Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Wouldn't a gondola be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to push behemoths up and down a steep bridge over cold open water (what could go wrong?)?

There is a public meeting about the runway extension on 17 July...
https://www.facebook.com/events/485825274047236/
The construction of RESA will not lengthen the active runway... The boundaries and size of the existing Marine Exclusion Zone will also remain unchanged.
(RESA = Runway End Safety Area)
The active runway? That's still a little vague about whether the RESAs will be on the existing land at the ends of the present main runway, or be newly constructed as extensions.

I was at Billy Bishop on June 30th for my flight to Moncton. The lounge was packed. Good to see this regional airport still getting a lot of foot traffic.

I thought since the UP Express reduced their fares, this airport would get less traffic. Not the case.

Waiting at the "check in" line up, it sounded like a lot of people were flying to American destinations.

Negotiations must be starting on airport gate as the media campaign has begun!
There was a card in my mailbox. My immediate reaction was that it seemed a little weird, creepy, and suspicious that they're trying to get people to join some sort of campaign to tell them how great they are, without any mention of why, or what it is they're trying to accomplish.
Eww.
YTZ_card.JPG

Last edited:
For anyone flying Porter out of Billy Bishop today........pedestrian tunnel is flooded........but airport is open, you need the ferry to get over.

There were some reports on Reddit that Billy Bishop was affected by the power outage.

Also, I have received itsmyairport google ads in the past.

Wouldn't a gondola be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to push behemoths up and down a steep bridge over cold open water (what could go wrong?)?
Probably! But why settle for cheaper?? Imagine a seamless streetcar ride from Union, Exhibition or Bathurst, crossing over the western gap, gazing over the harbour and arriving at an incredible destination on the island, magically transported from the city??
It's of course aspirational, but we deserve it!!

This seems to indicate that the intention is to keep the present operational length of the main runway, by saying that they want to add the Runway End Safety Areas as "landmass extension", which requires the opening of the Tripartite Agreement.
https://openjaw.com/newsroom/other-...quired-development-of-toronto-island-airport/
... "must have RESA constructed by July 12, 2027 ... construction will require the opening of the Tripartite Agreement (governance agreement for the airport) to allow for RESA, specifically a landmass extension to provide space for the RESA (currently precluded in the agreement) and a term extension to allow for financing of this significant capital project. The term of the current Tripartite Agreement comes to an end in 2033, but we require this agreement to be opened much sooner in order to allow compliance with RESA according to the timeline required by Transport Canada,” ...
As previously mentioned, using existing land for RESAs would shorten the operational length of the main runway, reduce the maximum allowable take-off weight (with less fuel) of the Q400 turboprop planes used by Porter and Air Canada Express/Jazz, and presumably stop them from being able to reach some of their present destinations.

Last edited:
This seems to indicate that the intention is to keep the present operational length of the main runway, by saying that they want to add the Runway End Safety Areas as "landmass extension", which requires the opening of the Tripartite Agreement.
https://openjaw.com/newsroom/other-...quired-development-of-toronto-island-airport/

As previously mentioned, using existing land for RESAs would shorten the operational length of the main runway, reduce the maximum allowable take-off weight of the Q400 turboprop planes used by Porter and Air Canada Express/Jazz, and presumably eliminate some of their present detinations.

You're in the right direction by have noted this............

But you may me need to ask a few more questions..............

Reactions: PL1

Back