News   May 07, 2024
 480     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 434     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 915     3 

Brampton Transit/Zum

What Zum route runs on Derry Rd at Hurontario St as I saw one going east today and the first one I have seen on it?? Not up in that area much these days.

Lack of drivers right across the transit industry is a big issue to the point some system are cancelling routes and cutting the headways on others

What Zum route runs on Derry Rd at Hurontario St as I saw one going east today and the first one I have seen on it?? Not up in that area much these days.

Lack of drivers right across the transit industry is a big issue to the point some system are cancelling routes and cutting the headways on others
Probably a Zum bus running on the 7 Kennedy route. At this point BT will run whatever bus they think they need on any given route
1700897966340.png

Probably a Zum bus running on the 7 Kennedy route. At this point BT will run whatever bus they think they need on any given route
View attachment 522864
Thanks.
It would have to be a 6 not a 7 as it was coming from the west due to the shortage of buses, I assume an Zum bus was used and it was an articulated one that caused me to ask the question.

On Wednesday BT is going to Committee of Council for RFP approval for the Chinguacousy Zum. Notably it plans to include significant bicycle improvements in the project.

Timeline
View attachment 522808

Cost
View attachment 522809
Awesome to see. A few of the curbs on the multi-use path are really rough to go over, and could use some redoing, the one at Nelson Mandela school is particularly bad. I hope they also remove the slip lanes along Ching, been almost hit a few times at Ching and Bovaird.

Awesome to see. A few of the curbs on the multi-use path are really rough to go over, and could use some redoing, the one at Nelson Mandela school is particularly bad. I hope they also remove the slip lanes along Ching, been almost hit a few times at Ching and Bovaird.

There are very few slip lanes on City of Brampton roadways, but Region of Peel loves them. Unfortunately, Bovaird & Chinguacousy is a ROP-maintained intersection, at least for another 14 months.

The Accessibility Advisory Committee Meeting will feature a presentation on the new bus MSF and it features extremely detailed site facility slides. I was unfortunately unable to attach the slide deck due to it being 48 megabytes

I can't quite tell on some of the slides if they are moving away from having men's and women's washrooms and change rooms to having consolidated washrooms and change rooms with stalls for changing.
1701036703150.png

1701743509812.png

The 2024 budget proposes 114 people added to provide 108.5k growth service hours, 35k service hours more than contemplated in the 5 year plan released less than a year ago. In addition to these 114 hires, Brampton Transit is also requesting permission to add 50 additional operators to add 0 service hours for $0 net cost, in order to respond to catastrophically high absenteeism and long term disability.

1701743852617.png

Net adding 136 operators in addition to filling the typical 35-50 positions that are vacated each year is certainly ambitious. Under the previous model of cohorts of 12 operators trained per 6 week class, that would have taken approximately 1.5 years to train 136 net new operators+35 replacements, and under the 20 operator cohort model it will take approximately a full year to train them. The system is planning to scale up to a training cohort of 30, which will allow them to train the entire cohort within a single year, even after accounting for holidays. Overall I am pleased that the new head of BT, Heidi, has such ambition.

View attachment 524794
The 2024 budget proposes 114 people added to provide 108.5k growth service hours, 35k service hours more than contemplated in the 5 year plan released less than a year ago. In addition to these 114 hires, Brampton Transit is also requesting permission to add 50 additional operators to add 0 service hours for $0 net cost, in order to respond to catastrophically high absenteeism and long term disability.

View attachment 524795
Net adding 136 operators in addition to filling the typical 35-50 positions that are vacated each year is certainly ambitious. Under the previous model of cohorts of 12 operators trained per 6 week class, that would have taken approximately 1.5 years to train 136 net new operators+35 replacements, and under the 20 operator cohort model it will take approximately a full year to train them. The system is planning to scale up to a training cohort of 30, which will allow them to train the entire cohort within a single year, even after accounting for holidays. Overall I am pleased that the new head of BT, Heidi, has such ambition.

This certainly explains why the budgeted service improvements haven’t happened yet.

View attachment 524956View attachment 524958
Some slides from the Brampton Transit presentation the other day. The 504 can't come fast enough.
The way that 18 Dixie just boomed. Its probably more to do with all the employment areas between Steeles-Courtneypark and also huge connections with the Miway Derry, Tomken and Dixie buses.

Chinguacousy suffers the way it does today because its technically the most frequent route on the far west side of Brampton and its mainly filled with residential homes on both sides for its entire duration. There are barely any other alternatives besides maybe the 6, which doesn't really run as frequent as it should now.

The way that the 4/4A is routed between the stops of Mt Pleasant and Chinguacousy/Wanless, on some parts of the day its already nearly filled by the time you reach that point, and then completely packed by the time you pass Sandalwood.

504 can help a lot if only done right. It absolutely cannot be another 505 situation with infrequent schedules, short buses only, and unreliability otherwise this would not help as much in the slightest.

The way that 18 Dixie just boomed. Its probably more to do with all the employment areas between Steeles-Courtneypark and also huge connections with the Miway Derry, Tomken and Dixie buses.

Chinguacousy suffers the way it does today because its technically the most frequent route on the far west side of Brampton and its mainly filled with residential homes on both sides for its entire duration. There are barely any other alternatives besides maybe the 6, which doesn't really run as frequent as it should now.

The way that the 4/4A is routed between the stops of Mt Pleasant and Chinguacousy/Wanless, on some parts of the day its already nearly filled by the time you reach that point, and then completely packed by the time you pass Sandalwood.

504 can help a lot if only done right. It absolutely cannot be another 505 situation with infrequent schedules, short buses only, and unreliability otherwise this would not help as much in the slightest.
The 18 Dixie and 7 Kennedy have always been workhorses for Brampton Transit. They function like traditional commuter routes, taking residents to "blue collar" employment areas. The 18 particularly has always been undercapacity; about a decade ago I was part-time working at my dad's workplace at Dixie/Advance and it was common enough that I would have to take the second bus at rush hour.

They're just not attractive for Zum routes, because they don't have multiple useful/high trip attractors, even they clearly both could use it. Bramalea has a high ridership, but lower than the 18 or 7, but it's clearly been chosen because it hits a whole bunch of major trip drivers (hospital, Chinguacousy Park, BCC, Bramalea GO, Airport).

Back