News   Apr 30, 2024
 597     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 520     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Brampton Transit/Zum

So YRT chose a Spanish name, and BT chose a Swedish name, could an Elvish name be next? I think Lapsa would be a good name for MT.

Ja ja ja, mach schnell mit der art things, huh? I must get back to Dancecentrum in Stuttgart in time to see Kraftwerk.

*cringe*

why do I keep feeling the need to scream this:

WE ARE NOT IN EUROPE.

WE WILL NEVER BE A EUROPEAN ANYTHING, EVER.

and

EUROPE IS NOT THE PROMISE LAND.

This is just so, SO depressing for me....

Ja ja ja, mach schnell mit der art things, huh? I must get back to Dancecentrum in Stuttgart in time to see Kraftwerk.

*cringe*

We have ourselves a fine mascot at least.

swedish_chef_a.jpg

Em'm rodden ze buss rabbit es tron sit!

Bork! Bork! Bork!

A heavy rail metal umlaut I can understand, but a light rail or bus metal umlaut is just superfluous.

Articulated buses could be sponsored by Mazda...Züm Züm.

Believe it or not, there was a NYC restaurant chain in the 60s called "Zum Zum"...

^ Technically, I think, construction started years ago. As bits of Queen Street are redone as necessary, they take the future transit system into account. So all of the cut-outs necessary for the first phase of Acceliride (as it was then known) were put in place when the stretch of Queen between the 410 and (+/-) Bramalea Road were redone a few years ago.

Dropped by the transit office last week to pick up some scheduals, anoticed a card advertising Züm. It had a rendering of a transit stop and a bus in a magenta (maybe more red) and silver livery. I picked up a few of these but I don't have a scanner. Perhaps this will be on their website soon.

EDIT: The rendering of the bus is on their October Read and Ride : http://www.brampton.ca/transit/read-ride/ReadRide_Oct09.pdf

Last edited:
Here's some interesting news from Paul Bateson over at Brampton-Transit-News:

The City of Brampton is preparing for the construction of its new Bramalea City Centre Transit Terminal. The construction is described as a crucial component of the city’s Bus Rapid Transit initiative, Zum, which will begin operation in September 2010.

Construction will see the Bramalea City Centre Transit Terminal relocated from its current location on Clark Boulevard, on the south side of the shopping centre, to a new site in the north parking lot of the Civic Centre, close to Queen Street. The relocation is described as critical to the overall success of the Zum project as it will allow for integration of Brampton Transit’s conventional bus services with the new BRT service.

Construction of the new terminal is anticipated to begin in November 2009 with completion for August 2010.

The walk from the new terminal past Price Chopper to the Bay is quite a long walk especially for seniors and persons with walking disabilities. There will have to be a major shake up of bus routes as the new terminal would appear to be much smaller than the existing terminal which works well.

It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the well established bus routes. I have heard various rumours including the fact that Route 77 is going to eventually not come to Brampton but terminate at Highway 50 which is very disturbing news if it is true. I can see the frequency of route 1 being reduced because most of it is duplicated by the BRT which will zoom past some of the bus stops. Presumably routes 15 and 18 will become true grid routes forcing passengers to change at Queen and Bramalea and Queen and Dixie respectively. Will the frequency of route 1 be reduced as it is duplicated by the limited stop BRT? I wonder if routes will be interlined to avoid layovers? In fact, my initial reaction is why have a bus terminal at all. Just make everything grid and make the passengers stand on a street corner just so they can zoom to their final destination.

I have heard that the Shoppers World terminal is to be relocated to the North West corner of Highway 10 and Steeles in connection with the BRT service on Main Street but I have no dates on that project. A new GO terminal is now open at Highway 10 / Derry close to the 407 and served by route 2 which has now been withdrawn from County Court Boulevard.

Oh, and Leyland double-decker bus 8500 has been officially retired.

I don't think the 77 terminating at Highway 50 is such a big deal if Zum Queen goes all the way to York U / Downsview / Vaughan Corp. Centre.

Anyone know.....

....why these services (VIVA and Zum, etc) need to be branded differently than the core transit service?

Seems to me that the TTC gets by ok by just branding all of their services (buses, streetcars, subways, srt) as TTC.......not sure why or how this trend got started...figured someone here might know.

The idea is that people typically associate the standard 905 transit service brands with poor or limited service. The VIVA/Zuem brands are designed to suggest a rapid transit service where riders can just show up at the stops and get a fast service. They're specifically designed to compete with the car, while the regular service is mostly designed to either shuttle people to GO or to serve people who don't drive.

Back