News   Mar 28, 2024
 261     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 283     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

I’m sure the York U route was 501A/C and Finch is the YRT 77 which used to run all the way to BCC terminal until the Zum got introduced and it got cut back to only serve The Gore Rd and Fogal for the Brampton section of the route.

The draft 2022 City of Brampton Budget is now live. I've only looked at the highlights from the draft proposal PDF. The full document would have more details.

Transit highlight items:

• $13.8M of transit bus refurbishments
• $19M for 12 new buses (electric buses) to meet ridership growth
• $17M for Züm service expansion on Chinguacousy Road corridor ($3.3 M in 2022). This Bus Rapid Transit System (BRT) will improve connectivity within and beyond Brampton.
• $2.9M for expanding regional transit connections, including LRT, and Steeles corridor higher order transit

Bramalea Zum is going to be funded in 2024. Its most likely just the 115’s current routing, just extended either up to Brampton Civic Hospital or straight up to the Smartcenters plaza at Mayfield. We would have 2 Zum routes head to the airport which would open up Brampton connections to mostly all the key locations.

I would love to see the Chinguacousy Zum serve the Heartland area at Mavis/Britannia, instead of just going to Brampton Gateway and filling up another overcrowded bus bay. I’d rather see the priority routing for Steeles get extended to Chinguacousy and also have the higher order transit begin here if they won’t push it to the rest of the corridor further west. The transfer to get to Sheridan and Gateway might be annoying, but i can see some benefits from the whole Mavis/Chinguacousy corridor overall for the Peel region, and the Zum corridors do have a history of crossing over from local transit agencies neighboring Brampton.

Transit staff are currently working with staff from the Greater Toronto Airport Authority on revised plans to extend Züm Bovaird to the Airport, and will be undertaking further analysis over fall 2021 and Q1/2022 to develop a revised 2022 Annual Transit Service Plan, including the launch of Züm service to Pearson Airport, targeting fall 2022.

From this staff report Brampton Transit COVID-19 Recovery Update .pdf

It also provides the latest ridership stats: Appendix A - Brampton Transit Ridership.pdf

1638756733558.png

I’m not a fan of posting links or tweets without any contextual information or a summary. Otherwise you’re just forcing a click and not really contributing.

Anyway, many of the listed routes are already suspended, with a few additions.

The city’s own website has more details:

Maybe when the TPAP begins for the Brampton Downtown Hub Study I'll create a separate thread, but in the mean time, latest City staff report on the project.

Agenda link: https://pub-brampton.escribemeeting...a=Merged&lang=English&Item=81&Tab=attachments

Report: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=40523

Overview:  This report seeks to obtain Council authorization to begin procurement for the Downtown Transit Hub Study.  On November 17, 2021 Committee of Council received an update on the status of the Downtown Transit Hub project. The report outlined that a Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP) would be required to help guide the new Downtown Transit Hub infrastructure planning and preliminary design.

Current Situation: With the terms of reference nearing completion in preparation of a Request for Proposal, staff are seeking approval to retain a multi-disciplinary consultant team to carry out the Transit Project Assessment Process along with supporting studies (Downtown Transit Hub Study) for the Downtown Transit Hub.

Last edited:
"begin procurement" are there parts of that area the city does not already own? :)
Yes, there are a couple portions the City does not own, but it seems to be trying to acquire the rest. The City probably wants to own the NE block of Four Corners because once construction starts downtown, it may result in damage to foundations.
^ I realize the comment was said somewhat in jest, but just for context if others are interested (and I wanted to be reminded of the visual) see below. Whether or not these parcels are part of the Hub Study considerations is something I don't know.

View attachment 375520
From a June 23, 2021 presentation PDF here: https://pub-brampton.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=27599

Found on this page: https://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/Downtown-Brampton/Pages/Integrated-Downtown-Plan.aspx
I believe the report from last year shows they are only looking at sites on the North side of Nelson Street West

By the way gentlemen, have you seen that Brampton Transit Ridership reached 84% of 2019 levels for December 2021?

Back