News   Mar 28, 2024
 166     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Beijing Olympic 2008

Intense China haters, intense China defenders, I don't know which I find more disturbing.....

The Quebecois are descendants of the French that lost to the British, mind you, the French lost pretty much every war they've been involved in. I sometimes think it must be difficult to be a recruiter for the military in France...you can hardly use your past success as a sales point.

O RLY?

Sigh. I really really really wanna root for the Canadians...but they just suck big time!!!

Is there really needed to send so many athletes to the games when 90% of them suck so bad? Why waste $$ sending them there? Why not just send a few that can make it to the next round? LOL

What an embarrassment display by the Canadians so far.

GOLD CHINA GOLD!

^ Someone's been watching Bob McCown's Prime Time Sports lately?

While I'm not too impressed with the performances so far, Canada has realistically only had a couple shots at a medal so far. Rowing/kayaking is coming up and Canada has some favourites there. I would say there's really only been a couple poor performances, but in the pool especially there have been some surprises that will hopefully make for a strong showing in 2012.

As for China, Olympic Ceremonies aren't the only thing faked. Looks like a few Chinese gymnasts might be younger than their passports say they are, thanks to a bit of forgery.

I don't really understand that either. After watching NBC's coverage of the Olympics last night they kept talking about the Chinese being under age.

Who cares if they are under age. If they have reached that level of greatness at any age, why shouldn't they be able to compete? If a 14 year old is better at gymnastics than some 20 year old with over 15 years of training, maybe you should train harder.

It's been really nice to see the Chinese gymnasts pull through and get things done. Isn't there some 14 year old American diver in the olympics?

gawd the lack of medals from canada is embarrassing, as are the faltering canadian results with poor performances. as if athens results wasn't bad enough already. in a way, i'm starting to feel a hint of gladness for toronto not winning the hosting rights to 08 games.. less world attention on our medal results.

plus, we would have never been able to put up such a spectacular opening ceremony (fake stuff aside).

gawd the lack of medals from canada is embarrassing, as are the faltering canadian results with poor performances. as if athens results wasn't bad enough already. in a way, i'm starting to feel a hint of gladness for toronto not winning the hosting rights to 08 games.. less world attention on our medal results.

plus, we would have never been able to put up such a spectacular opening ceremony (fake stuff aside).

Of course not. Canada wouldn't have a opening ceremony filled with video effects and fake singer.

I didn't get that whole scandal. Are younger gymnasts better than older ones?

I don't really understand that either. After watching NBC's coverage of the Olympics last night they kept talking about the Chinese being under age.

Who cares if they are under age. If they have reached that level of greatness at any age, why shouldn't they be able to compete? If a 14 year old is better at gymnastics than some 20 year old with over 15 years of training, maybe you should train harder.

It's been really nice to see the Chinese gymnasts pull through and get things done. Isn't there some 14 year old American diver in the olympics?

Rarely does a female gymnast compete into her 20s. The wear and tear gets to their small bodies. The younger they are the more agile/flexible they tend to be. Also, there's a psychological factor as well since younger gymnasts are less likely to fear something or suffer from a detrimental psychological issue that can impact performance (something like being unable to do a move smoothly because the brain blocks it. If you want an example of how bad this can get watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50K65PNeBU ). Usually younger athletes haven't had serious injuries and have no concept of the future, so it makes it easier for them to pull off risky moves. Different sports have different age rules. Phelps swam as a 15 year old, but there's no real risk in swimming. It's based purely on talent and since every sport if different, it's up to the sport's governing body to set that minimum. For gymnastics it's 16 because there's a safety issue. They don't want a bunch of paralyzed 11 year olds to tarnish the sport

Back