News   Mar 28, 2024
 482     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 392     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 741     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Many of the cuts have since been restored last week, though service levels, particularly off-peak, have yet to be restored to February 2020 levels.
https://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/plan-your-trip/Pages/Service-Changes.aspx

Only a few routes remain cancelled for now, most of which are short-turn branches or express runs, like the 104, 561 (always the weakest of the Zum routes), the 18A, or short, marginal routes like 36 and 58.

Interestingly, the Town of Caledon is interested in getting more Brampton Transit service, at least in the short-term:

Many of the cuts have since been restored last week, though service levels, particularly off-peak, have yet to be restored to February 2020 levels.
https://www.brampton.ca/EN/residents/transit/plan-your-trip/Pages/Service-Changes.aspx

Only a few routes remain cancelled for now, most of which are short-turn branches or express runs, like the 104, 561 (always the weakest of the Zum routes), the 18A, or short, marginal routes like 36 and 58.

Interestingly, the Town of Caledon is interested in getting more Brampton Transit service, at least in the short-term:
where else would need it other than Dixie over what already exists today? Would they consider extending right into Bolton, or extending Airport Rd service to Caledon village?

where else would need it other than Dixie over what already exists today? Would they consider extending right into Bolton, or extending Airport Rd service to Caledon village?

Eventually, all of that is possible. Caledon is also rapidly growing along the Brampton border, from Chinguacousy Road to Heart Lake Road, and within Bolton itself. Valley wood should have been the first bus route extended into Caledon, but they contracted the Airport Road extension first, followed by Kennedy Road. I guess they’re happy enough with those two services that they’ll ask for more.

The Bolton bus contracted to Voyago is targeted to warehouse workers coming north instead of residents getting around or out of Bolton.

Airport Rd extension to Caledon East would be great, although would most likely be split into a branch. I expect it would be similar service to the 50 Gore Rd north of Gore Meadows. Speaking of that route, we could also easily extend it beyond Mayfield to Caledon East as well, or have it service Bolton instead.

Airport Rd extension to Caledon East would be great, although would most likely be split into a branch. I expect it would be similar service to the 50 Gore Rd north of Gore Meadows. Speaking of that route, we could also easily extend it beyond Mayfield to Caledon East as well, or have it service Bolton instead.

There's probably a need for a proper terminal at Gore Meadows, where the 505 can be rerouted to (with a separate 530 route to Pearson), along with 35, 36, 50, YRT, and any BT/Caledon routes to Bolton.

There's probably a need for a proper terminal at Gore Meadows, where the 505 can be rerouted to (with a separate 530 route to Pearson), along with 35, 36, 50, YRT, and any BT/Caledon routes to Bolton.

GM has an opportunity to be a great connector for almost anything in the east end of Brampton and beyond. I've even thought of the 1A Queen getting an extension via McVean to GM and that does have its benefits.

I've been thinking about a separate Zum for Airport Rd as well, which would probably help the corridor in the long run. Even with the Pearson extension hopefully coming later this year, there would still be 2 service patterns to run throughout the entire route which in my experience is horrible. If the 505 is then too short of a route with this change, either extending the west end down Mississauga Rd to Derry/Meadowvale TC, or having it be the badly needed, long awaited northern Brampton-Vaughan route to Vaughan Mills/Rutherford GO. If they're still mixed with through running a bus route on Rutherford between Hwy 50 and 27, they could always have it dip down to Langstaff to service the commercial and residential areas there. This would probably encourage YRT to extend its 85 route to Gore Meadows.

Latest update here on the $400 million loan from the Canada Infrastructure Bank for electric buses.

1646759294387.png

1646759310767.png

Eventually, all of that is possible. Caledon is also rapidly growing along the Brampton border, from Chinguacousy Road to Heart Lake Road, and within Bolton itself. Valley wood should have been the first bus route extended into Caledon, but they contracted the Airport Road extension first, followed by Kennedy Road. I guess they’re happy enough with those two services that they’ll ask for more.

The Bolton bus contracted to Voyago is targeted to warehouse workers coming north instead of residents getting around or out of Bolton.
I may be mistaken, but I remember the Airport bus service into Caledon predating Caledon contracting with Brampton, I believe the Airport bus may actually be contracted by employers.
There is unlikely to be a proper terminal at Gore Meadows Community Centre, the City recently voted to fund landscaping and adding features to the area South of the Community Centre.

Ridership continues to improve. Passengers carried in March 2022 (2,319,233) is back to 90% of March 2019 (2,575,948).

That's despite the (now likely permanent) loss of the direct York University service, several routes not operating or at full service levels, and continued low ridership on GO. I'm sure at this point staffing is at least as much of an issue to getting back to 100% service (and growth to meet latent and existing demand) as budgeted ridership.

Back