Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Why? There are very few GA/Training airports in the GTA and several have closed in the last few years, it's also a very useful link for Medevac flights that are too far away to use a helicopter.
Because the land could be put to a far better use?

Negotiations must be starting on airport gate as the media campaign has begun!

Discussions between the Airport (Nieuport Aviation) Ports Toronto and the City have been happening for a bit now.

The Triparte agreement doesn't expire til 2033; but Federal Regulations will require runway extensions to be in place by early 2027 or the airport could be shut down.

The action here should start to see daylight later this year I would think.

A report was pegged to go Executive Ctte either this quarter or next.

Last edited:
Discussions between the Airport (Nieuport Aviation) Ports Toronto and the City have been happening for a bit now.

The Triparte agreement doesn't expire til 2033; but Federal Regulations will require runway extensions to be in place by mid 2027 or the airport could be shut down.

The action here should start to see daylight later this year I would think.
Believe it or not the ‘deadline’ to make a permanent decision is actually very close as it is Ports Toronto’s position that to secure financing for such a large project they need a very long-term timeline for repayment. Also construction is very complex and needs extensive approvals and reviews. WaterfrontForAll has a lot of info.

Believe it or not the ‘deadline’ to make a permanent decision is actually very close as it is Ports Toronto’s position that to secure financing for such a large project they need a very long-term timeline for repayment. Also construction is very complex and needs extensive approvals and reviews. WaterfrontForAll has a lot of info.

I am ............informed..........on this file.

... Federal Regulations will require runway extensions to be in place by early 2027 or the airport could be shut down...
Is it a certainty that the airport would have to be shut down without them?
In trying to understand those descriptions from 11 years ago
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...ter-rwy-08-26-extension-assessment-052413.pdf
(although I'm no expert, and may be incorrect), it looks like:
-doing nothing and not adding the Runway End Safety Areas (RESAs) would mean only the smaller 9 passenger planes would be allowed.
-construction would be required to add the RESAs extending out into the lake to maintain the current operational length of the main runway.
-using the ends of the present runway for RESAs would shorten its operational length, thus reducing the maximum allowable take-off weights of the Q400 planes, decreasing their fuel load and eliminate some destinations. Do we know which ones?
I would guess if they could no longer fly to Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc., Porter and Jazz/Air Canada Express would likely cease using YTZ.

Is it a certainty that the airport would have to be shut down without them?
In trying to understand those descriptions from 11 years ago
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...ter-rwy-08-26-extension-assessment-052413.pdf
(although I'm no expert, and may be incorrect), it looks like:
-doing nothing and not adding the Runway End Safety Areas (RESAs) would mean only the smaller 9 passenger planes would be allowed.
-construction would be required to add the RESAs extending out into the lake to maintain the current operational length of the main runway.
-using the ends of the present runway for RESAs would shorten its operational length, thus reducing the maximum allowable take-off weights of the Q400 planes, decreasing their fuel load and eliminate some destinations. Do we know which ones?
I would guess if they could no longer fly to Montreal, New York, Chicago, etc., Porter and Jazz/Air Canada Express would likely cease using YTZ.

If Porter and Air Canada really wanted to continue to use BB airport, they could do something like switch to ATR 72's, which would still work off the runway as is with the new regs. They dont fly quite as fast or as far as q400s but it would be a question of whether it was worth it to continue to use the airport there.

If Porter and Air Canada really wanted to continue to use BB airport, they could do something like switch to ATR 72's, which would still work off the runway as is with the new regs. They dont fly quite as fast or as far as q400s but it would be a question of whether it was worth it to continue to use the airport there.
I used to fly with Porter to Halifax out of BB. But now that Porter got the new Embraer jets and flies out of Pearson, I can't really see myself ever using BB again.

I could be wrong but it felt like the Embraers got me to Halifax quicker than the Dash-8s.

Back