News   May 21, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 640     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 486     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

Those numbers are very misleading. Mississauga and Brampton have much higher densities and more dense clusters like Brampton Centre and area around Sq 1. which allow for better transit. Those numbers really show that the transit usage in Peel is terrible for a region of almost 2M people.

Peel has 1.2 million people. And the numbers are already adjusted for differences in population. Hence, the use of the term, "per capita." I do think the transit ridership in Peel is much better than in York Region, but that was not the point.

While York has 1M people, only about half of them live in area that can be served by transit, and those are areas mostly south of Hwy 7, and along Yonge. Remember, York Region as a whole is still about 60% rural, versus Peel which is now mostly built up, except for a small section around Caledon.

If we want to gage the success of Viva, you need to look at the ridership not at York Region as a whole but look at the two corridors: Yonge and Hwy7. Other that VIVA, YRT hasn't really improved their services enough to dramatically increase ridership. It's VIVA Purple and VIVA Blue that have seen ridership numbers increase in their respective corridors.

Yonge and Highway 7 are the busiest routes in the region by far. They are most important corridors. If they saw a major improvement it would be reflected in region-wide numbers.

The fact is, York Region spent $180 million, a lot on branding, and they expected major increase ridership region-wide, but they saw less improvement than either Mississauga and Brampton.

I would also argue that once the BRT are up an running, ridership will increase even more. For now, VIVA is nothing more than just a comfortable express bus.

Which is exactly my point. VIVA relied mostly on marketing, but it didn't work, and so I don't see why Brampton or Mississauga should follow the same path.

Brampton just had its annual service plan open house, where they present the plans for September route changes.

The Queen Street Zum route has a number: 501. That's right, 501 Queen (familiar?). It will run every 15 minutes all day, every day between Downtown Brampton and York University, with a rush hour branch also running every 15 minutes to York University express via Highway 407 (much like the 77A). Unfortunately, it looks like (unless things change) there will be overlap between Zum and Viva Orange, and that BT's route will not go to the subway at Downsview Station.

The Zum buses will have some advancements (though they are just high-end New Flyer 40-foot buses right now), like more comfortable seating. Front-door only boarding with conventional fare payment. All the new stops will have fancy shelters with real-time displays though.

The current Route 1 will be extended to Highway 50 (with some reduction in service); Route 77 will no longer go to Bramalea.

They are building a new Bramalea terminal at the old civic centre across from the Regional offices, so a bit longer of a walk. The new terminal will be nicer than the old one though, with proper indoor waiting area.

The boards are here, but the PDF is needlessly huge: http://www.brampton.ca/en/residents/transit/Documents/2010_Proposal_BoardsV3.pdf

All of the core/through routes will get half-hourly service minimum at all times now; the 40 and 45 minute headways evenings and Sundays are gone from routes 3, 4, 7, 12, 14, 15, 18, 29, 30. Most of the time on route 23. Pretty much the only all-day routes with lousy schedules now are the minor collectors like the 8, 9, 21, 26, 31.

Rush hour improvements to 5, 14, 23, 29, 30, 31, 51.

For the most part, the changes are good. I am mostly disappointed with the lack of coordination on Highway 7 and YRT/Viva.

And why is Brampton (and Oakville) the only transit systems in the GTA committed to service improvements? This year we have seen York, GO, TTC and even Mississauga cut service by various degrees. MT did start the 107, but that only runs rush hours. Brampton's airport express will run 7 days a week in September.

I wonder if GO will start cutting back its Brampton local buses, as BT has been taking over their turf, like York U, Humber College, Airport, for a lower fare (with free transfer!) and higher service level.

... They are building a new Bramalea terminal at the old civic centre across from the Regional offices, so a bit longer of a walk. The new terminal will be nicer than the old one though, with proper indoor waiting area. .

Do you know if this is under construction, or if not, when it will be? Any renderings of what it might look like? In my travels I sometimes roam around Brampton but have avoided this area recently as it has been a construction nightmare.

There is a rendering in the display boards, but it will cost some bandwidth!

It's well under construction. The plan iis a two-platform format, with an east-west layout, with the north platform with a larger building than the old terminal with more space to move about in. Both platforms look like they will have long canopies. GO and most of the local routes use the south platform, while Zum, Routes 1, 15, 18 and 101 get the north platform, which seems set up to accomodate some artics.

I like the new terminal location (not going to risk trying to open the pdf at this time of night to see what it looks like)...yes it is a slightly longer walk from the City Centre but having it at the Civic Centre makes it much easier to access for the Zum along Queen.....looks like Zum is gonna be the spine of the service so making it work as smooth as possible makes sense....hopefully there is work, also, in connecting/directing people from the City Centre (the owners there are doing a bunch of work too).

The only other spot that I thought made sense was the site of the old Peel Regional 21 division station......that is virtually right on Queen but I think I heard they were going to sell that...not sure.

Last edited:
The former police site is quite a walk from the mall.

Yes but it would make Zum more of a zoom if the terminal was closer to Queen......like I said, I have no problem with the location they chose I just wonder what will happen to the old 21 Division....growing up in Bramalea (as it was then) the old 21 Division building was a bit of a landmark building along with the Civic Centre. I hazard a guess that if either was built today people would mock the buildings....but they do provide (as buidlings should...I guess) a window into the thinking and sensibilities of the times. I really hope that building is not knocked down (of course I don't hang around that part of town often so someone may surprise me with a "it already has been" response).

For the most part, the changes are good. I am mostly disappointed with the lack of coordination on Highway 7 and YRT/Viva.

It does not bode well for Main/Hurontario. I was hoping for an arrangement similar to 77, but now that is gone...

And why is Brampton (and Oakville) the only transit systems in the GTA committed to service improvements? This year we have seen York, GO, TTC and even Mississauga cut service by various degrees. MT did start the 107, but that only runs rush hours. Brampton's airport express will run 7 days a week in September.

I think in 2009, only Oakville made major improvements. I think Brampton Transit was very quiet in comparison, not much different from the others.

Good Lord! My hometown IS building a semi-decent transit system! I still do not believe route connecting to Zum will be ramped up to every 10 minutes. The 8 Centre has been at a 40 minute frequency for as long I can remember.

Baby steps. 40 mins service for such a large city is absolutely ridiculous service. At least it's better than Mississauga, a city of 0.75M people and has NO rapid transit at all. Mississauga should have it's own subway/metro/LRT system by now.

Baby steps. 40 mins service for such a large city is absolutely ridiculous service. At least it's better than Mississauga, a city of 0.75M people and has NO rapid transit at all. Mississauga should have it's own subway/metro/LRT system by now.

Are you joking? Mississauga has had express service for decades, and an all-day express route using exclusive bus lanes since 2007. And Mississauga has plenty of routes with higher frequency than Brampton's 8 Centre.

Why we talking about 8 Centre? It's been relegated as a minor, community route.
Not every route will ever go up to 10 minutes. The schedule improvements are focused on Zum and the "support corridors" - all the main, grid routes.

Mississauga has plenty of routes the same or worse than 8 Centre. Let's try 8 Cawthra.

Last edited:

Back