Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I think the cruising speed is a bit higher.

But does it make up for how slow to do anything at Pearson?
I've departed from Pearson four times since the start of this year. Security, baggage have been relatively quick.

I asked one of the CATSA agents why everything seems to be running so much smoother/faster and she said it seems like fewer people are flying this year.

This seems to be the case with all the other major airports in Canada. I've been through YVR, YCR, YEG, YHZ so far this year. YHZ had no lineup when I showed up at 8am. Stark difference from when I went through in 2022 and the security lineup stretched all the way to departures.

I'd rather retain some competition in the form of BB. Plus, seeing the little cool planes taking off and landing is one of the downtown's attractions.

However, I don't want an extended runway, that would kind of dominate the waterfront.

If it can remain commercially viable in the current geometry, then it should keep going. If not then, sadly, it might have to be EOL.

I've departed from Pearson four times since the start of this year. Security, baggage have been relatively quick.

I asked one of the CATSA agents why everything seems to be running so much smoother/faster and she said it seems like fewer people are flying this year.

That's a fascinating response. Q1 2024 numbers at Pearson were up over Q1 2023 for both domestic (2.6%) and international (11.8%) passenger counts.

CATSA daily data updated to May 6th [multiple airports combined, not just Pearson] also shows most days have higher passenger counts than 2023.

Reactions: PL1
That's a fascinating response. Q1 2024 numbers at Pearson were up over Q1 2023 for both domestic (2.6%) and international (11.8%) passenger counts.

CATSA daily data updated to May 6th [multiple airports combined, not just Pearson] also shows most days have higher passenger counts than 2023.

I've only been flying domestic this year out of terminal 3. I'm not seeing any long lineups like I did pre-covid and during covid.

This seems to be the case with all the other major airports in Canada. I've been through YVR, YCR, YEG, YHZ so far this year. YHZ had no lineup when I showed up at 8am. Stark difference from when I went through in 2022 and the security lineup stretched all the way to departures.
The problems with long line-ups, etc., were mostly about staffing shortages at the time, with presumably more people being hired and trained since then.
The thought expressed by some then, that having more traffic at YTZ would have improved the situation, seemed nonsensical. There would have just been two under-staffed airports.

Last edited:
From the Toronto Board of Trade report on Unlocking the Waterfront:

Billy Bishop Generates $2.1B in GDP and over 4000 jobs.
Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 2.56.30 PM.png

The question to ask about this is: How much of that GDP/jobs would be lost if the airlines move their operations to Pearson? Does Pearson have capacity to absorb those trips, and if so would that economic impact remain, but just arrive via Pearson?
What about the potential GDP/jobs impact of other potential uses of that land? Even in you lost 25% of the economic impact by moving the trips to Pearson, could a big destination on the central waterfront make up for that or even exceed it?

These types of numbers seem huge, but they need to be put in context of alternative uses.

Thanks for posting! Leaving off the date of $ generated is on purpose. I wonder why? Going down each year?

I used to fly with Porter to Halifax out of BB. But now that Porter got the new Embraer jets and flies out of Pearson, I can't really see myself ever using BB again.

I could be wrong but it felt like the Embraers got me to Halifax quicker than the Dash-8s.
Well I guess I spoke too soon. My employer asked me to go to Moncton in July, and since Porter doesn't fly to Moncton out of Pearson, it looks like I'm going to be going to Billy Bishop again.

Could have chosen Air Canada out of Pearson, but had to make sure I booked the more affordable option so as to satisfy my employer when they reimburse me for the flight.

Back