News   Jul 18, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 472     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 656     1 

Cabbagetown

I can't believe it took so long. I used to live directly across the street, and I saw some of the craziest things I've ever seen out my window around 3am. Rejoice, Parliament, the beast has been slain.

I'm sure the people who will (at some point, presumably) be living above Starbucks are somewhere sighing in relief.

The condos above Starbucks that were never put on the market are now for rent. Here's a link to one of them:
http://www.viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?ViT=97419

I can only guess that the owner didn't feel he'd get as much as he'd like right now and therefore decided to rent them out. But on the other hand, he left them vacant and unfinished for a year so who knows.

I can only guess that the owner didn't feel he'd get as much as he'd like right now and therefore decided to rent them out. But on the other hand, he left them vacant and unfinished for a year so who knows.
Same goes for the owner of the new TD building. He let it sit derelict for ages until the right offer came along. If you've got the funding to lose money in the short term for later long term gain then this is a good plan.

Yesterday, after the AGO, a friend and I finally went to that wonderful ice cream and gelato place on Parliament that opened last year. Mmmmm!

The guys who run it are very nice. Have you been, Beez?

Yesterday, after the AGO, a friend and I finally went to that wonderful ice cream and gelato place on Parliament that opened last year. Mmmmm!

The guys who run it are very nice. Have you been, Beez?
Yes, we love it. We've been there with the kids several times last summer. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to take the kids there this weekend. Cheers all.

Took the kids to the ice cream shop on Parliament yesterday. It was cold and windy, but we still went in for moose tracks and mint chocolate ice cream. My only complaint would be the young guy behind the counter talking away on his cell phone while/instead of serving customers. If it was my shop I'd have an employee cell phone ban. If there aren't customers to serve then pick up a mop or cloth and get cleaning and polishing.

Let me check the date. Yes, it's 2010 not 1990. You're out of touch mr admiral.... :p
On the contrary, businesses that understand the importance of good service will survive and prosper while those that do not, will not. I have good ice cream in my freezer at home, and a nice backyard for the kids to eat it in, so this is completely discretionary spending. If the owners of this establishment don't care that their staff ignore customers so that they can talk on their cell phones, then it will hurt their bottom line, that I guarantee.

Well, I agree with you there. I rarely eat ice cream anymore at all, as processed sugar is bad for you. If I do find myself eating it somewhere, it had better be special. Even if you have kids, you can get a small tub of good organic ice cream for $5 and you have enough for three servings.

From http://cabbagetownnews.blogspot.com/

Construction notes
Three projects near the corner at Carlton and Parliament have provoked some interest in Cabbagetown. Here’s the latest on each of them.
Organics.JPG

At 499 Parliament (above Cabbagetown Organics), the owner is adding a third floor for the apartment spaces in the building.
Paradise.JPG

At 488 Parliament, the Paradise Restaurant has closed. There’s a new project now underway to open a family-style restaurant in place of the old bar. We can also expect some changes to the exterior facing Parliament and a clean-up around the back deck.
TD+Interior.JPG

The new bank is the big project in this area at the corner. George Foulides, the building owner, tells us that the majority of the work is now being done inside and that a summer date for opening the TD Bank is firming up. You can easily see through the front windows that interior furnishings and counters are now being set in place.

I don't know if many of you saw the big house fire on Winchester Ave in Cabbagetown today. It was caused by a homeowner keeping a composter on his upstairs deck. The composter caught fire, and then burned the neighbour's upstairs deck and much of their roof. The smoke was huge, and I think at least six fire trucks came. The moral of the story... do not leave a composter on a wooden or flammable surface. Composters work by using the sun's heat to decompose food waste, and as it decomposes it generates heat, sometimes a lot.

Back