behind the bar (80% of them, I'd say) don't have any natural lighting. This isn't a big deal in the winter when it's dark all the time, but come summer, it's going to hurt them. Who wants to sit 100 feet from a window on a beautiful day? Which leads to issue two; small patio. It's going to be next to impossible to get a seat out there. Also, it feels more like a restaurant and less like a pub now. This seems to be reflected in a slight change of clientele; I've seen more children in the HOP since the move than I did in the 12 months proceeding.

Overall it's fine, but I don't see myself going there as often just to have a pint or six. That being said, each time I've been there since the move they've been turning people away.

Last edited:
^ it's always re-opening...speaking of which...

The space that was Paradise Bar and Grill, then Athena restaurant for a couple of months (502ish Parliament?) has been taken over by the same people who run Big Mama's Boy up the street. They're re-opening for St. Patrick's day, which is a quick turn around.
I've never been to Big Mama's Boy, but i hear it's good, and it has been around for years. It seems they know how to run a restaurant, and they know what the neighbourhood wants. Hopefully they will be the ones to lift the curse off of this location.

Oh, and I'm told the "Young Thai" place across from no frills isn't bad. Is this the same Young Thai which used to be just north of Queen and John?

Seems it's reopening tomorrow as The Flying Beaver:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/304693

The next night sees The Elaine Dark Band performing to a sold-out crowd, with DJ Carol spinning after the show. Let’s see how the Beavs handle scalpers! Saturday is comedian Richard Ryder, followed by the ever so sexy DJ Madame Hair. Finally on Sunday everyone is invited down for a gay ole time at the Sunday T-Dance with DJ Christina. There’s brunch starting at 10am for early-risers, or those still hanging around from the night before.

Am I reading this right? Parliament Street is about to get a full blown gay bar/dance club?
Perhaps The Village is ready to decamp for greener pastures to the east?

Back