Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

I'm not sure what the fuss is about - I booked a ticket to fly to YQM back in July for the same price when they had a 30% off sale. Unless the price has just been bumped on that route only.

By and large, you're correct, it is a 50% off sale on higher regular priced fares.

I would like to give a different point of view, a bit politely though.

I have travelled to Ottawa a few times. Regular fares are much higher. Before writing this post, I did price check. Ticket to Ottawa, 3 weeks hence, is at $ 89.00. Last week, during 50% of promotion, I had booked return flight to Ottawa towards the end of October. Cost of the ticket was $ 45.00 1-way.

I have found the fares to Ottawa vary a lot during the year and during the week. Parliament being in session can make a difference as the flights will generally be busier then. You can also save a lot if you are willing to be flexible as to time.

I have found the fares to Ottawa vary a lot during the year and during the week. Parliament being in session can make a difference as the flights will generally be busier then. You can also save a lot if you are willing to be flexible as to time.

Barring a few black-out periods, West Jet has a standard policy/rates regarding trips to Ottawa -- and I am sure it applies to other destinations as well.

If you book a ticket 3 weeks in advamce, the rate is $ 49.00 1-way, 2 weeks in advance it is $ 69.00 and 1 week in advance it is $ 89.00. Porter, on the other hand, does not have any such standard policy/rates.

I have just checked on their website. A few seats are going for $ 39.00.

Porter must be doing well with its Mont Tremblant service.
https://www.flyporter.com/About/News-Release-Details?id=164&culture=en-CA

They will be starting their YTZ-YTM service on December 15th this year and will have 13 weekly roundtrips at the peak time in February and March. They are also introducing new weekly service to Mt. Tremblant from Newark.

In other news, Porter had its busiest month ever in September, moving 212,000 passengers with a 68% load factor.
https://www.flyporter.com/About/News-Release-Details?id=165&culture=en-CA

Also, if you book and travel by November 15th on the YUL-YTZ route, you will get 2000 VIPorter points per flight (normally you get 375 for a "firm" ticket with 7500 required for a free flight)

Right-On.....Good news:cool:

Ottawa allows pedestrian tunnel to Toronto Island airport
The federal government has cleared the way for a pedestrian tunnel to connect downtown Toronto with its island airport.

Transport Minister Denis Lebel says regulations have been changed to allow construction of the tunnel allowing people to walk to Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

At the moment, travellers must take a short ferry ride to the airport.

The Toronto Port Authority proposed building the tunnel back in 2009, saying it would help deal with the increasing number of passengers using the airport.

But the port authority's regulations had prohibited the building of a bridge or similar fixed link between the mainland and the Toronto Islands.

The new amendment to the regulations removes the prohibition as it relates to a pedestrian tunnel.

The port authority has said the cost of the tunnel will be covered by a mix of private sector financing and an airport improvement fee.

“The pedestrian tunnel will supplement the current ferry service and make it easier for passengers to get to and from the airport, and help reduce congestion for both air passengers and local residents,” Mr. Lebel said Thursday.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nel-to-toronto-island-airport/article2200380/

Toronto island airport tunnel approved
The federal government has cleared the way for a pedestrian tunnel to connect downtown Toronto with its island airport.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/13/toornto-airport-tunnel.html

Last edited:
This will be such an improvement for passengers... I was flying out of YTZ on Friday evening before Thanksgiving and the ferry lineup was crazy. I got to the mainland side just when the ferry was pulling in, and it must've taken at least 20 minutes just to unload and load before we undocked again... I'm sure some people must've missed their flights.

Does anyone have an idea what the timeline for this is now?

and here is Transport Canada's news release....

Government of Canada moves to ease passenger movement at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
No. H098/11
For release - October 13, 2011

TORONTO — The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, today announced regulations have been changed to allow the construction of a pedestrian tunnel connecting mainland downtown Toronto to the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (BBTCA).

"The pedestrian tunnel will supplement the current ferry service and make it easier for passengers to get to and from the airport, and help reduce congestion for both air passengers and local residents," said Minister Lebel.

A pedestrian tunnel will provide convenient additional access that will reduce congestion, and facilitate more efficient airport terminal operations and passenger movement. It will also provide reliable, round-the-clock, all-weather access between the airport and mainland Toronto.

The Toronto Port Authority (TPA) proposed building a pedestrian tunnel connecting the BBTCA to the Western Gap of the Toronto harbour to manage increased passenger flows at the airport in 2009. Previously, the Toronto Port Authority Regulations prohibited the building of a bridge or similar fixed link between mainland Toronto and the Toronto Islands. The amendment to the regulations removes the prohibition as it relates to a pedestrian tunnel.

The TPA has indicated that costs associated with the pedestrian tunnel will be funded through a mix of private-sector financing and the Airport Improvement Fee.

The regulatory amendment will not change existing restrictions in place related to air operations and the allowable number of flights.

The amendment will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, on October 12, 2011. For more information about the amendment to the regulations, please visit www.gazette.gc.ca.

Barring a few black-out periods, West Jet has a standard policy/rates regarding trips to Ottawa -- and I am sure it applies to other destinations as well.

If you book a ticket 3 weeks in advamce, the rate is $ 49.00 1-way, 2 weeks in advance it is $ 69.00 and 1 week in advance it is $ 89.00. Porter, on the other hand, does not have any such standard policy/rates.

I have just checked on their website. A few seats are going for $ 39.00.

Not sure what your guys are happy about these so called "promotion". The quoted price is usually half of what you usually pay, so while you may pay $49 or $69, isn't there like $140 on top of that which no promotion ever touches? So 30% off is actually 15% off and 50% off is actually 25%.

It is frustrating to pay $143 surcharges for a YYZ-LGA while my American friend recently paid like $20 for Salt Lake City - Boston, which takes 3 times as long.

and here is Transport Canada's news release....

Government of Canada moves to ease passenger movement at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
No. H098/11
For release - October 13, 2011

TORONTO — The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, today announced regulations have been changed to allow the construction of a pedestrian tunnel connecting mainland downtown Toronto to the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (BBTCA).

"The pedestrian tunnel will supplement the current ferry service and make it easier for passengers to get to and from the airport, and help reduce congestion for both air passengers and local residents," said Minister Lebel.

A pedestrian tunnel will provide convenient additional access that will reduce congestion, and facilitate more efficient airport terminal operations and passenger movement. It will also provide reliable, round-the-clock, all-weather access between the airport and mainland Toronto.

The Toronto Port Authority (TPA) proposed building a pedestrian tunnel connecting the BBTCA to the Western Gap of the Toronto harbour to manage increased passenger flows at the airport in 2009. Previously, the Toronto Port Authority Regulations prohibited the building of a bridge or similar fixed link between mainland Toronto and the Toronto Islands. The amendment to the regulations removes the prohibition as it relates to a pedestrian tunnel.

The TPA has indicated that costs associated with the pedestrian tunnel will be funded through a mix of private-sector financing and the Airport Improvement Fee.

The regulatory amendment will not change existing restrictions in place related to air operations and the allowable number of flights.

The amendment will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part II, on October 12, 2011. For more information about the amendment to the regulations, please visit www.gazette.gc.ca.

Great news. The existence and growth of Porter is really one of the nicest things I like about Toronto. A tunnel will make it even better. It is probably the world's most stupid ferry ride. I hope nobody says "oh, that actually adds characters to Toronto by wasting every passenger 20 minutes just to cross the distance of 30 meters".

Yet another ski destination: Burlington, Vermont. YTZ-BTV flights will be Thursdays and Sundays (Mondays on long weekends) starting December 15th and running through April 8th. There will be connection opportunities for Montreal, Ottawa, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Timmins and Windsor.

http://vtdigger.org/2011/10/13/gov-...nounce-deal-for-air-service-to-toronto/print/

Special Porter ski packages from Stowe Mountain Resort, Jay Peak, Smugglers Notch and Sugarbush will be offered at the Ski, Snowboard & Travel show in Toronto, October 13-16, and at www.skivermont.com in the coming week.
Schedule for Burlington

Thursday
PD987 YTZ-BTV Dep 1600 Arr 1710
PD988 BTV-YTZ Dep 1810 Arr 1930

Sunday
PD987 YTZ-BTV Dep 1730 Arr 1840
PD988 BTV-YTZ Dep 1940 Arr 2100

Schedule for Timmins

Monday-Friday:
PD653 YTZ-YTS Dep 0835 Arr 1000
PD655 YTZ-YTS Dep 1555 Arr 1720
PD657 YTZ-YTS Dep 2140 Arr 2305