News   Jun 25, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 704     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Bravo Condos (22 Norton in NYCC, Baywood/Pemberton, 19s, P+S/IBI)

It's good to see progress like this in North York Centre. I just wish there was more to this area than retail on Yonge St. Other than Sheppard and Finch the only East/West street that has retail is Spring Garden. A real 'downtown' North York would have more than one street in my opinion.

It's good to see progress like this in North York Centre. I just wish there was more to this area than retail on Yonge St. Other than Sheppard and Finch the only East/West street that has retail is Spring Garden. A real 'downtown' North York would have more than one street in my opinion.

I don't mind the whole one street concept ... it's worked really well for NYCC - a really good comparison between MCC / SCC and NYCC is just this - granted in both the other cases there are two giant malls which doesn't help - but either way ...

The real issue, is the crappy retail that populates the majority of Yonge street - the restaurants I don't mind ... very much geared to one segmant but that's OK - but any other form of retail is well ... very much lacking ... particularly if you compare it to areas such as Bloor West village / Yonge and Eglinton / The beaches / ... (insert more here) ...

Over time, more retail will be built on Finch and Sheppard as they're turned in Avenues/main streets, but it's highly unlikely that any interesting or thriving retail scene will develop on them. Yonge has the desirable pre-war main street retail buildings, and Finch and Sheppard have concrete cubbyholes under condos. More could have been done on Beecroft and Doris, but the city insisted on turning these streets into giant transition/buffer zones between the development and the detached houses, so they're lined with parking entrances and a few townhouses and lots of linear parkettes instead of something more urban.

it'd be nice to see more of north york turning into vibrant retail strips, to bad there is not much "hip" retail there and its more big box stores...maybe in 20-30 years this could turn into a cooler part of the city

from today
20110306054.jpg

February 15 2011 update

Previous photo that I forgot about ... the Bravo pit (no pun intended) back in February 2011:

IMG_5246.jpg

Thanks Jivey - great view! If this is taken from your home or office - please update us weekly!

thanks jivey80 ... will Bravo be blocking the north view from The Imperial condos?

May 08
Why didn't they buy up that whole block as the rest is a waste of space. To put anything in place of those building would required the removable of the laneway.
5702506897_20d1590505_b.jpg

5703077604_3635fe50e6_b.jpg

Back